Open carry or not - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Open carry or not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
IMO, we start to buy into the whole "Mall Ninja" thing when we see a

BG behind every stop sign and car bumper. A very patiotic, loyal American

once said: "This is America, land of the free, home of the brave.

The very brave. I will go placidly amid the haste, and

while I very well may die on my feet, I will never live on my knees."

OH YEAH, that was me.

I refuse to let a bunch of scumball BGs have me fearfully

running scared everywhere I go. And God help the BG who uses me

to make a bad decision.

IMO, CC, relax, and enjoy the freedom, smell the roses, drink the

coffee, and be safer.
Exactly how I feel about OC... Nice Quote...

Old 10-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i think that a person should use his best judgement and always excersise on the side of caution when carrying. if there are parts of a town you would not go into unarmed, then why would you go there armed? unless you were looking for trouble. having the right to carry is the right to protect yourself and your loved ones. a gun is just a tool that helps you do that and a tool that most people respect. but the most important tool is the head on your shoulders.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #33

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
rules of awareness - constantly be on guard, and constantly keep a track of where EVERY SWINGING DICK AROUND IS LOCATED..........@ ALL TIMES. with Open Carry comes the responsibility, no, the obligation to protect not only yourself, but your firearm from those that would use it to do harm to you and/or others.

it is legal to Open Carry here in Louisiana, we hunt, shoot, and do the good ol' boy thang on the weekends, so it's no biggie when we are in town with our irons on.

the thing i ALWAYS keep with me (while carrying) is WHERE/WHAT part of town i am entering, AND i keep a CLOSE eye on EVERYONE that approaches me to get around, by, or take a wide berth.

being on constant awareness alert is the obligation and responsibility that goes with Open Carrying.

I think his point is that most people going to rob a bank don't run in guns a-blazin'. 98% of the time, they will even stand in line until they are called, then calmly ask or pass a note requesting the money, usually not even presenting a weapon. When they do present a weapon, it is RARE that it isn't concealed when they walk in.

I'll also say that it is also extremely rare that anyone actually gets hurt in a bank robbery. However, if they walk in and see a guy with a gun on his hip, an aggressive robber is much more likely to just shoot him than he his to tell him to get on the ground.

Basically, I'd prefer to let any BGs think they have the upper hand, rather than lying my cards out from the beginning.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #34

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
we have concealed carry in Texas. i wish that they would pass a law that allowed open carry here. i have read that states do have the right to open carry, and think along the same lines, would someone bother another person if they saw a handgun on their hip? probably not. here in Texas, if you have a concealed carry permit, you are not allowed to have your weapon visible at any time. which in winter months, not that big a deal. but in the summer months, over a 100 degrees, high humidity, you either have to carry a smaller weapon or take extra care to be able to conceal your firearm. big hassle. i just wish we at least had the option. as for myself i might carry open during the summer!
I don't get the summer problem. I live in Florida where it gets hotter than than the hinges on the gates of hell and with high humidity, and I carry a 1911 under a colored or patterned tee shirt or a light cotton shirt (with a pattern) with no concealment problems. I am not a large man either.

You just need to buy good gun leather and you can conceal a cannon.

Carl Sagan

Old 10-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #35
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I don't get the summer problem. I live in Florida where it gets hotter than than the hinges on the gates of hell and with high humidity, and I carry a 1911 under a colored or patterned tee shirt or a light cotton shirt (with a pattern) with no concealment problems. I am not a large man either.

You just need to buy good gun leather and you can conceal a cannon.
i prefer concealed carry, but just wish we had the option of open carry. in a hot, high humidity environment it is harder to conceal, but is possible to carry a larger firearm concealed too.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #36

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I carry so often you could call it all the time. I carry sometimes concealed, sometimes open, sometimes both! Either guns and guns, guns and knives, knives and knives! Every once in a while I leave the house unarmed, just because I can and I have the confidence to defend myself with only what I was born with. I always have with me the weapon I was born with.....that gray matter between my ears.

But, having a gun or knife at hand, may turn the tide in my favor to address a bad guy or two, or three. I certainly care less if it's a good neighborhood or bad, I carry and I certainly wouldn't run if I had an opportunity to stop the bad guy. To me it's not just an opportunity, it's a responsibility. Shooting a bad guy in the back is not necessarily against the law. If they are committing a violent crime, they deserve to be shot at any angle of opportunity. I understand those who are concerned about legal issues and they have a right to their opinion and choice. I choose to stand my ground. Sometimes we are dealt raw hands, I've had my share, but men are suppose to lead and stand......just the way I was brought up I guess.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #37

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5149

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix View Post
I carry so often you could call it all the time. I carry sometimes concealed, sometimes open, sometimes both! Either guns and guns, guns and knives, knives and knives! Every once in a while I leave the house unarmed, just because I can and I have the confidence to defend myself with only what I was born with. I always have with me the weapon I was born with.....that gray matter between my ears.

But, having a gun or knife at hand, may turn the tide in my favor to address a bad guy or two, or three. I certainly care less if it's a good neighborhood or bad, I carry and I certainly wouldn't run if I had an opportunity to stop the bad guy. To me it's not just an opportunity, it's a responsibility. Shooting a bad guy in the back is not necessarily against the law. If they are committing a violent crime, they deserve to be shot at any angle of opportunity. I understand those who are concerned about legal issues and they have a right to their opinion and choice. I choose to stand my ground. Sometimes we are dealt raw hands, I've had my share, but men are suppose to lead and stand......just the way I was brought up I guess.

+100
i will second that!

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 10-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #38

Liked 78 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
maybe it comes with age, but i learned a long time ago, stay away from places where trouble lurks. and if you have no choice than i agree with what you are saying.
As a real estate appraiser who specializes in foreclosure properties, sometimes before they are kicked out (called an exterior only appraisal, done in 'drive by' style ROFL), I don't get to pick and choose the neighborhoods I have to go to.
Thus...even though I am quite confident of my abilities to defend myself, I also carry. I'd rather be at a fist fight with a gun than at a gun fight with a fist.