OPEN CARRY-who REALLY does it? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > OPEN CARRY-who REALLY does it?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Can anyone find a single incident of an OC'er having their gun snatched from their holster?

Old 12-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #52

I ask, because that's an argument I see quite frequently, yet I don't ever remember hearing of it happening. Anywhere. Ever. Except with a cop, which, apparently, doesn't count according to the arguments in this thread.

I've googled it. Couldn't find any stories of anyone having their gun taken off their person while carrying on about their daily life, and having it used against them. None. At all. But my google fu is nothing special.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5534 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

You're not going to see it with CCW.

Now if OC gets popular, you'll see a lot of it.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #54

That's pure speculation. Do you know of any recorded instances?

Old 12-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 843 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
That's pure speculation. Do you know of any recorded instances?
But it was speculated on the internet that a bad guy would
  1. steal the gun right out of the holster
  2. shoot the guy OC

And yet, nobody can show it actually happens, but hundreds of thousands of LEO's go about their business everyday, and funny thing, their firearms are not stolen out of the holsters, nor are they regularly randomly shot standing in line buying their beverage or lunch or anything else.

Today, I went to a small sub shop. I OC as did the two officers in the facility. None of us had to depend on my wife who CC to save us from the bad guy that intended to to harm today

Wait for it, anytime now, an anti 2A gun toter will add, "it should be against the law to OC"

Old 12-16-2012, 02:56 AM   #56

Liked 710 Times on 458 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Like I said earlier I sometimes OC and sometimes CC. I don't mind that that some have strong feelings one way or the other as long as they do nothing to hinder my right to do either. I think most agree that that there are spots/times when it is best to do it one way and other times best to do it different. So what is the argument? Where I live if you go to a McDonalds you might see two or three people OCing(and guess that many more are CCing). It is no big deal here. If I lived in Seattle or Pittsburgh or somewhere I would think it would be different. I get it that most places it is uncommon or unheard of to OC. Every situation is different. Isn't it great if you have a choice?

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #57

Now, I'm not trying to start a flame war.

I've been browsing google and talking to a couple of cops I know, 2 being friends (here in West Monroe), and one being my stepbrother (Texas), and none of them have even heard of it happening, but we all agree it's possible, and a definite risk.

According to the collective memories of the 4 of us, it seems you're infinitely more likely to get killed with your own gun during a home invasion where the perp may find your grandad's shotty in the closet, and "you", the happy homeowner, happens to walk in during the ransacking. Hmm.

Oh I know it's happened. It has to have happened, right? It's only feasible that it's had to have happened before, I won't deny that. I'm sure it's happened in the "Wild West" days, but I mean more modern times. Let's say, maybe since the 50's. But I've personally found no hard evidence of any reports of it happening, but like I said, I'm not quite google master.

The three cops also brought up another good point. Between them all, they have a total of over 60 years cumulative in law enforcement. More violent altercations than can be counted. More run ins with cracked out dope fiends than can be counted. More domestic assault cases worked than they could even imagine. Drunks. Disorderlies. DTP... The point brought up by my one friend, and collaborated by the other two... is that it's their job to go into messed up situations. And the three of them have had a BG attempt to snatch their gun a grand total of... 0 times. So... they intentionally put themselves at risk, and haven't had it happen.

My step brother also pointed out, that in his area, BG's seem to be more afraid of the LAC with a gun than they are the cops. His personal theory? It's a cop's job to bring them in alive if possible. LAC's aren't bound by the same constraints.

For the record, I'm actually not pro OC. I do OC right now, because I'm very pro self defense, and I don't have the money for a CCW permit and all the strings it comes attached to. As soon as I'm able to rectify that little situation, no one will likely ever see my gun again.

But that's not the point. I actually take offense to some of you speaking so derogatorily of OC'ers. I really don't have words for it. I think some of you have become biased based on the youtube asshats who like to run around with intentionally "scary" looking rifles and such, while running a video camera and arguing with police. That's not the purpose of OC. Those of you who keep hammering on it, seem to think that's the purpose of everyone who carries openly (just based on what I've seen here, I'm not a mind reader). But again, that's not what it's about.

OC is, especially particularly in my case, about having your gun on you. It should never be done to prove a point. And if there's no ulterior motive, and the risk is so miniscule that someone will "spur of the moment" grab your gun and start shooting... Why get so upset?

I'll go on to say this too. I've never heard of anyone intent on a shooting spree actually going to their targeted location unarmed with the intent to just take someone else's gun to commit their atrocities. I really think the "someone will grab it" argument is almost totally unfounded as a likely scenario.

Last edited by trip286; 12-16-2012 at 03:17 AM.
HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 12-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #58

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
I'll go on to say this too. I've never heard of anyone intent on a shooting spree actually going to their targeted location unarmed with the intent to just take someone else's gun to commit their atrocities. I really think the "someone will grab it" argument is almost totally unfounded as a likely scenario.

Agreed and most people who aren’t at the range are going to have a retention holster of some sort to aid in this. I CC but my OC is a Safafiland ALS....someone would get punched in the face about 5 times before they had a chance to get lucky and hit the button right....carrying at 3 o'clock you should have some sort of warning ....unless someone suckers ya from behind.....but if you’re carrying in an environment that could happen then you better practice situational awareness....a bunch

Old 12-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #59
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
I ask, because that's an argument I see quite frequently, yet I don't ever remember hearing of it happening. Anywhere. Ever. Except with a cop, which, apparently, doesn't count according to the arguments in this thread.

I've googled it. Couldn't find any stories of anyone having their gun taken off their person while carrying on about their daily life, and having it used against them. None. At all. But my google fu is nothing special.

Your Google Fu is probably fine but so few people open carry there's probably no reliable data either way.

Now before you start jumping all over me for being critical of OC, let me explain. I've got nothing against people who do, I support their right where legal, I OC when I hunt, and I too would like the option to OC. But unless open-carry becomes a common and accepted sight, even where legal the OCer places himself at a tactical disadvantage, invites unwanted attention and harrassment. And right now, in this country in most places, I don't see OC ever becoming a common and accepted sight, especially in heavily populated areas.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 12-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #60

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

I do not, never have.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Closed Thread