Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > One in chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I carry a Glock condition 1 and have no fears. In the event of high stress situation, i doubt it if you have time to draw and rack. As long as you have a holster that covers the trigger guard, nothing bad could happen.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #22

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I figured this thread would be more about supporting a new shooter and his plus one anxiety.

So far the guy has been berated, criticized, and his thread seems to be going of on a tangent.

We all know that a gun will not fire without a round chambered, but we need to be giving this new shooter some support instead of arguing over it.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If your idea of giving him some support is to encourage him to do something that I think can put him in a bad situation, then I'm guilty as charged.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #24

My idea giving him support is encouraging him to be comfortable and eventually evolve his thinking beyond his loaded chamber anxiety.

Were you ever afraid of the dark as a kid? I was, and guess what? One day I realized there was nothing to be afraid of and I got the hell over it.

My son has been afraid of dogs for a while, but a couple of weeks ago he spent an afternoon playing with downsouth's big ass german shepherd.

Irrational fears can be overcome.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #25

I carried with a full mag and without one in the chamber until it felt comfortable enough to "take off the the training wheels" so to speak and rack one in the pipe. It was the single scariest moment ever but I knew that the gun simply could not fire unless I pulled the trigger. It did take a bit to get used to the idea of doing it, but once I did I now wouldn't carry without one in the chamber. The final deciding factor was when I was out for a walk and had a dog charge me. I thought for a moment about how I would ever draw and rack the slide if a big dog was chewing on either of my arms. I have never had a gun that was put in its mechanical condition of readiness, or cocked and locked, and went about my daily activities only to find at the end of the day the hammer was forward or the gun had 'fired'. I hate that I can't quite articulate what I am talking about in type, but what I did was carry the gun, I racked slide as if I had chambered a round, and then carried it all day. At the end of the day I checked the gun and it was still in the same position as when I started. You have to be comfortable doing it, bit you also have to trust in the gun to do its job, too. Get a good holster first and foremost and try carrying it racked and see that the gun cannot go off unless the trigger is pulled.... Simply put, be respectful of the gun but don't let that fear get to the point of making it the master of you. You be the master of your weapon, you absolutely can do it.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 01-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #26

Dawg, so basically what you did to get used to the idea, would be like the equivalent of a cocked and locked 1911 but with the chamber empty? That's an interesting approach. Seems like it would work.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had to come back into the conversation for a little more. carrying in condition 1 Vs. condition 3 is not a new debate as most of us have told the op how we carry, thats fine but if he/she is not comfortable doing so thats fine, there is training that can be done to be into condition 1 from 3 and on target just as fast (1-2 sec.) this will take time, but can be done. please remember to carry in condition 1 is a WAY to carry not THE way.

yes condition 1 IS the way for the 1911..........I know this.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 01-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #28

I have a G30 with CT grip and keep it in my Conceal Carry holster. I have one in the tube with nine in the mag. The reason I am comfortable with this setup is because I also use a MIC.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 01-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
My idea giving him support is encouraging him to be comfortable and eventually evolve his thinking beyond his loaded chamber anxiety.

Were you ever afraid of the dark as a kid? I was, and guess what? One day I realized there was nothing to be afraid of and I got the hell over it.

My son has been afraid of dogs for a while, but a couple of weeks ago he spent an afternoon playing with downsouth's big ass german shepherd.

Of course I was afraid of the dark as a kid. And of course I got over it. But being in a dark room never put me in a situation that could compromise my safety. Carrying a gun that is not ready to fire can. That is my opinion. It happens to differ with yours.

And to me, being supportive of the OP is providing him with ALL sides of the issue. Providing him with ALL the viewpoints. So that he has the information HE needs to make an informed decision based on what is important to HIM.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #30

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

When i was a kid, jason voorhees was always in the dark! Thats why after i used the bathroom, i flipped off the light switch and ran like hell.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis