One gun focus
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > One gun focus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default One gun focus

The old adage goes something like this: "Beware the man with one gun as he'll likely know how to use it".

I think we'll all agree that if you focus on a particular type of gun you will gain proficiency with that gun. Also, we all have our favorites - mine are 1911s as I shoot them well (like most folks do). This being said, do you like to use and practice with different platforms? I know I do.

So far I've been to 2 action shoots (defensive scenarios with draw & fire, moving while shooting, moving targets, etc.) and I've used 2 different guns so far, a 1911 and a DA/SA Sig. The next one is a week from Saturday and I'll probably use the M&P .40 that's due to be delivered tomorrow. The one after that I think I'll use my 3 inch SP101 revolver and at some point I'll drag out the Taurus PT 92 just for fun. Not only do I like to switch around the platforms I shoot with, I also shoot most of the common handgun rounds pretty frequently. Maybe it's just me but I'd like to be "proficient" with every handgun rather than be an "expert" in only one. The way I see it is if the SHTF, I'll be comfortable and proficient with whatever gun/caliber I find handy...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree.

I want to understand different platforms and shoot them as much as I can. Even just learning how a particular guns safety works, take down procedure, etc. helps. Proficiency is something we can all aspire for and though it may come a long ways later, a little step towards the right direction is always a good thing.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 258 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I like shooting just about whatever. I'm green enough to this world that there's knowledge to be gained pretty much everywhere. I even like cleaning my guns after every shoot, because it's always another learning opportunity.

I'm not an expert on any platform, but at this point I do probably lean toward steel 9mms and the AR-15 platform. So when we go out shooting, the AR, CZ 75b, and BHP almost always come along. Which others I bring of my 9 guns is a bit of a crap shoot. I've been to a couple "defensive pistol" shoots at the local gun club, and I took my P226 since it's my nightstand gun.

But I do try to pounce on opportunities to work with new platforms, if only for the experience under the belt. Even if I may choose to never own a Glock for example, knowing my way around one is an asset that could someday pay dividends.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I used to work part time at a gun shop and I also had disposable income at that time. It gave me many opportunities to buy and sell a gaggle of guns. I also had the opportunity to learn about a bunch more.

As far as handguns, I currently own two 1911's. At some point I will again own another Browning Hi Power and either a Ruger Gp100 or a Security Six. That's about it. I may have to go through some trades and/or sales to get to those, but I will.

In the meantime, beware the man with two 1911's.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 03-17-2011 at 02:37 AM.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:42 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I'm a firearms addict, I love 'em all....except for Jimenez

Old 03-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry, just posting so I can find to read later.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 03-17-2011, 01:07 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2952 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

To be safe handling any firearm, it is good to learn different platforms.

But for serious business (SD, competition), give me a 1911 platform.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-17-2011, 01:42 AM   #8

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Buy as many as you can.

DK.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #9

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Being a one trick pony is what I'd rather not be. Like that douche Grandmaster from Top Shot's first season. All he did was whine if he was forced to shoot anything other than his beloved Glock. I figure when the space zombies finally get here, folks that can acquit themselves with whatever gun they find laying around will last longer...

Old 03-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I figure when the space zombies finally get here, folks that can acquit themselves with whatever gun they find laying around will last longer...
Indeed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”