Open Your Eyes? - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Open Your Eyes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 03:51 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6009 Times on 3403 Posts
Likes Given: 5616

Quote:
Originally Posted by slog View Post
I'd just point out that Olympian shooters use some fancy covers for their lazy eye. I don't think you could label it as correct or incorrect. I only use both eyes with a parallax sight because it doesn't need to be aligned. There is only one dot and it's on the target, and the open window lets you see things surrounding the target. Only good for close to med range. On that note, I've never seen anyone shoot with a scope with both eyes.

I was taught from an early age, and that teaching was re-nforced by the military and police training to keep both eyes open regardless.

I use scopes on nearly all of my rifles now, and never close an eye. You lose half of your peripheral vision if you close an eye. That could get you killed.

Winston Churchill
Dusty_Wheeler Likes This 
Old 10-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Even looking through a scope? Seems like you'd have two different points of focal reference.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:01 AM   #23

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Pistol both eyes open. Rifle one eye.
ditto

damnedstewpid10characterrequirementmuckingupmypost

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 10-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6009 Times on 3403 Posts
Likes Given: 5616

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
Even looking through a scope? Seems like you'd have two different points of focal reference.

Not really. You "see" the target through the scope, but you see movement through the other eye.

I first learned to shoot with both eyes open, but I suppose it could cause problems if you learned with one eye closed.

But I remember my instructors at police academy would just have a fit if they caught you closing an eye.

Winston Churchill

Old 10-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Both eyes open. It was very hard in the beginning, but it's second nature now. It helps having a very dominant eye on your strong side

Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #26
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2986 Times on 1720 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Before I got into competition, I used the "one eye" for everything. Now it "depends" on conditions.
After shooting hundreds of rounds, I found that if I kept both eyes open I could see more targets during shooting and that my face was more relaxed at the end of the day.

It takes less muscle strength to use both eyes than using one eye.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
I shoot with one eye open. So which way is the correct way and why? I really want to know and thanks for all the info.
There is no really 'correct' way to do it, but some defense pros will tell you to keep both eyes open. The reasoning is that by closing your non-shooting eye you are creating a huge blind spot in your peripheral vision. Your shooting eye can't see past your nose, so everything to the closed eye side is effectively blocked out. That increases the area you can be threatened from.

If you can hit the target with both eyes open that's great, but if you can't, close one eye. Hitting the target is what's important. You can threat scan later.

Some people don't know which eye is dominant, so here's a quick test. With both eyes open extend either arm and point your index finger upward. Line your index finger up with something that is vertical and don't move it from this point on. Without moving the finger close your right eye. Open your right eye and close your left. For one of these the finger appeared to move off target. That is your weak eye. Your dominant eye is the one that allowed your finger to remain on target.

So, can you be a good shot if your strong eye is on the opposite side from your strong hand? Absolutely. A sight picture is a sight picture. When you line them up on target you will hit what you aim at within reason. You may have a problem shooting with both eyes open, but that is not carved in stone. It's an individual thing. Some people can and some people can't. It may just be a matter of practice

Old 10-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #28

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I shoot with one eye closed. I've tried with both eyes open and I just can't get a good sight picture. I'd love to be able to shoot accurately with both eyes open. One less thing I would have to worry about.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #29

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
I shoot with one eye closed. I've tried with both eyes open and I just can't get a good sight picture. I'd love to be able to shoot accurately with both eyes open. One less thing I would have to worry about.
Took me awhile- Just have to keep at it IF thats what you want-
I'm in agreement theres no right or wrong way--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET