Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   One Glock G19 or Two Ruger revolvers? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/one-glock-g19-two-ruger-revolvers-79642/)

TNFrank 12-28-2012 07:11 PM

One Glock G19 or Two Ruger revolvers?

I currently only own one gun, a Glock G19 RTF2 that I've done a few mods to and that I have 1800+ rounds of ammo for. I also have 2, G17+2 mags and a G19+2 mag along with a stock G19 mag. With all the ammo, extra couple mags and holsters I could probably sell the gun for enough to pick up a Ruger SP-101 and GP-100 in 357Mag, that'd give me two revolvers instead of just one Glock. Of course I'd not have 19+1 rounds of 9x19mm+P anymore, just 6 rounds of 357Mag(or in the case of the SP 5 rounds) but still. That would set me up to get a decent lever action 357Mag next year after we get our tax return money.
I just hate the idea of giving up my Glock, I really do love that little gun but still, 2 revolvers would be kind of nice as well. I'm an old revolver guy from way back so I'm use to shooting them and I really like not having to police up all my brass when I shoot. I just simply don't know what to do here. With the buying frenzy for semi-autos right now it'd be easy to sell my Glock and I can probably get into the revolvers for a pretty decent price since no one really wants them right now. Anyway, what would ya'll do?

HOSSFLY 12-28-2012 07:23 PM

I don't do polls but i'd keep what guns i have & wait till the stupidness is passed & buy another-

marc29th 12-28-2012 07:26 PM

With all the extras you have I'd keep the Glock and save up for one of the Ruger 357's.

bigsilver45 12-28-2012 07:33 PM

i'm not a glock fan. but i do like the ruger GP100. if i were going to sell the glock, i'd be more inclined to buy two GP100's. the SP101 is easier to conceal, but i like a heavier weapon.

TNFrank 12-28-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigsilver45 (Post 1069603)
i'm not a glock fan. but i do like the ruger GP100. if i were going to sell the glock, i'd be more inclined to buy two GP100's. the SP101 is easier to conceal, but i like a heavier weapon.

I know, I had a SP-101 back in '98, it was my CCW and I loved the way that heavy little gun tamed the recoil of the 357Mag. I also had a GP-100 back in the late '80's, again, built like a tank, reasonable accurate. It's not like either of those two revolvers would be new territory to me. Like I said, I've probably owned more revolvers then I have semis.

orangello 12-28-2012 09:47 PM

The ammo makes it a tough call for me.

JTJ 12-28-2012 10:15 PM

You have already made up your mind and are just looking for approval. You are the shooter, do what you want. It is not someone else's choice.

TNFrank 12-28-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1069745)
You have already made up your mind and are just looking for approval.

Actually, I've not, that's why I have a poll posted with this thread. I love the G19, shoots straight, has Meprolite Night Sights, other upgrades, plenty of ammo, easy to carry. That's why it's a hard call, If I had two revolvers my wife would use one and I'd have the other so we'd both be armed. Of course I can always look around and pick up something for her with the tax return money, maybe even a decent little 22lr revolver like a Ruger LCR or something. That'd be a handy little gun to have.
Just kickin' stuff around trying to see where it'll land.

John_Deer 12-28-2012 11:19 PM

I selected two 357 revolvers. I would sell the revolver that I liked less and replace the glock.

trip286 12-28-2012 11:46 PM

I responded to a similar question a while back, and I'll respond in a similar manner...
How many guns can you shoot at once?

You only really must have one handgun, and you must be proficient with it (otherwise, you're a danger to yourself and others).

Needs vs wants needs vs wants needs vs wants...

Which is more important to you? You want one that you're proficient with? I see you've already owned a Ruger revolver in the past, so I would hope you're proficient with one already. But what about maintaining that proficiency? .357 mag ammo is way more pricey than 9mm, and you'd be shooting twice as much if you have two... You can save by shooting .38 through them, but you'll still be wanting to shoot both...

I would say stick with what you have, maintain your proficiency, and just save up for the other one's later if you desire.