One in chamber - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > One in chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Having a gun with a "yet to be chambered" round surely trumps not having a firearm at all.

That said, I have always and will always carry with a round in the chamber, regardless of what model I choose to carry. At some point you'll probably end up doing the same. A proper holster can alleviate a great deal of ND risks, as can finding a carry gun with safety features (like the no-brainer XD/Xdm grip safety) that may provide a little extra piece of mind.

Make your own decisions. But do take time to carefully reflect on why you carry. Imagine the senarios that you'd hope to best be prepared for, weigh the hypotheticals...and then factor in the practicality of racking the slide in said situations...the time it takes, the noise it makes, the attention it calls to you, etc.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:25 AM   #12

Liked 227 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If the gun is on me, it has one chambered.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #13

Liked 158 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Handicap View Post
Am new to fireaems and will most likely only carry without one in chamber. Is this a sticky topic here? Possibly i may move on to the other way i dont know. I need to just get used to having it on me, and not be worried so mush about an AD. I dont mind if u jump on me a bit, but please remember not everyone has 20 years CCW experience. I have none. Ane am new to firearms all together, its not that i am afraid of my weapon but i am afraid of an AD from lack of experince drawing especially from a concealed holster. I am practicing with a blue gun. Lets hear it please
If you don't want to load a round in the chamber, then you should go with a revolver.

A semi-auto without a round in the chambre takes two hands to load. That could be a problem.

For a semi-auto, loading one in the chamber, and then putting the hammer onto half-cock is the safest and fastest method of carry.

For handguns without an exposed hammer, you can't do this. That's why you should not buy a semi-auto without an exposed hammer. That's also why you should not buy a glock or other cheap half-plastic gun.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #14

Liked 158 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
If the gun is on me, it has one chambered.
Agreed. Agreed.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

If you don't want to load a round in the chamber, then you should go with a revolver.

A semi-auto without a round in the chambre takes two hands to load. That could be a problem.

For a semi-auto, loading one in the chamber, and then putting the hammer onto half-cock is the safest and fastest method of carry.

For handguns without an exposed hammer, you can't do this. That's why you should not buy a semi-auto without an exposed hammer. That's also why you should not buy a glock or other cheap half-plastic gun.
Not sure if I agree on the half-cock position being the safest. Maybe it depends on the firearm, but isn't the half cock position supposed to CATCH the hammer if its unintentionally released (by human or mechanical error)? Then again maybe I don't fully understand the half cock feature.

As for glocks, etc, though your opinion is noted and I'm sure shared by some, I feel 100% confident with my "cheap half plastic" XD and have no qualms about the safetiness of carrying it with one in the chamber. Just my opinion. Do what works best for you and makes you feel comfortable with carrying.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Personally, I always carry with one in the chamber. But carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting, and if one in the chamber makes you antsy, then don't carry that way. Like many others here, I think that over time you might change your mind, but it's your mind.

If you search the Internet for "Israeli pistol technique" or "Israeli pistol draw," you'll find a lot of discussion on how to deploy a semiautomatic that's carried without a round in the chamber.

A good holster built for your specific gun will keep the gun from being discharged while it's in the holster. Nearly all guns manufactured in the last couple of decades (maybe longer) have been engineered so they don't go off if they're dropped. Many guns are designed with grip safeties and/or "safe action triggers" to help prevent negligent discharges. And many guns also have triggers that require a very firm trigger pull to activate.

The last part of the equation is the user. As you spend more time practicing with your gun, you'll get more confident in your own skills and more familiar with what it takes to actually fire the gun. Since you're already practicing and are conscientious enough to spend so much thought and effort on safe gun handling, I have no doubt that you will one day feel at home carrying either with a chambered round or without.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

The Ruger SR9c has a thumb safety. As long as the safety is engaged you will not have a negligent discharge while holstering. You do need to learn proper handling technique so you keep your finger off the trigger and dont disengage the safety before you are ready to fire. Get comfortable and build some skills then you will be able to carry safely.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm one of those "idiots" who will tell you that you should carry with a round chambered.

If you need that gun to save your life or that of a loved one, chances are good that you will need it in a hurry. And racking the slide is something that will take time you may not have. Also, you have to consider the state of your mind and body in that situation. Far too many people believe that when they are faced with a life or death situation that they will meet it cooly, calmly and every action will be guided by rational thought. Nonsense. That may work for highly trained professionals like soldiers and LEOs, but even then, ask the average cop what kind of state he was in the first time he was in a real shooting situation. Chances are he'll tell you he was a basket case. And you will be too. The average person who finds themselves in that situation will go to pieces. I've talked to a person who's been through it. He can't even remember drawing the gun, much less using it. It's all a blur. I just believe when the time comes you simply won't have the mental faculties or coordination to chamber a round. Either you'll forget completely and end up pointing an empty gun at the bad guy. Or you'll end up fumbling around with the gun, trying to rack the slide with hands that have turned to mush. You may even drop the gun. Or you'll rack the slide with your finger on the trigger and end up firing a round when you didn't intend to, with possible disastrous consequences.

Having said that, I'm NOT trying to pressure anyone into doing something they don't want to do. You have to go with what you are comfortable with. If carrying a gun with a chambered round gives you the willy's, then you shouldn't. But if that's your decision....and it is YOUR decision. Then I urge you to practice, practice, practice. Take an unloaded gun and drill with it, drawing and racking the slide. Do it until its drilled into your head and you can do it without thought. Train until it becomes an unconscious act.

Sorry, that's just my opinion.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #19
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

Just because you don't like Glocks doesn't make them cheap junk.
The Glock trigger is designed not to go off unless intentionally pulled. The idiots that shoot themselves in the leg are exactly that.
Since a Glock doesn't cock until you pull the trigger you don't have to worry about half cock, full cock, or thumbing a safety when SHTF.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #20
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post

Ever hear the term "Going off half cocked"? Guess where that came from. Half cocked is not a safe method of carry.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."