Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Open carry or not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
If anyone, civilian or LEO, pops one in the back, they will be facing charges.

If a perp is approaching you, it is not time to be pulling concealed either. Reaching in the jacket, inside the shirt, grabbing the ankle holster or getting something out of the pocket can get you killed while doing it.

Much like staying out of the high crime areas at midnight, carrying openly will deter all but the most hard nosed criminal and it could allow you to keep your gun.

Until one has been there, comments are just arm chair quarterbacking. I have been there and I have either worked and/or testified in dozens of shooting cases. I have been involved in two. I have seen what works and what does not.
Well, our rules aren't for everybody. I imagine the ATF could

easily get away with it, they've done far worse, and recently.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but interceding with a criminal involved in a

gun crime is, IIRC, legal.

Bear in mind I never said I would shoot a criminal in the back,

just that while civilians have CC, it does give BGs

something to worry about.

But thanks, anyway, for the sermon...

Old 10-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #22

As Mr Massad Ayoob has written often times, many well intentioned folks have gone to prison for what they felt right.

If I see a gun crime being committed, I have two goals. Be as an informed witness as possible and live to go home a free man.

Most CCW classes inform students that CCW does not make them police officers. They cannot go around shooting people. A couple of times, stunt actors have been shot while filming by someone thinking a robbery or shootout was happening. I also say that things are not always as they appear. The so called bad guy may acutally be a good guy as evidenced by the number of plain clothes officers shot by uniformed officers thinking they were shooting a bg with a gun.

It is easier to get in trouble than it is to get out.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #23

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 146

concealed

Old 10-02-2011, 12:40 AM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20035 Times on 11394 Posts
Likes Given: 50544

i think there are valid arguments for both. both have there good and bad points. whether you carry open or concealed, either way carries a huge burden of responibility. i truly hope i never, ever, have to take a human life, even a BG. there is a burden you will carry with you, the rest of your life.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
As Mr Massad Ayoob has written often times, many well intentioned folks have gone to prison for what they felt right.

If I see a gun crime being committed, I have two goals. Be as an informed witness as possible and live to go home a free man.

Most CCW classes inform students that CCW does not make them police officers. They cannot go around shooting people. A couple of times, stunt actors have been shot while filming by someone thinking a robbery or shootout was happening. I also say that things are not always as they appear. The so called bad guy may acutally be a good guy as evidenced by the number of plain clothes officers shot by uniformed officers thinking they were shooting a bg with a gun.

It is easier to get in trouble than it is to get out.
Hey, we all get letters with our CCW permits telling us very

clearly that we are not to act as LEOs.

MY mantra is: " I'm not the police,CIA,FBI, the A-Team, Deputy

Dawg, or even Danger Mouse."

Thanks for sermon #2, but

you're preaching to the choir.

I'm merely stating that because we're out there, BGs

are much more nervous. I'm sorry if that bothers you.

Last edited by therewolf; 10-02-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #26

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
My opinion is, i dont like attention "from anyone" its true that a Shadey character may see you and see your weapon and not mess with you. I just dont want to be in the shadey characters radar at all. I like blending in and carrying out my day without raising any eyebrows. The less attention that i receive the more of an upper hand i have if the SHTF.
I completely agree with the 'hide in plain sight' mantra. I also am a firm believer that, if I'm in an isolated area, then, since my 'cover' is gone, I'm going to show my teeth and make it obvious that there is a firearm on my side.
I don't like being 'exposed', and if I am, I plan on making it known that the best bet is to wait on safer prey.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #27

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Wait on your paperwork. Some may disagree, but i always conceal. Like Mr. Wray says....open carry attracts attention. But i like to think of my CCW as my ace in the hole, and i dont like to tip my hand until i've been called.
That's what I say.

I don't even own a non-concealment holster because I don't ever intend to not conceal when carrying.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #28

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
Concealed carry is for personal protection. It's hard to protect yourself if someone with the intent to do harm knows exactly who their first target is before you ever have a clue.
If I was ever dead set on robbing a bank, gas station, whatever kind of stupid $hit one could think of, a bullet to the back of the head of the guy with a visible fire arm would be #1 on the to do list.
Just my .02
rules of awareness - constantly be on guard, and constantly keep a track of where EVERY SWINGING DICK AROUND IS LOCATED..........@ ALL TIMES. with Open Carry comes the responsibility, no, the obligation to protect not only yourself, but your firearm from those that would use it to do harm to you and/or others.

it is legal to Open Carry here in Louisiana, we hunt, shoot, and do the good ol' boy thang on the weekends, so it's no biggie when we are in town with our irons on.

the thing i ALWAYS keep with me (while carrying) is WHERE/WHAT part of town i am entering, AND i keep a CLOSE eye on EVERYONE that approaches me to get around, by, or take a wide berth.

being on constant awareness alert is the obligation and responsibility that goes with Open Carrying.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 10-03-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #29
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20035 Times on 11394 Posts
Likes Given: 50544

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
rules of awareness - constantly be on guard, and constantly keep a track of where EVERY SWINGING DICK AROUND IS LOCATED..........@ ALL TIMES. with Open Carry comes the responsibility, no, the obligation to protect not only yourself, but your firearm from those that would use it to do harm to you and/or others.

it is legal to Open Carry here in Louisiana, we hunt, shoot, and do the good ol' boy thang on the weekends, so it's no biggie when we are in town with our irons on.

the thing i ALWAYS keep with me (while carrying) is WHERE/WHAT part of town i am entering, AND i keep a CLOSE eye on EVERYONE that approaches me to get around, by, or take a wide berth.

being on constant awareness alert is the obligation and responsibility that goes with Open Carrying.
maybe it comes with age, but i learned a long time ago, stay away from places where trouble lurks. and if you have no choice than i agree with what you are saying.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #30

IMO, we start to buy into the whole "Mall Ninja" thing when we see a

BG behind every stop sign and car bumper. A very patiotic, loyal American

once said: "This is America, land of the free, home of the brave.

The very brave. I will go placidly amid the haste, and

while I very well may die on my feet, I will never live on my knees."

OH YEAH, that was me.

I refuse to let a bunch of scumball BGs have me fearfully

running scared everywhere I go. And God help the BG who uses me

to make a bad decision.

IMO, CC, relax, and enjoy the freedom, smell the roses, drink the

coffee, and be safer.