Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Opinions on defense carry ammo...Thanks (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/opinions-defense-carry-ammo-thanks-52951/)

eborden1122 12-03-2011 04:57 PM

Opinions on defense carry ammo...Thanks

Hey Everyone, what would be a better defense round for my everyday carry pistols. I always carry a 1911 model, be it a Colt, Sig or Kimber. Which would be better as far as one shot stop, Double Tap 230gr controlled expansion or the Hornady Critical Defense 230gr FTX. Or if you believe another brand is better please let me know and why. Thank you for your help. Ed

MrWray 12-03-2011 05:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Seems like your using a damn good round already, i use Hornady as well.

Here is a round that i retrieved one day while i was target shooting,they have good even expansion

Attachment 35744

Attachment 35745

eborden1122 12-03-2011 05:38 PM

I have the Hornady Critical Defense ammo in almost all my pistols now and like it. I was wondering how good the Double Tap ammo is, have you ever had any experience with it. Thanks MrWray!!

MrWray 12-03-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eborden1122
I have the Hornady Critical Defense ammo in almost all my pistols now and like it. I was wondering how good the Double Tap ammo is, have you ever had any experience with it. Thanks MrWray!!

The photos that i posted are the double taps, i really like them. I also use the Hornady custom rounds in my .357sig and they perform well too

eborden1122 12-03-2011 06:20 PM

Ok, now I got it. Nice pics by the way. Looks like I need to pick up a couple of boxes of Double Tap and give them a test. Thanks for your help bro.

MrWray 12-03-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eborden1122
Ok, now I got it. Nice pics by the way. Looks like I need to pick up a couple of boxes of Double Tap and give them a test. Thanks for your help bro.

No problem bro, i should have specified better but the photos i posted are the 230g from my 1911 @ 15yds

sweeper22 12-03-2011 07:14 PM

Both will work great, as will almost all other name brand 230gr defense rounds if they cycle well in your gun.

DoubleTap uses a multitude of bullets (often Speer Gold Dot), but in this case it appears they've gone with a Winchester bullet. They're loading it pretty hot if it's reaching their claim of 1010fps. That likely lands it in the +P class, as most standard pressure 230gr defense loads are going to run around 800fps. My Hornady Tap 230gr +P claims 950fps.

DoubleTap is great. It's also expensive, and probably won't give you any decided advantage over something like Winchester Rangers...which you can get for around $30/box of 50. I seem to have accumilated a bit of everything, but mostly lean on Rangers. If you want a couple extra oomph rounds at the top of your magazine, I recommend CorBon Pow'r'Ball 165gr. It's 1200+fps, doesn't plug in clothing, penetrates barriers such as light sheet metal or glass without expanding.

trex1310 12-03-2011 11:31 PM

Forget about the "one shot stop" junk you read on the internet.
There is no such thing. It just so happens that I was involved in
an altercation and I was carrying a Springfield XD .45acp loaded
with Speer Golddot 230gr jhp. It stopped the bad guy, but didn't
incapacitate or knock him from his feet. The round struck him just
left of the sternum. Range was 10-12 feet. I have since switched
to a Glock .357 Sig with Speer Golddot 125gr jhp.

HOSSFLY 12-03-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trex1310 (Post 642718)
Quote:

Forget about the "one shot stop" junk you read on the internet.
There is no such thing.

It just so happens that I was involved in
an altercation and I was carrying a Springfield XD .45acp loaded
with Speer Golddot 230gr jhp. It stopped the bad guy, but didn't
incapacitate or knock him from his feet. The round struck him just
left of the sternum. Range was 10-12 feet. I have since switched
to a Glock .357 Sig with Speer Golddot 125gr jhp.

Guess you need to learn to aim better :rolleyes:
Or mabe you were aiming at the left of the sternum:confused:
In either case hows a Glock 357 sig going to help over a 45:confused:
At 10-12' there is a such a thing as a "one shot stop" - You have to place the shot right - Seen one or two with a lot smaller calibers :rolleyes:

Firearms4ever 12-03-2011 11:58 PM

Like Sweeper said as long as it will function/cycle in your firearm that's the main thing. It also boils down to personal preference too. I like to carry Speer Gold Dot, but I also ocassionally like to experiment with other brands just to see if I like them or not.