Open carry stories
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Open carry stories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 02:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Open carry stories

Wife and I almost always open carry here in Arizona because it's legal and we prefer it over concealed carry. We have a few stories of interactions with others in the public but would also love hearing stories from others here.

Two stories from this past weekend:

Our clothes dryer broke and we don't have the new one yet so we decided to go to the laundrymat, something neither of us had done in 15+ years. We were both open carrying and just minding our own business. The guy that was working at the laundrymat was a younger guy and he asked us both what model guns we had. Clearly he was on our side. As we were leaving the worker mentions to my wife that one of the other patrons "reported us" to him, telling him we had guns. He said he told her it was completely legal and asked if we had threatened her. She said no, we had not threatened her, she just didn't like it. He responded that we were 100% within the law and there is nothing he would do about it.

Later that same day we went into a furniture store shopping for couches. One of the salesmen walks up to us and says "Thank you for exercising your 2nd Amendment Rights."

I take the good and bad and roll with it because as long as I am following the law and I never intentionally bother anyone else then I will open carry anywhere it is legal.

I would also like to add that we have encountered many law enforcement officers while open carrying and none of them have said a word to us. I chalk that up to us acting normal and minding our own business. Attitude, or lack thereof, goes a long way.

Last edited by KingGlamis; 01-07-2014 at 03:20 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2014, 02:55 AM   #2

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I open carry and have very few stories. Those I do, are short and positive.

One... Was in line at a gas station to make a purchase, and talking to a lady in line too. After a few moments she says... "Oh.. I thought that was a cell phone..." Conversation continued unabated. (by the way, I carry a full size 1911. Talk about oblivious!)

In another gas station (seems I spend a lot of time in gas stations...) while on duty (which means I wasn't carrying, part of my employment contract) ran into a guy who was OC'ing. This was right after arguing here on the forum, the merits, or morality I guess, of OC. I stopped the guy, and said hey... "Does anyone ever give you any trouble for carrying that? Do you ever wonder if you'll be targeted by a super secret sharpeyed special agent bad guy with the tactical abilities of a Navy SEAL?" He... laughed... his... ass... off.... And now we're friends on facebook! He went on to explain that he only really open carries when scouting his hunting spot for the year. His biggest self defense concern in this area is the same as mine: wildlife.

Beyond that... Open Carry in West Monroe Louisiana and surrounding areas, is a non issue.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 01-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #3

Liked 331 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Huummm 26 years of CC'n and no stories.
Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 01-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #4

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

I was open carrying on my motorcycle one day and was stopped for it. The police insisted I slide my gun across the pavement. I refused. No way was I going to mess up my brand new XD45c. Finally, I convinced them to let me crab walk away from it. Turns out, it was just a Terry stop and the cops were complete morons.

This is why I prefer CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 01-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 809 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I would have sued the shiz outta them for that. I would have tore them up in court because a terry frisk can only be used if they believe a crime has taken place, is taking place, or is going to take place. I would have owned that department for several infringements on Constitutional Rights namely the 2nd, the 4th and the 14th amendments.
People Like This 
Old 01-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #6

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancslaughter View Post
I would have sued the shiz outta them for that. I would have tore them up in court because a terry frisk can only be used if they believe a crime has taken place, is taking place, or is going to take place. I would have owned that department for several infringements on Constitutional Rights namely the 2nd, the 4th and the 14th amendments.

And if I knew then, what I know now, I would have too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1389 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 252

One store, guy was very interested in my XDMc as he was considering one.

Another store, guy came up and shook my hand congratulated me on exercising my right to carry.

Shooting range/gun store was advised I have to cover the pistol or leave the store... WTF?
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 01-07-2014, 11:53 PM   #8

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
One store, guy was very interested in my XDMc as he was considering one.

Another store, guy came up and shook my hand congratulated me on exercising my right to carry.

Shooting range/gun store was advised I have to cover the pistol or leave the store... WTF?
The LGS/range made their position clear. I wouldn't spend a penny in that shop after being told to cover my weapon in a gun shop/range.
People Like This 
Old 01-08-2014, 03:15 AM   #9

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
All of my local gun stores allow open carry and of course CC, but the ranges here require that the gun be unloaded with no magazine. It is kind of strange that the range said you have to "cover" it. What is the purpose of that?

Old 01-08-2014, 04:11 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 333 Times on 182 Posts

My best guess would be to keep people from running drills and practicing their draw with loaded weapons.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Firearms Talk mobile app