Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   OPEN CARRY-who REALLY does it? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/open-carry-who-really-does-78382/)

mountainskytop 12-13-2012 06:56 PM

OPEN CARRY-who REALLY does it?

I live in VA a OC state yet you don't see anyone doing OC except at the range including me. I have my CCW which I do CC everywhere allowed.
My point being that it appears most people don't want to OC just because no one wants to advertise!advertise

manta 12-13-2012 07:01 PM

I don't see any tactical advantage of open carry i do see disadvantages. The only reason i see for open carry is posing.
Here advertising you were carrying a firearm would just make you a target. And when they came for you they would make sure you didn't get a chance to use it.

JonM 12-13-2012 07:16 PM

I dont oc but i like having an oc allowed type law. It means i can use a full size gun most of the time in a owb holster (comfy easy access) and dont have to worry about it peeking out or outlining under the clothes.

hiwall 12-13-2012 07:44 PM

It depends on where you live. Out here everyone can carry- -open or concealed. Many open carry so its not a big deal seeing people with guns. I carry most of the time. In the summer it is often OC as I don't bother to change my clothes just to cover the gun. When I lived in MN I only carried concealed(but either was legal with a permit).

locutus 12-13-2012 07:46 PM

My state has always allowed OC.

But in 20+ years of LE, my experience has been the tiny handful of people who regularly OC, are the "macho, strutting peacock" cowboy wannabes that feel 10 feet tall wearing a gun openly.

Why advertise to the world that you are carrying, and give a puke the advantage?????

IMHO, OC makes no sense at all.

danf_fl 12-13-2012 07:55 PM

It depends. In the business area, yeah.
Other times, maybe.
Yet other times, no.

rhyno13 12-13-2012 07:59 PM

I would. I wish I could open carry in Texas.

therhino 12-13-2012 08:05 PM

I've never seen anyone open carry here, and will never do so myself. OC makes people squirrely, and the last thing I need is to be stopped every 500 yards by LEO responding to "man with a gun" calls. LEOs might be polite and such, but they can't go back to every panicked anti who calls 911 and explain that OC is legal and then give the stats on crime perpetrated by legal OC'ers.
There's also a couple "Activists" in the state who have baited and antagonized LEO to make some sort of political point, so some LEOs are understandably going to be snippy about anyone OCing. It's one of those cases of the few ruining it for the many.
I don't even worry about the tactical implications of OC in a bad guy scenario. Our CC laws make it achievable for anyone without a criminal record or recorded mental issues to carry concealed. Why bother with OC?
The only use for OC for me in this state is that it covers your butt in case you accidentally pull your shirt up too high while reaching for the cereal on the top shelf of the grocery store. Some states will revoke you and send you to the jail for a small slip like that. OC laws cover that for us here.

Pasquanel 12-13-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainskytop (Post 1050344)
I live in VA a OC state yet you don't see anyone doing OC except at the range including me. I have my CCW which I do CC everywhere allowed.
My point being that it appears most people don't want to OC just because no one wants to advertise!advertise

The general population is very nervous these days and rightly so, there has been far too many indiscriminate shootings! If I were the BG I would shoot you first! As previously stated you lose all tactical advantage when carrying openly.
I much prefer to appear harmless and no threat to anyone. So if your reason for carrying is to strut your stuff help yourself I personally would welcome a decoy:p

locutus 12-13-2012 08:14 PM

If I've been up the river fishing and I come into a little town for lunch, I don't bother with a jacket over the weapon. Common sense. Everyone does it.

But I don't dress in the morning in slacks and sport shirt and "strap on my hogleg" to go downtown to run errands at the bank, and a couple of stores.

If I feel the need to go armed, I'll put a sport coat on over my weapon.