opinion on purchasing used gun at pawn shop
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > opinion on purchasing used gun at pawn shop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 01:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default opinion on purchasing used gun at pawn shop

As the title says what's your opinion. Used is used after all. What needs to be inspected.

What kind of price should I look to pay below new price. How much do minor dings subtract from value to you guys.

Beretta PX4 9mm compact
Beretta 92FS Brigadier Inox

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2014, 01:51 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 295 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 132

IMO - the problem w pawn shops is they often pay pennies on the dollar and then try to sell it for MSRP. It is not uncommon to see used guns selling for more than new.

Not sure if this is due to ignorance or greed. You can look up the book value or simply run a search on the major gun websites like GunsAmercia etc and see how much the new & used guns are selling for. You can check out the pictures and compare the condition of the gun relative to the price.

Make sure you read the fine print - restocking fees and for "what reason or rationale" can you return the item. Most pawn shops only guarantee it will go bang.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:21 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22027 Times on 12418 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Gonzilla is correct. in the town near where i live there are two pawn shops. one i won't do business with simply because of the stated reasons as Gonzilla posted. selling used at new or close to new prices.

the other one, i have bought several and gotten some really decent prices on them. some pawn shops will be glad to give a discount when you are buying. they know making a deal and selling the gun make them money and it sitting in their rack doesn't.

be prepared to haggle, especially if you have cash money. money talks, BS walks. take someone knowledgeable about the types of guns you are interested in, if you aren't sure of what to look for when buying used. don't let emotion rule your buying decision.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:57 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Can I get a break down on what to check for in a used gun mechanics wise.

Beretta PX4 9mm compact
Beretta 92FS Brigadier Inox

Old 02-19-2014, 03:13 AM   #5

Liked 1278 Times on 720 Posts
Likes Given: 546

Please be more specific, what gun are you looking at?

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/checking-used-1911-purchase-mind-69423/

Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 AM   #6

Liked 2607 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Two things to consider about pawn shop guns :

1.-Why didn't it's last owner take it to a LGS?

2.So many people rush into a pawn shop assuming

they are getting a discount, when they are not.

Carefully check the rifling of the barrel,

the overall condition and finish, and especially around the

receiver and chamber for undue wear or cracks. A few extra

minutes before you buy can save you a lot of

grief later.

It also helps to know the values of what you are

looking for. I'd advise bringing someone with you

with more experience.

Last edited by therewolf; 02-19-2014 at 03:28 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-19-2014, 03:30 AM   #7

Liked 2062 Times on 1140 Posts
Likes Given: 1361

The things to look at for a revolver will be very different from an auto. If it is an auto and you know how to take it apart, do so if they will let you. If they will not let you disassemble to check internals...walk away. With a revolver check for proper lock up. Pull the hammer back. Check for movement in the cylinder. Pull the trigger. Does the hammer fall free? Release the trigger. Does the hammer back away from the frame like it should? Now pull the hammer back again. Hold the hammer while pulling the trigger. Lower the hammer a little bit and release the trigger. Watch the transfer bar as you lower the hammer with the trigger released. The transfer bar should go down so the hammer does not strike it. Does it do that? Take an unsharpened pencil. Pull the hammer back. The cylinder should be locked up. Put the pencil in the barrel. Feel the edge of the barrel and cylinder where they meet. Are they lined up properly? If not you could have a timing problem. Walk away.

There are a lot of things to check. Always check the proper operation of all safeties. If a pawn shop will not let you do these checks...walk away.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-19-2014, 03:42 AM   #8

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Damaged fire arms that would be almost impossible to sell often go to Pawn Shops. Pawn operators just look up the value in the Blue Book and offer a loan. The person pawing the firearm has no intention of retrieving it.
I have seen more firearms with mechanical problems in Pawn Shops than any where else.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:48 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22027 Times on 12418 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

sometimes people pawn guns because they are in a bind and need money and most pawn shops if they have an FFL will buy guns and loan money on a pawn for a gun. sometimes people pawn rather than sell, because they hope to get it back. sometimes life gets in the way, and it doesn't turn out that way though.

sometimes people just can't afford to get their guns out of pawn and after a certain period of time they belong to the pawn shop.

i have seen pure junk at pawn shops with like new prices, and i have seen some nice ones with decent prices as well. a lot of it depends on the pawn shop and how they conduct business.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:48 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2975 Times on 2063 Posts
Likes Given: 1485

Quote:
Originally Posted by endobro View Post
Can I get a break down on what to check for in a used gun mechanics wise.
The checklist will vary depending on the kind of gun. I think your best bet is to bring someone with experience whom you trust. It might also save you money.