Opinion of the Kahr Compact Handguns? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Opinion of the Kahr Compact Handguns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
GY6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Not sure promo-ing another board is the best etiquette (I said that nicely...) while at FirearmsTalk. We have an awful lot of Kahr owners here, too, and perhaps not as singularly focused.
I know he meant no harm by it....
but I believe FTF is the better choice to ask the question because it is unbiased on the topic, that is why I ask all of you for the info=)

Old 03-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GY6 View Post
Thank you for all of your input...it helps a lot!
I'm glad. I wouldn't just link some generic crap site stealing page views from this one.

That Kahr site has some seriously dedicated Kahr freaks that know these guns inside and out, with dedicated threads on nothing more then how to break your gun in BEFORE you ever pull the trigger, to the proper spots to lay down some gun lube.

Plus you'll get a feel on how good or problematic the guns are and if it's worth taking the risk and buying one.

Like I said, I've been pleasantly surprised with mine so far, it does exactly what it's supposed to do, but I also had polymer shavings all over the place when I picked it up and the frame is marred in a couple of non-important places, which is where I get my quality control opinion from....And those magazines and poor fit, that's a whole another story....lol

Old 03-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #13

Recently bought a kahr cw40, while I live the look and feel of the gun it currently resides back at the kahr arm factory.. From the very first magazine to the last in the 200 round break in period they suggest 9 out of 10 magazines would drop out of the gun while shooting and only once did the slide lock open after last shot, every other time the mag would again fall out instead.. That being said I still very much so like the gun and if it's returned in proper functioning condition would still recommend the cw line to others lookin for a quality, comfortable gun to carry

Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #14

I had a cw9. Easy to carry. However 7 round capacity and and and you had better carry one in the pipe. They even say in the manual not to slingshot the slide as it will not feed right. This is true. They recommend you pull back and use the slide stop to load first round. I have a problem with that. I figured after break in it wouldn't be a problem as I read it gets better. 500 plus rounds later still unable to slingshot. And it wasn't faulty technique on my part. Also it rides heavily on the polymer rails. Mine wasn't bad but I have seen some chewed up from the slide. Last I think they are overpriced. I can get 2 pf9 keltecs for almost the cost of 1 cw line. Not an advocate for keltec as got rid of it too because of fitting. Slide rattled worse than my ak lol.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy517 View Post
I had a cw9. Easy to carry. However 7 round capacity and and and you had better carry one in the pipe. They even say in the manual not to slingshot the slide as it will not feed right. This is true. They recommend you pull back and use the slide stop to load first round. I have a problem with that. I figured after break in it wouldn't be a problem as I read it gets better. 500 plus rounds later still unable to slingshot. And it wasn't faulty technique on my part. Also it rides heavily on the polymer rails. Mine wasn't bad but I have seen some chewed up from the slide. Last I think they are overpriced. I can get 2 pf9 keltecs for almost the cost of 1 cw line. Not an advocate for keltec as got rid of it too because of fitting. Slide rattled worse than my ak lol.

Now mine slingshots fine, but I've read where others can't get rounds to feed doing it. Your not the only one.

As far as slide fit goes, mine is as tight as it gets. I just think this is another example of how Kahr's q.c. is lacking in many ways.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #16

Liked 280 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I have a cm9 and a used cw9. Both have been 100% relieable for me. Like any firearm some come out with problems and kahr does a fine job of dealing with them . Some problems can be caused by the owners too. My CW9 was one that just would not shoot a mag full with out some kind of problem for the first owner. Not so for me , been a great pistol and caused me to buy my cm9. Even the 7 shot mags from my cw work great in the cm9. I have right at 2000 rounds fired with these 2 kahrs with zero problems. Both also sling shot fine for me. Just take some rounds down range with the little one.

Also had a KT, a pf9 nasty little gun to shoot but after 2 1/2 years and also close to 2000 rounds fire never a single issue with it. Sold it because the kahr sooo much easier to sot.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #17

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have carried my CW9 and CW45. I trust them with my life. I have had a couple of FTF's and FTE in the initial break in period but after that they're flawless.

Read the manual and stick to what it says for break in and loading.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:35 AM   #18

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
... and loading.
Yes, it's true. You do need to load the first round with your right thumb releasing the slide stop. You just get used to it. One could actually think of it as more efficient!

Left loads mag, right releases stop, left assumes support position. No need for two-handed sling-shot method.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 03-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #19

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

I've owned a cw40 and currently a cm9. These are awesome pistol and both have functioned flawlessly. I have no complaint. At there price point they can't be beat IMO

Old 06-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #20

Before I purchased my Kahr CW9, I visited several local gun shops and a few gun show, just to see what gust feels good in my hand. After all, everyone has different size of hand, and with my smaller-than-average hands, I was planning to get compact or subcompact guns in 9mm. Many popular brands like Glock, Ruger, and Beretta, have various sub-compact with 10+ rounds capacity, and while that is very attractive feature (less reloading at the range), the double-stack magazine certainly adds more thickness to the grip and added weight. THEN, I saw Kahr CW9 and held it. MAN!, this one fits in my hand perfectly. The owner of the gun show told me that it is DAO, and so by itself, it is a nice CCW, and the trigger is very smooth for double-action trigger. In fact, CW40 is his preferred choice of EDC (as he showed me in his OWB holster.

Last week, I went to the local range and shot 50 rounds of Sellier and Bellot 9mm Luger FMJ, and had no failure. At about 15 to 20 yards, I had pretty good grouping of shots around the center of my targets. The recoil was manageable, and the trigger was very smooth. The sights are the original ones that came with the gun, but I am definitely looking to replace them with a set of ones available from Kahr website.

This will definitely be my carry weapon, after putting a few hundred more rounds through it.

Does anyone suggest a comfortable IWB holster for this? I was looking at either Galco Sto-N-Go Inside the Pant holster or Don Hume Clip-On IWB holster.