Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   One gun focus (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/one-gun-focus-39862/)

NGIB 03-16-2011 01:07 PM

One gun focus

The old adage goes something like this: "Beware the man with one gun as he'll likely know how to use it".

I think we'll all agree that if you focus on a particular type of gun you will gain proficiency with that gun. Also, we all have our favorites - mine are 1911s as I shoot them well (like most folks do). This being said, do you like to use and practice with different platforms? I know I do.

So far I've been to 2 action shoots (defensive scenarios with draw & fire, moving while shooting, moving targets, etc.) and I've used 2 different guns so far, a 1911 and a DA/SA Sig. The next one is a week from Saturday and I'll probably use the M&P .40 that's due to be delivered tomorrow. The one after that I think I'll use my 3 inch SP101 revolver and at some point I'll drag out the Taurus PT 92 just for fun. Not only do I like to switch around the platforms I shoot with, I also shoot most of the common handgun rounds pretty frequently. Maybe it's just me but I'd like to be "proficient" with every handgun rather than be an "expert" in only one. The way I see it is if the SHTF, I'll be comfortable and proficient with whatever gun/caliber I find handy...

Poink88 03-16-2011 02:14 PM

I agree.

I want to understand different platforms and shoot them as much as I can. Even just learning how a particular guns safety works, take down procedure, etc. helps. Proficiency is something we can all aspire for and though it may come a long ways later, a little step towards the right direction is always a good thing.

sweeper22 03-16-2011 08:03 PM

I like shooting just about whatever. I'm green enough to this world that there's knowledge to be gained pretty much everywhere. I even like cleaning my guns after every shoot, because it's always another learning opportunity.

I'm not an expert on any platform, but at this point I do probably lean toward steel 9mms and the AR-15 platform. So when we go out shooting, the AR, CZ 75b, and BHP almost always come along. Which others I bring of my 9 guns is a bit of a crap shoot. I've been to a couple "defensive pistol" shoots at the local gun club, and I took my P226 since it's my nightstand gun.

But I do try to pounce on opportunities to work with new platforms, if only for the experience under the belt. Even if I may choose to never own a Glock for example, knowing my way around one is an asset that could someday pay dividends.

CA357 03-16-2011 08:46 PM

I used to work part time at a gun shop and I also had disposable income at that time. It gave me many opportunities to buy and sell a gaggle of guns. I also had the opportunity to learn about a bunch more.

As far as handguns, I currently own two 1911's. At some point I will again own another Browning Hi Power and either a Ruger Gp100 or a Security Six. That's about it. I may have to go through some trades and/or sales to get to those, but I will.

In the meantime, beware the man with two 1911's. ;)

General_lee 03-16-2011 11:42 PM

I'm a firearms addict, I love 'em all....except for Jimenez:D

Jesse17 03-17-2011 01:19 AM

Sorry, just posting so I can find to read later.

danf_fl 03-17-2011 02:07 AM

To be safe handling any firearm, it is good to learn different platforms.

But for serious business (SD, competition), give me a 1911 platform.

Durangokid 03-17-2011 02:42 AM

Buy as many as you can.:D

DK.

NGIB 03-17-2011 09:37 AM

Being a one trick pony is what I'd rather not be. Like that douche Grandmaster from Top Shot's first season. All he did was whine if he was forced to shoot anything other than his beloved Glock. I figure when the space zombies finally get here, folks that can acquit themselves with whatever gun they find laying around will last longer...:D

IGETEVEN 03-17-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 466552)
I figure when the space zombies finally get here, folks that can acquit themselves with whatever gun they find laying around will last longer...:D

Indeed. :cool:

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/anima.../1272348_o.gif