Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > opinions on a good handgun for my somewhat different needs..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Smith & Wesson Model 60, nuff said...

Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Someone suggested a Sig P6. It's a great pistol, but it's single stack, so capacity is limited. That is also why I didn't suggest a revolver.

Since you have mobility issues, my thought is for you to have as much firepower at your disposal as possible. Since evasion might be an issue.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7572 Times on 3299 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

As the folks have said- all other things being equal, the lighter gun WILL kick more- Law of physics- action and reaction. You also need to consider if you have the upper body strength to operate the action of a semi-auto pistol. (Secret, by the way, it to hold pistol in right hand, pointing slightly left, use left hand to hold action, and PUSH hands towards each other- NOT to hold with one hand and PULL with other) A very small readily concealable handgun is also not a first choice as a target gun.

Have a friend that is a chair user- lost both legs. He shoots a 6 inch 357 mag- conceals in the bag on the side of the chair. .38 Special wadcutter gives light recoil, very accurate target use, switch to JHP .357 for social purpose things. There is also the .327 magnum, reportedly giving manageable recoil, but energies in the respectable range for self defense. Ammo will cost more due to uniqueness, but you can also shoot 32 magnum, and 32 S&W- a bit of a *****cat, but the .32s can be some match accurate guns. Have not had personal experience with the .327 mag, so cannot give a reccomendation- but worth looking at.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Okay, no revolvers. Be the first one on your block to own and shoot one of these:

Kel-Tec PMR-30 pistol | The Firearm Blog

The Kel Tec PMR-30 holds 30 rounds of .22 magnum ammo in its magazine. You could load this pistol and shoot 1 round a day every day for a month. In February you'd have a couple of rounds left over. And the .22 magnum round has power behind it and does not recoil bad at all. Like the article says, "Thirty rounds is a lot of ammo."

Old 10-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #15

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Someone suggested a Sig P6. It's a great pistol, but it's single stack, so capacity is limited. That is also why I didn't suggest a revolver.

Since you have mobility issues, my thought is for you to have as much firepower at your disposal as possible. Since evasion might be an issue.

If 8 rounds does not do it, you have serious problems. Cocked and locked gives you 9. If you shot 8 and do a quick mag change, that is very respectable fire power. I'm a pretty big guy and find the grips awesome. OP, Recoil is so light, don't believe you need weight to compensate. If you can find a person to reload for you, a 95grhp at close range makes a big mess fast. 147grHP also do a great job. Depending on the powder used, you can really tailor the round.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 22

A 22lr pistol is a great place to start. Good for plinking. Not ideal for defense, but better than nothing.

For defense, these would seem like the most viable options:

9mm- Adequate defense round, should be easy enough to find one you can try out.

38sp- Ditto.

327mag- A great option for a lower recoil defense round, with cheaper 38spl plinking ammo available.

5.7x28- FN 5.7 could be an interesting option if the $1000 price tag (and spendy ammo) don't deter you.

Last edited by canebrake; 10-13-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: 38spl not 32cal

Old 10-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #17

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Look, you're new to firearms and I don't recommend you go out and spend $1K on something that may turn out to be a BIG MISTAKE!

If you would like some sage advice, take it from this old sage-coach driver and get a 9mm. Preferably one that has some John Moses Browning genes in its upbringing.

I got this fine specimen of the Browning Hi Power for $500 on GunBroker.com a year ago.

If you want the same reliability but at a bargain price take a look at the Argentine FM 90 Hi-Power at J&G Sales for <$300.

Argentine FM 90 High Power, 9mm. Very Good condition Hi Power model - $299.95

Forgot to post a photo:

Attachment 20407

I have heard nothing but good comments on these used 9mms and think it a great (and low cost) way for you to enter the personal protection theater. It's been my experience that the $20 "Hand Select" up-charge is worth the price.

And if round count is a concern, don't buy the extra mags from J&G, get some Mec-Gars in 15 round (same size as the 13 rd with flush fit but 15+1!) here:

Mec-Gar Magazine Browning Hi-Power 9mm Luger 15-Round Steel Blue - MidwayUSA

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 10-13-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #18

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

And, (there's always a and with the canester) for cheap and fun plinking, get one of these:

GSG 1911-22LR, about the same price of the Hi-Power but shoots 22LR. I have this gun and it's a hoot to shoot!

GSG 1911 22LR - $309 Delivered

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-13-2010, 11:09 PM   #19

Thanks for all the input everybody. I've now spent half a day looking at guns. After alot of thought I'm going to slightly amend my original uses for a gun..

To be honest, I live in a fairly safe neighborhood & doubt I'll need it for self defense - BUT would like to have something just in case. It's more likely going to be a sport piece though. That said, and considering my somewhat unique situation, the Kel-Tec PMR-30 is really interesting. It's a full sized gun that's lightweight & has low recoil with a light trigger pull, as well as lots of rounds, lol. (my hands are weak enough that stiff triggers can be a problem) Does anybody have personal experience with this gun? Also, I know it varies greatly depending on a wide variety of things, but is there a general range for a gun like the PMR-30? Ex: I'm reading a Ruger LCP is good for around 9y give or take, precision. It'd be nice to have more distance. Also, after watching the videos of the prototype sub PMR-30, a shoulder stock might be just what I need to help with both recoil and weight, of any gun. (for sport shooting anyways) Are these available for handguns?

Old 10-13-2010, 11:42 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a lot of hope for the PMR-30... (it's kind of like a "poor-man's FNH FiveseveN)... The question of the hour is: How soon will Kel-Tec (which has a pretty fair reputation) be able to get through the new-model-testing-and- improving phase with it(?). A PMR-30 bought 6 months from now will no doubt be better than the few that were released this summer. From what I've read on the net, it doesn't seem to be having major problems. As with any new gun on the market, however, it's a bit of a gamble just now. I'm not trying to talk you out of buying one. I really like the concept of the gun... Just bringing up the new-release issue to make sure you're aware of it.
On the range issue, yeah, the PMR-30 will shoot much more accurately than a mouse-gun like the LCP (which I have and like a lot BTW) at 10 or 20 yards due to increased barrel-length and sight-line.

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Last edited by Alchemist; 10-13-2010 at 11:47 PM.