Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Opinions on defense carry ammo...Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Even 230g ball ammo is a good SD round when it comes down to it. JMB originally designed the 1911 to feed nothing but ball ammo, a bullet that heavy travelling at the speed it does is gonna deal extensive damage whether its an FMJ or JHP. Just use what makes you comfortable

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 12-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's very true. I personally wouldn't want to use FMJ ammunition, because over penetration is a big concern with ball ammunition. My father use to work at one of the local hospitals and one night after coming home from work he was telling me about how a woman got shot in the ear by a FMJ bullet over penetrating from her neighbor's house.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 12-04-2011, 01:23 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5327 Times on 2781 Posts
Likes Given: 338

i carry fmj in my spare mag. if gods forbid im ever getting shot at by a loony under cover i can switch mags to fmj for barrier penetration. 230grn fmj spare mag 230grn hollowpoints in the mag in the gun. either way i got effective ammo that shoots the same poi.

i use whatever premium hp ammo is available when i feel the need to cycle ammo. it really doesnt matter with 45acp it starts out the size of a manhole cover...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #14

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Thats why I use frangible rounds or polymer filled fmj.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The hornady 357 mag xtp i did the water test on this ammo and it came out perfect and it's powerful

Old 12-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #16

I carry a 1911 in .45acp. Most of the time, it is in a shoulder holster with two spare mags.

The sidearm is loaded with the original Black Talon ammo. The spare mags are filled with 230 grain FMJ.

During past experiences, I found either works well.

The main objective is not what you hit someone with but that you hit them.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:10 AM   #17

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I like Federal HST 230 JHP.

Here's some really good reading.

Enjoi.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've always thought of a handgun as a defensive back-up to either my rifle or my shotgun. My shoulder firearm is my primary use tool with a good handgun as a back-up to it. I've read too many reports where pistols, some with killing shots, just didn't get the job done right in a timely manner. I like my handguns but I don't prefer them as a first line of defense if I have a choice. Naturally, when I carry concealed, I don't have the option of a shoulder weapon so I prefer to use a big bore pistol and use well placed shots in conjunction with good defensive tactics. Simple things like being able to hit a target center mass and follow up with a competent head shot while keeping your back against a wall, car, truck or other solid object works well. To me, shot placement is more of an important issue than which bullet is more effective in theory. The effectiveness of any round becomes moot when you get an attacker to stop attacking you with the right well placed shots.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #19

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I vote for the Federal HST also. I think barrel length can affect how a round reacts & I've seen water jug tests, with 4 layers of denim in front, where the HST bullet gave great results in expansion & penetration from compact pistols with 3.25" (9mm) & 3.6" (.45ACP) barrels. Not to mention that a 50 round box of HST isn't much higher than a 20 round box of other SD ammo. Save some $$ without giving up reliability, etc.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #20

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Winter time I prefer critical defense and powerball myself. And that's based on professional and private testing results. JMO. Many excellent SD rounds to choose from that will get the job done. I normally load Golden Sabres or Black Talons in srping, summer and fall.