One gun focus - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > One gun focus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

For me its grip angle. When shooting IDPA, going from a 1911 to a glock I could see a difference in my score. I shot a HK,1911 or Sig for that matter better. IMO,if your going to shoot a glock,shoot a glock.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7

Last edited by HKSlinger; 03-17-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #12

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
The old adage goes something like this: "Beware the man with one gun as he'll likely know how to use it".
I think in the old days when folks could only swing one or two guns and the preservation of their hides actually dependent on being proficient with one, that might have been the case. It is now just a myth perpetuated by those unlucky enough to only have one gun for whatever reason.

Nowadays when you bump into someone with only one gun more than likely it's one of the folks that are convinced that just HAVING a gun in the house is safety enough. So they go buy a gun, put a box of ammo next to it and lock it up in the safe or sock drawer and never look at it again.

They have never heard MY favorite adage "Buying a gun doesn't make you a shooter anymore than buying a guitar makes you a musician..."

Old 03-17-2011, 11:23 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I primarily carry a Sig 226 in 357Sig with a S&W 340PD as BUG but I am proficient with S&W K & N frames too as well as the 1911 the A1 does not feel right to me.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #14

Liked 727 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 772

i started my collection with many various guns.. but now im wanting to streamline my collection.. i want most of my guns to share calibers.
i would like the 30-06 family of military rifles, and my handguns to share a caliber with the medusa.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #15

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have limited funds to add to my collection of guns, and I shoot for fun mostly, but one of my side strategies is to have at least one gun for all of the most common calibers in my collection and be very comfortable in their usage so if the SHTF I will be able to utilize whatever rounds I can get my hands on when times are tough.

I currently have a handgun for .22, .380, .357, .44, .45, 9mm, and .40 and long guns in .22, .30C, .30/30, .223 and 12G

Still looking to get a .308 long gun...

Old 03-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #16

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I own a lot of guns, in many configurations, and am fascinated by them in general. There are not very many guns out there that I have not at least tried out.

But for serious use I believe in consistency, as it builds muscle memory and habit.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #17
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

I have a variety of handguns. Revolvers, and semi's, from various manufacturers. I do ok with all of 'em, but as posted, muscle memory is a good thing. That's why I've carried a 1911 of one make or another for over 35 years. I never could afford the ammo to compete, but in later years, I began to reload, so now I've got many, many rounds, and could afford it, but old age caught me..... go figure

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 03-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5526 Times on 2886 Posts
Likes Given: 359

i dont think the beware one gun guy thing rings true. a person with only one gun implies they dont like to shoot or when they do, do so with any frequency.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Do any of you folks practice with your week hand shooting and doing a reload with yourweak hand? When at the range I'll shoot left handed and try reloading with one hand simulating an injury. Surprised myself that I can shoot good with my left hand. MC

Old 04-05-2011, 03:09 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
But for serious use I believe in consistency, as it builds muscle memory and habit.
That is where I stand.

I have owned a few handguns within a very wide range (A Walther P22, and Kel Tec PF9, a taurus PT92, and a Raging Bull .44mag), and I think it is fair to say I am pretty capable with any of them. I tend to be pretty good with handguns, and have regularly picked up new-to-me handguns (.380, .40cal, 10mm, 3" .41 magnum, 6" SA .357, and of course various .22s) and shot them better than their owners. Trigger control, slowing yourself down, and learning to keep your eyes on the sights are pretty universal skills that are passed on between most any firearms. So, I am pretty confident I could hold my own with most any handgun.

The same goes with long guns, specifically semi-autos. My first gun was a Ruger 10/22, and I put about 300 rounds a week through it for about a year, in a "private" range of sorts that allowed me to run through all sorts of exercises that I'd otherwise pay hundreds of dollars to do. Since then, I've been able to pick up various semi-autos, from a couple of short-barreled H&Ks, to an AK47, and shoot both better than their owners and impress the other rangegoers.

Still, in all but the most extreme cases, whatever firearm you have to use will be what you brought in the first place (and not something you randomly found). Thus, you will have been better off putting 500 rounds per session through only that firearm, than having put 50 rounds each through 10 different widely varying handguns.

But Jon makes a good point. I would typically say that the guy who only owns or knows how to use one gun is probably not that good. But, I would definitely say I am an exception to that sentiment, as I do only own one gun (my Raging Bull), which I use for pretty much everything, but am actually pretty good with it and most any handgun in general.

Though, at the same time I do feel people tend to be a little "technochauvinistic." That is, we tend to admire equipment over knowledge or skill (not necessarily that any of you are doing that, of course). I can't tell you how many people I've seen riding $15,000, 200mph motorcycles who can barely wobble their way through a parking lot without putting their feet down. I can't tell you how many people I've seen with thousands of dollars of custom modifications done to their cars, but who couldn't tell you a thing about it more than how much power they were told it should make. Just the same, I've seen my fair share of people who come to the range with half a dozen guns, but can't really shoot any of them worth a damn.

I guess basically Im generally saying don't think having a 10-gun collection makes you any more of a shooter than having 1 gun. Strictly from the standpoint of becoming a good shooter, spreading limited resources into just owning a handful of firearms is undoubtedly worse than actually putting time and money into serious practice with the single weapon you own.