Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > OPEN CARRY-who REALLY does it?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
I open and CC carry.

Last time I checked, I'm neither off, nor have a need to be macho.

For those that feel they give up a technical advantage, then explain uniformed LEO!
Ok I will explain.
Where you dispatched to the 'problem'? Is someone (a dispatcher and other officers on the air) aware you are there and aware of the circumstances? Is it necessary for you to be 'in uniform' as it is, in our society, for the police to be uniformed?
If you do find yourself involved in a critical incident can you call for back up, and can you count on their timely arrival??
There is absolutely NO comparison between a uniformed LEO who carries a gun openly as a part of their required uniform and civilian open carry. To try and compare them is just plain silly!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 12-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainskytop View Post
I live in VA a OC state yet you don't see anyone doing OC except at the range including me. I have my CCW which I do CC everywhere allowed.
My point being that it appears most people don't want to OC just because no one wants to advertise!advertise
Correct you are! Why would anyone who cares about their safety and the safety of those around them even consider carrying a weapon openly in public?????
I carry open while hiking, hunting, horse back riding and other 'outdoor' activities but unless I am in uniform/working I do not carry open in public!
I completely support the 'right' to open carry, but because of my military and LE background and training would totally advise against it!!! You are just asking to be a 'target', and you are giving up the most important element you have in surviving a 'lethal' encounter, the element of SUPRISE!
Other than to make 'political' statement, there is no logical/realistic reason to carry open in public!!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 12-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #33

Liked 64 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
My state has always allowed OC.

But in 20+ years of LE, my experience has been the tiny handful of people who regularly OC, are the "macho, strutting peacock" cowboy wannabes that feel 10 feet tall wearing a gun openly.

Why advertise to the world that you are carrying, and give a puke the advantage?????

IMHO, OC makes no sense at all.
I totally agree...

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P239, Sig P226 Navy (MK25)
Sig P238
Glock 19, Glock 20, Glock 26, Glock 36
Springfield XD 45ACP
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Stag Arms AR15 556
Ruger SR556E
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 12-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #34

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
A right not used is a right lost.

However.....

Until I retire though I will not use it, because who knows an ignorant cop may arrest me for obstruction when I dont "cooperate" with him in case an arguement ensues over this legal behavior.

VA police have a good reputation but I dont want to risk it anyway.

I just cannot afford to have to explain on my next clearance investigation that I have been arrrested "but I swear it wasnt my fault", bla, bla..
First statement I couldn't disagree with more, the rest is a fine point I think we all apply.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 738 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
there was a news story recently of someone going through the wringer for ocing in detroit park. they are out there. i dont doubt he does.
Birmingham MI, and upscale community in the Detroit area.

He was charged, and found not guilty in a jury trial. He has since filed a civil rights lawsuit against the city.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Ok I will explain.
Where you dispatched to the 'problem'? Is someone (a dispatcher and other officers on the air) aware you are there and aware of the circumstances? Is it necessary for you to be 'in uniform' as it is, in our society, for the police to be uniformed?
If you do find yourself involved in a critical incident can you call for back up, and can you count on their timely arrival??
There is absolutely NO comparison between a uniformed LEO who carries a gun openly as a part of their required uniform and civilian open carry. To try and compare them is just plain silly!!!
Police officer goes into a store to purchase a beverage. They are constantly being taken out by bad guys that see them in the store...

You're creating a strawman out of completely different situation.

The problem is stated that if an OC is in a store, they will be taken out first. You switched it to responding to an active situation. Not only a strawman, but a really poor one at that.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:26 AM   #37

Here in AZ, I work with the general public, were one in five OC. I don't mind it one bit, and we have never had any one "freak out" about it either. Personally I prefer to oc. There is a reason law enforcement doesn't conceal, to have it open and accessible makes a faster response time, it is also a visual deterrent.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:20 AM   #38

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Sorry, I don't get all the vomiting. Why wouldn't a cop "open carry," and why would a civilian unless they're in the outback or nucking futs!?

Old 12-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
why would a civilian unless they're in the outback or nucking futs!?
  • Easier to carry
  • more comfortable
  • easier to get to
  • much better when driving
  • makes a BG think twice before doing something stupid

Old 12-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Police officer goes into a store to purchase a beverage. They are constantly being taken out by bad guys that see them in the store...

You're creating a strawman out of completely different situation.

The problem is stated that if an OC is in a store, they will be taken out first. You switched it to responding to an active situation. Not only a strawman, but a really poor one at that.
If a LOE goes into a store for a break he has either 'called out' there and/or has a radio with him. To make your comparison is silly. There is no comparison to a uniformed officer and civilian carrying in the open, nice try though! How long have you been a LEO?? How long have you been carrying a gun in public, concealed or open??

Closed Thread