opinions on a good handgun for my somewhat different needs..
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > opinions on a good handgun for my somewhat different needs..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default reccomendation for a good handgun/somewhat different needs..

What I'm looking for.. a quality handgun that's light, doesn't have tooo much kick, but still has some power & precision behind it. Why.. I'm disabled, (read: wheelchair bound with a somewhat weaker upper body), live alone in the country, and would like to have one, both for protection & so I can join in the fun of basic target practice with buddies when we go camping, and who knows, maybe a little hunting on the side. Class-Q licenses have some interesting perks!

I've only shot a few guns: 22 rifle, 357 Mag & a basic 22 pistol. (both @ a range and out camping) Rifle's are out, I simply don't have the upper body to hold them up & be safe, and in the case of a break-in, don't expect to have time to find a rest for the barrel, lol. (I did well with a bench) 357, too much kick for me, and for my particular needs, I know there are lighter options out there. The basic 22 handgun was fine, (though lighter is always better in my case), and if that's the direction I go that's alright, but I don't know a whole lot about guns & there're alot of 22's out there! Also, a friend who well understands my physical limitations suggested a 32 instead, (added power without much more kick), and I know there are light composites etc, so I'll shuttup and wait for some replies, haha.

EDIT - Oh, and simple maintenance would be nice as well

Last edited by Tinytacohead; 10-13-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I would go with a 9mm. Go have a look at some and feel them up!

The heavier it is the lighter the recoil. The cz75b is my favorite.

If you want it lighter they do make a polymer version called the phantom.

The 22 and .32 are NOT viable self defense rounds at all.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
...The 22 and .32 are NOT viable self defense rounds at all...
I was kind of expecting to hear that, another reason for the post - thanks! (keep them coming people )

Old 10-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #4

XD Subcompact or any 9mm compact maybe.

A Ruger LCP sounds like it'll fit your needs well.

[http://mercop.wordpress.com
http://www.themensroomonline.net/

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Certified (Traveling) Notary State Of FL

Old 10-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #5

Default Learn together:)

Tinytacohead: Sir, you pose an interesting question. I see folks with physcial type limitations on a regular basis. I too have wondered ''if'' or how, or ???

Ruger LCP has a ''bite'' to it. Nothing dramatic for the ?average? Some, find it biting.
SW638 serves me well, .38. Light, being able to carry it front, or back pocket concealed.
Glock 17-22 are a little harder to hide.
Ruger GP100 .38, heavier ''stout'' firearm {assist absorbing the shock}

Were you close by I would be more than willing to share and we could learn together. ''Maybe" !!!!

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 10-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My suggestion would be to get a decent revolver that has a honed action done by a reputable gunsmith. I would suggest that you consider a .357 magnum revolver with a 4 inch barrel loaded with .38 special target loads. Target loads are accurate, have decent power behind them without being too recoil harsh and will be effective too. Somethng to think about.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I suggest nothing smaller than a 9mm. Bigger is always better, but 9mm will do the job. There's some excellent SD ammunition on the market and the 9 has been dispatching bad guys for many years. Recoil isn't bad at all and the pistols can be had in various sizes, weights and configurations.

Here's a thread that's going on right now discussing various 9mm defensive ammunition: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/best-defense-ammo-9mm-32756/

The suggestion has been made for a polymer framed pistol, CZ is a good one. The S&W M&P series, Springfield XD series and the Glock are all available as lightweight and quality pistols.

I have owned the CZ 75B and the CZ 2075 RAMI. Both were excellent pistols both in performance and quality.

Back when I had money, I had one of the first Springfield EMP's and it was sweet. It was expensive, but it was a very cool pistol.

I have owned two Browning Hi Powers and an Argentine Hi Power and they were all excellent.

My first semi automatic was a Glock 19 and it was everything it was supposed to be. However, to my hands now, Glocks feel very blocky and fat.

I recently bought a Ruger SR9c and have found it to be an outstanding pistol so far. It has gotten rave reviews in the industry and is a good buy for the money.

I did a review and range report recently here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/range-report-ruger-sr9c-32266/

Something that you may like about a compact 9mm pistol rather than full size is that the barrels are mid length so the recoil is quite manageable while the pistol itself is a bit smaller and handier in confined space. Not to be rude, but I assume that's probably a consideration.

Magazine capacity is also going to matter. Spray and pray is not a good defensive technique, however, I think you will want a good large capacity. So stay away from single stack magazine pistols. they are more slim, but they lack capacity.

When you make a decision or if you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask or post here.

BTW, one last thing. If you buy a pistol and then ask us if it's a good one, it's too late for us to help, you're already an owner. So if you have questions, ask them before you buy something. It will be much better if you can test fire some of them as well before making any decisions.

I hope this helps.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #8

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

I would look at a Sig P6 (9mm). J&G has them. Fairly light, no bad habits, and recoil is minimal. A Walther P1 is better in the fact that it is a right hand twist w/ a left hand eject. Kind of a counter balance. Don't rule out a .380acp. Very light and managable.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

FN Herstal Five-seveN... 5.7x28mm... 20+1 rounds... 22 oz. ... If you can afford it ($1,000 range), it's a very low-recoil full-sized handgun with proven stopping-power. Ammo is a little pricey but this gun has some very enthusiastic supporters.

Genitron.com: Details for FN Five-seveN 5.7x28mm FN Pistol

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 10-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
...a quality handgun that's light, doesn't have tooo much kick, but still has some power & precision behind it.
Unfortunately, "light" is usually a trade-off with "recoil." A heavier gun dissipates more of the energy in recoil. So does a heavier shooter, but enough about me.

If weight is the lesser issue, I'd second the recommendation of getting a full-size .357, then shooting .38 special out of it. The recoil is pretty soft, the ammo performance is similar to 9mm, they're accurate, and you can move up to .38 +p for defense if you want. You can also get wrap-around rubber grips that will help dampen the recoil further. There are many models to choose from, and many more accessories and types of ammo. That will help you get exactly what suits you.

If weight is more of an issue, you're probably looking at an automatic, since lightweight revolvers transmit much more of their recoil to the shooter. Something that dissipates recoil on an auto is a longer action — that is, a full-size gun. The recoil spring gets to act against the slide for a longer time. Again, you can find rubber grips for many automatics. And if you don't mind the extra weight of a metal gun, the Hi-Power is an excellent choice. I've heard great things about the CZ series, though I've never shot one.

If you can borrow more guns from your friends, I strongly recommend you do that. And visit a range, if you can, that rents guns, and try out some of theirs.

And there's nothing wrong with starting out with a .22. It's a great platform for learning to shoot, practicing on the cheap, and for learning what you like and don't like before you spend more money on a defensive gun. You'll probably want to have a .22 around even after you choose a defensive gun. I take a .22 to the range every trip so I can get in more trigger time for my ammo budget.

Whatever you decide, happy shooting!

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs