Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > opinions on a good handgun for my somewhat different needs..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 03:39 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 20

[QUOTE=sweeper22;367903]Last edited by canebrake; Today at 02:34 PM. Reason: 38spl not 32cal QUOTE]

Uh Cane...notice that's a 327mag, not 357....

Old 10-14-2010, 03:54 AM   #22
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Liked 1904 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 691

The LCP is a purpose made for self-defense and concealability. It is not a sporting gun. I would not recommend it for what you have described.

What you described on your second post would make me move toward a .22. The .22 magnum of the PMR 30 looks kind of interesting, but why not go with the standard for a sporting round. A .22lr would allow you to shoot 2 to 3 times as much if not more than the .22mag.

Just a thought.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-14-2010, 04:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
The LCP is a purpose made for self-defense and concealability. It is not a sporting gun. I would not recommend it for what you have described.

What you described on your second post would make me move toward a .22. The .22 magnum of the PMR 30 looks kind of interesting, but why not go with the standard for a sporting round. A .22lr would allow you to shoot 2 to 3 times as much if not more than the .22mag.

Just a thought.
Well, what was going on in my mind was the 22mag + 30 shell clips would help it fit either role. (since I only plan on buying one gun, lol) What I've been reading makes it at least sound like it's lighter & has less recoil than comparable, full size, guns? The 22 I fired was a compact.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:19 AM   #24

Default Good Thinking question:)

Tinytacohead: Sir, your question still poses questions. wow
Generally speaking, {some} semi auto's have a ?hard? pull slide. i.e. ''racking the slide" to chamber a round.

It is an issue that can be very difficult. It doesn't seem to matter the calibre', they all are about the same. {not relative, to ammo size}

Choosing the .22 is a good choice in anyones arsenal. Shot placement, as always; the proper.
Bang per $; .22 wins
Re-coil .22 wins

Practice and practice lots; while learning and having fun

follow up when you can:

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 10-14-2010, 06:51 AM   #25

Liked 7548 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

Ref: Shoulder stock on a handgun- Regrets. With exception of a very few high dollar ORGINAL Lugers, Broomhandle Mausers, and Browning High Powers, under US law, adding a shoulder stock to a handgun just caused it to transform into a horribly ugly, baby eating monster called a Short Barreled Rifle (or SBR) These are regulated like machine guns, sawed off shotguns, etc. They must be registered with the Federal BATFE, and a $200 transfer tax paid on them.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Ref: Shoulder stock on a handgun- Regrets. With exception of a very few high dollar ORGINAL Lugers, Broomhandle Mausers, and Browning High Powers, under US law, adding a shoulder stock to a handgun just caused it to transform into a horribly ugly, baby eating monster called a Short Barreled Rifle (or SBR) These are regulated like machine guns, sawed off shotguns, etc. They must be registered with the Federal BATFE, and a $200 transfer tax paid on them.
Thanks for the info. I'm guessing that's a national law with no exceptions? I know given my condition, a class-Q WV hunter license offers some interesting abilities, one area being allowable bow equipment.. I can legally use a cross-bow lock, allowing me to draw it back & lock it in position while I wait for Sasquatch to wander into range. (as opposed to holding it drawn manually) That $200 tax, is it annual or one time per baby eating monster?

Neophyte1, thanks for the warning regarding slides. That's something I've been wondering about & hope to converse with an owner regarding, prior to purchase. (somebody asked that exact question on a YouTube vid, in regards to a possible arthritic buyer) I could still change my mind, but what I'm thinking is this.. I'll stick with the PMR-30 idea, but give it till say spring time to be further refined. That said, LCP's & similar can be had new, relatively cheap, so I may go ahead & quit pretending I'm gonna stick with one gun. As always, thanks everybody for all the input too, and any to come!

Old 10-15-2010, 05:12 AM   #27
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5610 Times on 3300 Posts
Likes Given: 4695

A little off the wall, but what about the 10-22 charger? Would it be too heavy? You can get banana mags that hold 50 22LR's.

Gander Mountain® > Ruger Charger Pistol 22 LR - Firearms > Handguns > Semi-Auto Pistols :

Cheap ammo & comes with a lil bipod, i bleve. http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/ST_ruger22charger_200905/

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Last edited by orangello; 10-15-2010 at 05:16 AM.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:50 AM   #28

Liked 7548 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1119

TThead- yeah, Federal law- the 1934 Gun Control Act- thats the one that covers machineguns, detructive devices, short barreled shortguns, AOWs, and suppressors. Somehow they overlooked slingshots and pointy sticks. Tell you what, tho- in the next couple of weeks, I should be seeing one of the folks at my range that works with the Wounded Warrior program- we do shoots for the youngsters from the VA hospital that are healing up from wounds (long term cases- they are there for months, some get a pass to go out for a day, we take them fishing or shooting) many of those kids have lost hands, feet, etc, and Charlie may have some thoughts on what would work for you- if so, i'll send you a PM.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #29
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Liked 1904 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinytacohead View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm guessing that's a national law with no exceptions? I know given my condition, a class-Q WV hunter license offers some interesting abilities, one area being allowable bow equipment.. I can legally use a cross-bow lock, allowing me to draw it back & lock it in position while I wait for Sasquatch to wander into range. (as opposed to holding it drawn manually) That $200 tax, is it annual or one time per baby eating monster?

Neophyte1, thanks for the warning regarding slides. That's something I've been wondering about & hope to converse with an owner regarding, prior to purchase. (somebody asked that exact question on a YouTube vid, in regards to a possible arthritic buyer) I could still change my mind, but what I'm thinking is this.. I'll stick with the PMR-30 idea, but give it till say spring time to be further refined. That said, LCP's & similar can be had new, relatively cheap, so I may go ahead & quit pretending I'm gonna stick with one gun. As always, thanks everybody for all the input too, and any to come!
I doubt the springs on a PMR-30 should be any problem.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-17-2010, 01:03 AM   #30
JTJ

Liked 1245 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 439

I dont want to sound mean but I keep looking at the criteria and I dont see where one gun will do what you want or need.
Weak hands!
Can you operate a slide or load a mag?
How much weight can you support and for how long?
How much recoil can you stand? You will have to shoot some different guns to find that out.

I am suggesting a 38 spl 15-18oz revolver for a defense gun. Get the trigger worked over if necessary. Add a lazer which may also give you a more comfortable grip. Get some speed loaders. You had to use a rest for the .357 so you have to keep it light but not too light. You need to strike a balance between weight and recoil. Stay away from compensated barrels. They will blind you in low light. I found that out the hard way. The S&W suggested earlier is a good choice but there are others. You might look at the Ruger LCRs but I would suggest the 357 with 38 spl loads. It is a little heavier than the 38 and will have less recoil of the two.

Get a good .22lr for practice and target. I would suggest the same action as your defense weapon. Again get the trigger worked over if necessary. It can also be used for small game. If you want to hunt larger game, you will need to rig some kind of support to your chair or stand and use a heavier handgun with a more powerful cartridge. Thompson Contenders come to mind as they have a lot of choices and can be cutomised to your needs with over the counter parts.
My wife hates loading mags so I usually have to do it. She will shoot a revolver single action for hours. Double action is too stiff for her on the standard DA revolvers but she can shoot my worked over lazered DAO Ruger SP101 with 38spl loads or even the 110 gr 357's. On the standard revolvers, she cocks the hammer with her left thumb so she does not lose the right grip.