Open Carry for Florida....hopefully
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Open Carry for Florida....hopefully

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 02:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
michigan0626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 763
Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Open Carry for Florida....hopefully

Here is an email I received from the founder of Florida Open Carry. Another reason why I will be voting for Rick Scott for Florida governor.

Quote:
OpenCarry.org
(A pro-gun Internet community of over 22,000 registered members)


For Immediate Release – October 17, 2010
---------


Rick Scott Promises to Sign Open Carry Bill for Florida

Alex Sink Campaign Treats Open Carry Organizers like DMV Customers

Florida Open Carry to Hold “Open Carry Fish-Ins”
on Nov. 6th in Jacksonville, Tampa, Daytona, St. Augustine, and Ft. Myers

---------
Florida is one of only 7 states banning the open carry of properly holstered handguns, but apparently that doesn’t bother Florida’s Democratic candidate for Governor, Alex Sink, or her campaign managers.

Over the last two weeks Sink’s campaign staffers have stiff-armed repeated requests from both OpenCarry.org and Florida Open Carry for her position on restoring open carry rights in Florida. The question put to them was pretty straight forward:

“If a future legislature passed a bill restoring open carry rights in Florida, would a Governor Sink be inclined to sign it?”

Sink’s staffer “Jasmine” told Florida Open Carry’s Sean Caranna that the issue would need further “staffing and research” and that Jasmine did not know which department was handling the request but regardless, "you will just have to wait for them to get back to you.”
“It was like talking to the DMV,” said Caranna, noting that “this late in the campaign you’d think the Sink people would be more on the ball regarding major public policy questions like gun rights.”

But it didn’t take long for Republican Rick Scott to provide a position on open carry. Within hours of OpenCarry.org’s inquiry last week, the Scott campaign provided this remarkably straightforward statement from Mr. Scott on the open carry issue:
“As a member of the NRA and a hunter, I’m a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and I will protect our fundamental right to keep and bear arms. Florida is one of only seven states with wide prohibition on carrying an unconcealed firearm. Repealing the ban on unconcealed or Open Carry will eliminate practical and constitutional problems in Florida.”
According OpenCarry.org’s John Pierce,

"The choice before Florida gun owners on November 2nd is very stark. Voters must choose between a candidate with her head in the sand on gun rights, or Rick Scott who is clearly NOT in the closet when it comes to gun rights."

Meanwhile, no matter who wins the governor’s race, open carry organizers in Florida are driving on with both (1) an online petition to restore Florida open carry rights at FL Open Carry Petition
and (2) open carry “fish-in” events on Nov. 6th in Jacksonville, Tampa, Daytona, St. Augustine, and Ft. Myers; see Florida Open Carry | Facebook.

NOTE 1: Currently Floridians who want to open carry must be fishing or en-route to/from fishing; no gun carry permit required.

NOTE 2: Florida Open Carry’s Sean Caranna will speak at the Tea Party sponsored “Florida State Wide Get Out The Vote (GOTV) Rally” (on Saturday, October 23, 2010 at Orlando City Hall from noon till 2:00 p.m) about the effort to pass an Arizona-style open carry law to allow the people of the state of Florida to openly carry handguns without any permit. See more at Central Florida Republicans: Orlando Tea Party and the South Florida Tea Party - Florida State Wide Get Out The Vote (GOTV) RallySaturday, October 23, 2010.

Carry on!

About: Florida Open Carry is a grass roots movement of Florida residents who endeavor to raise awareness in the community of our second amendment civil rights. Our primary goal is to help educate others about their right to legally open carry and advocate for repeal of the general ban on open carry in Florida. Florida is one of only seven (7) states where open carry is generally prohibited.
__________________
كافر-INFIDEL

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
michigan0626 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 10-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lycanfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sarasota,FL
Posts: 5
Default

I was asked to sign a petition for open carry here in Florida. After I read the proposed law I refused. Why? Simply because anyone who reaches the age of 21 and fits all the rules for buying a handgun in Florida can do so. After a three day wait, they can just strap it on and walk out the door. All with NO TRAINING what so ever. If you need training to have a CCW then why not for open carry?

All I see is a large group going to jail because they don’t know the law or limitations of the laws of the State of Florida. Besides, why not just get a shirt made with “Shoot Me First” printed on the front of rear when you open carry.

If they want to do something how about removing the accidental brandishing or printing of a handgun while carrying it conceled.

__________________
Lycanfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanfire View Post
I was asked to sign a petition for open carry here in Florida. After I read the proposed law I refused. Why? Simply because anyone who reaches the age of 21 and fits all the rules for buying a handgun in Florida can do so. After a three day wait, they can just strap it on and walk out the door. All with NO TRAINING what so ever. If you need training to have a CCW then why not for open carry?

All I see is a large group going to jail because they don’t know the law or limitations of the laws of the State of Florida. Besides, why not just get a shirt made with “Shoot Me First” printed on the front of rear when you open carry.

If they want to do something how about removing the accidental brandishing or printing of a handgun while carrying it conceled.
Folks aren't going to jail in other states that have unlicensed open carry. Georgia has no training requirement to get a license and blood does not run in the streets. Just saying...
__________________
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SecPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Deerfield Beach,FL
Posts: 193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanfire View Post
I was asked to sign a petition for open carry here in Florida. After I read the proposed law I refused. Why? Simply because anyone who reaches the age of 21 and fits all the rules for buying a handgun in Florida can do so. After a three day wait, they can just strap it on and walk out the door. All with NO TRAINING what so ever. If you need training to have a CCW then why not for open carry?

All I see is a large group going to jail because they don’t know the law or limitations of the laws of the State of Florida. Besides, why not just get a shirt made with “Shoot Me First” printed on the front of rear when you open carry.

If they want to do something how about removing the accidental brandishing or printing of a handgun while carrying it conceled.
Please past through the intro section and tell us about yourself.
I agree training is always key, but we need to start somewhere. Requirements can be made for training.
__________________
http://safetyandawareness.com/
http://edccentral.net/ Checkout our Blog
http://edccentral.com/index.php A place for serious gear heads!!
[http://mercop.wordpress.com
http://www.themensroomonline.net/

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Certified (Traveling) Notary State Of FL
SecPro is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:57 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Greenacres,Florida / Palm Beach County
Posts: 124
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanfire View Post
I was asked to sign a petition for open carry here in Florida. After I read the proposed law I refused. Why? Simply because anyone who reaches the age of 21 and fits all the rules for buying a handgun in Florida can do so. After a three day wait, they can just strap it on and walk out the door. All with NO TRAINING what so ever. If you need training to have a CCW then why not for open carry?

All I see is a large group going to jail because they don’t know the law or limitations of the laws of the State of Florida. Besides, why not just get a shirt made with “Shoot Me First” printed on the front of rear when you open carry.

If they want to do something how about removing the accidental brandishing or printing of a handgun while carrying it conceled.
I agree about much of what you say and do not support Open Carry.
As much as I would like to be transported back to the old western era of the late 1800's and be able to ride my horse from town to town with my Colt on my hip, I just do not see the need for open carry in this day and age. However I do think and believe if a law abiding citizen is able to buy a gun, then they should be able to carry concealed without having to purchase a permit. I just don't see why someone has the need to carry a gun so everyone can see the gun. I really feel this is just plain silly and it will create more problems for us gun owners. I have heard all the arguments for and against but as a gun lover and a person who carried one on duty for 12 years, I just can't convince myself that this is a good idea. I think we should put all our efforts into the fight to Keep and Bear Arms instead of pushing the issue for open carry. Does one really have the need to show everyone that he has a gun, well I don't think so. //END//
__________________
SK2344 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
utf59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Orange Park,FL
Posts: 671
Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK2344 View Post
I agree about much of what you say and do not support Open Carry.
As much as I would like to be transported back to the old western era of the late 1800's and be able to ride my horse from town to town with my Colt on my hip, I just do not see the need for open carry in this day and age. However I do think and believe if a law abiding citizen is able to buy a gun, then they should be able to carry concealed without having to purchase a permit. I just don't see why someone has the need to carry a gun so everyone can see the gun. I really feel this is just plain silly and it will create more problems for us gun owners. I have heard all the arguments for and against but as a gun lover and a person who carried one on duty for 12 years, I just can't convince myself that this is a good idea. I think we should put all our efforts into the fight to Keep and Bear Arms instead of pushing the issue for open carry. Does one really have the need to show everyone that he has a gun, well I don't think so. //END//
I was under the impression that in a free society the government had to provide a compelling reason why something should be illegal, otherwise it should be legal — not that citizens should have to demonstrate a "need" in order for the thing to be legal. And who determines that need?

Personally, I'm for passing the open carry law. If it passes, I will continue to carry concealed. If someone wants to carry open and become the first target for ruthless bad guys, perhaps that person's noble sacrifice will allow me the chance to draw my own gun or simply make my escape.
__________________

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

utf59 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
michigan0626's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 763
Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

You carried on duty for 12 years. I am going to assume that your were a cop and not a personal protection agent based on percentages. By that, you carried openly for 12 years as a cop. If you dont see a need for open carry, practice what you preach and conceal carry your duty piece.

But, but, but,...Im a cop and its my uniform and I need to show the public whos in charge. I need to be able to draw faster that the bad guy.

Is your oposition against open carry because you wont feel as powerful because you wont be the only one with a gun on your hip visibly. Im not trying to but your balls. It just sounds hypocrytical to me. You opened carried for 12 years (I am assuming) and do not think the average American citizen should have the right, if they CHOOSE to, to openly carry a firearm.

I dont think these progressive liberals should make all of these anti-American comments or burn the flag, but I support their CHOICE to. I support the first amendment and the Constitution.

__________________
كافر-INFIDEL

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
michigan0626 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lycanfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sarasota,FL
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Folks aren't going to jail in other states that have unlicensed open carry. Georgia has no training requirement to get a license and blood does not run in the streets. Just saying...
True. I know of many States that have open carry. Some that won’t accept my CCW from any of the three States I have one from will allow me to open carry. I wonder about that too. I am all for a nationwide CCW. I am all for a lot of things. But I am against anyone carrying any kind of firearm without at least some basic training.

No they don’t need it. There is no blood running down any street because of it. But what it will lead to is the killing of innocent people because they don’t even know how to aim it. How many times have we read about 5 or 10 or 20 shots being fired and no one was hit? Why? Because they don’t know how to even aim a firearm. Now put that in a crowded mall and see how many are injured or killed who had nothing to do with it. Perhaps once it happens to a loved one of yours, you might see where I am coming from. If you want to know what I would like to see is that everyone with a CCW have at least 40 hours of classroom and shooting time from an instructor like Massad Ayoob.
__________________
Lycanfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:04 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
redrover3569's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Wales,Florida
Posts: 58
Default

I believe there should remain a permit process but keep it simple and educational not a maze of obstacles. Even if you can hit a target dead on there is still things to be aware of like what's behind that target. One thing that might escape some people is that the wrong kind of ammo shot into a fleshy area can pass through a person and hit something or someone else. People are not as responsible as they once were some even have to be spoon fed responsibility. Your teenage son might think your gun looks cool. Are you going to hand him a loaded gun without telling him how to safely handle it first. I'm all for the RIGHT TO KEEP AND BARE ARMS but I've seen how stupid people can be these days. Resposibily and safety first then you can carry the gun. On a side note open cary should be ok for a side arm while hunting or fishing but still basic gun safety class first. We don't need any accidents creating fodder for the anti-gun activists.

__________________

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chew your a#% out all day long!

Big Gun + BIGGER BANG = lower stress

redrover3569 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 198
Default

CCW is another form of gun control or in another way a state issued firearm permit.

Some people after taking a 3hour class think they are entitled or have a better skillset than someone who didn't which is just silly. A hunter safety course qualifies you for CCW in Florida.

Everytime a supposed gun enthusiast says they are against unlicensed carry it makes me think they support just about every gun control law out there like unlicensed ownership.

I wont argue about the reasons open carry should be legal because Its been said a million times.

The 2nd should be my license to carry.

__________________
wb_carpenter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Possible open carry for Florida-Vote Scott michigan0626 Legal and Activism 12 11-05-2010 06:01 PM
Would you open carry if you could? michiana Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 179 07-27-2010 03:24 AM
Open Carry aussierogue The Club House 25 04-13-2010 11:20 PM
Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry Debate Tony Soprano The Club House 31 08-06-2009 04:23 AM