Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Open carry or not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 789 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default Open carry or not

Conceal is approved, just waiting for the license to be issued.

SWMBO and I went for a walk with our dogs this morning and I said, should I carry the gun to start getting used to it, and then answered my own question, naw, what could possible go wrong in this nice neighborhood so early in the morning...

Right up until I was sure a Shepard was going to clear his fence

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #2

Wise decision.

Concealed weapon charge will void your permit. You know well that CC is not legal unless you have the permit in your possession.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:28 AM   #3

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

One thing to learn and keep it on your mind is "always assume there is danger around the corner" some people say that its being paranoid for no reason. There is a big difference in being paranoid and being aware if your surroundings and being prepared.as far as open carry? If your CCL lets you choose to open or conceal carry, i would choose to keep it concealed. Open carry will bring you attention, and not the good kind.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #4
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Wait on your paperwork. Some may disagree, but i always conceal. Like Mr. Wray says....open carry attracts attention. But i like to think of my CCW as my ace in the hole, and i dont like to tip my hand until i've been called.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 789 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 160

OM,

Open carry is legal... While many can do it, I'm uncomfortable with it.

Wife had been attacked (without injury) by a pit a few years ago, that's when I started thinking about defense weapons. I was not real happy to see the Shepard just about clearing his fence this morning.

I don't think I'll make that mistake again.

Maybe the title would have been better worded, open carry or not carry

Old 09-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #6

OC is legal many places. If it recently became legal in an area, there will be some attention drawn to those that OC initially. Most of time, those seeing one carrying openly will assume they are a bail bondsman, parole officer or plain clothes officer.

That said, lets look at prudent reason.

1. Open carry is easier to reach and attracts less attention in doing so.
2. A person openly carrying is less apt to be attacked so they need their sidearm. Seriously would you go after someone you already know is carrying? There is only one documented case of it happening but several where those carrying concealed lost their money, jewelry and gun.
3. If legal, OC is cheaper to do than CC.
4. People in the south do not pay OC much attention. People in the north are more like to take notice or report such carry.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20070 Times on 11416 Posts
Likes Given: 50621

we have concealed carry in Texas. i wish that they would pass a law that allowed open carry here. i have read that states do have the right to open carry, and think along the same lines, would someone bother another person if they saw a handgun on their hip? probably not. here in Texas, if you have a concealed carry permit, you are not allowed to have your weapon visible at any time. which in winter months, not that big a deal. but in the summer months, over a 100 degrees, high humidity, you either have to carry a smaller weapon or take extra care to be able to conceal your firearm. big hassle. i just wish we at least had the option. as for myself i might carry open during the summer!

Old 09-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #8

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I live in a free state. I most often open carry. sometimes conceal. I conceal if I will be in crowds as even with a retention holster I am concerned about having someone grab my pistol (I know the odds of that are very very small). Open carry is quite common here. I have never even seen a police officer look at my gun when I oc. I believe if you OC the bad guys notice and avoid you and your house. I think most bad guys try to avoid places where the air might be polluted with lead. But situations vary and when I lived in the midwest I always carried concealed.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #9

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

I always conceal carry my LCP.

This thread has me intreged on open carrying my 45 ACPs. I have no hope of conceling them without a winter jacket, so maybe I'll just open carry instead.

I'm reading up on Virginia laws. So far, it looks like Virginia is a very good place to open carry.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 09-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #10

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

In MS open carry is legal only with a CCW, because it is considered (MS supreme court quote) "to be concealed in whole or in part" Meaning that even though you can obviously see it's a gun, and likely able to tell the make and even model if your familiar, because the parts inside the holster can't be seen you have to have a CCW. Ridiculous. I open carried before I got my permit, and yes most people just assumed I was a plain clothes cop, or bailbondsman, or security officer. When a cop asked me about it once, I told him "none of the above" and he just let me go on my merry way.