Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > One in chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default One in chamber

Am new to fireaems and will most likely only carry without one in chamber. Is this a sticky topic here? Possibly i may move on to the other way i dont know. I need to just get used to having it on me, and not be worried so mush about an AD. I dont mind if u jump on me a bit, but please remember not everyone has 20 years CCW experience. I have none. Ane am new to firearms all together, its not that i am afraid of my weapon but i am afraid of an AD from lack of experince drawing especially from a concealed holster. I am practicing with a blue gun. Lets hear it please

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2012, 03:30 AM   #2

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Don't worry dude. When I first started carrying I never had one in the chamber. And yes some big shots will say "carry loaded or don't carry" and other stupid stuff.

Get used it at your pace. Take it to the range fire it and learn its habits and trigger pull. A stiff trigger is a good safety in itself. Once you shoot and get more confidence with the weapon itself. So will you feel better about carrying loaded.

I now carry loaded all the time.

I am new to the 1911 and am having to re-learn loaded carry all over again. Cause it sure is different!

What are you carrying BTW?

Loyalty can't be bought at any price;
but it can be rented remarkably cheaply.

Last edited by DodgerBlue; 01-21-2012 at 03:39 AM.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:37 AM   #3

Liked 1681 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

I carry one in the chamber. I feel like if I had to fight someone off with one hand my polymer gun will make a poor club if I am unable to rack the slide.

Keep in mind, if you accidentally pull the trigger that is not an accidental discharge. That is technically called a negligent discharge.

There are a lot of people that carry an empty chamber. I am not one of them. But I do not rag people for their personal decisions. That is a decision that you have to make for yourself.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:54 AM   #4

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You do whatever you need to become comfortable while carrying. If for some reason pink shoe laces and a purple hat make you comfortable, get some of those too. It is better to be comfortable, than to be semi afraid of your own gun.

By the way, what gun are you packing? Some of us may be able to help you with your anxiety of carrying plus one.

Another thing to remember- Practice, Practice, Practice.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:06 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am carrying a ruger SR9C, i like it alot. It will take time. Hell i dont like having keys in my pocket, a pistol feels like a truck. By the way i do wear pink golf shoes yes sir

Old 01-21-2012, 04:11 AM   #6

Liked 1681 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

You might try practicing drawing your real weapon instead of the fake one. Just make sure that it is empty. Rack the slide act as if it is loaded. Practice practice practice. I was worried about carrying my 1911 cocked and locked. So I spent a full day with my empty gun on my hip with the hammer back and the safety on. I felt pretty good at the end of the day when the safety was still on. Just be sure to empty your gun completely if you are going to practice your draw.

If you are still not comfortable carrying one in the chamber then don't. And dont let anyone intimidate you into doing something you are not ready for.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:11 AM   #7

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Handicap
I am carrying a ruger SR9C, i like it alot. It will take time. Hell i dont like having keys in my pocket, a pistol feels like a truck. By the way i do wear pink golf shoes yes sir
Disregard the gun, look at the slippers!

forumrunner_20120120_231010.jpg

I don't know anything about your particular model, but there are those here who do, if you can track some of them down, they may have some tips and pointers that may help you.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:29 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Handicap View Post
Am new to fireaems and will most likely only carry without one in chamber. Is this a sticky topic here? Possibly i may move on to the other way i dont know. I need to just get used to having it on me, and not be worried so mush about an AD. I dont mind if u jump on me a bit, but please remember not everyone has 20 years CCW experience. I have none. Ane am new to firearms all together, its not that i am afraid of my weapon but i am afraid of an AD from lack of experince drawing especially from a concealed holster. I am practicing with a blue gun. Lets hear it please
already you have Gotten some very good information, as trip has pointed out there are some that will tell carry loaded or not at all well…….I’m not one of them. You say you’re practicing this I agree with but, are you practicing correctly? with a blue gun is safe yes, Take the time and a little bit of money to get proper training. live round down range.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Last edited by rigjumpr; 01-21-2012 at 04:32 AM.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great advise thank you. I have practiced a fair amount with my weapon empty and safe. I was suprised at hard it was to draw and rack the slide effectivly, with out getting sideways. I started very slowly. When i go to reach for weapon with my right hand i take my left hand to mid chest at same time. Draw weapon with good grip role it forward bringing it arond to my upper belly height. Rack the slide and than my left hand joins it and i move from a chest ready position extending straight out. I am very particular about my grip and presenting it properly. I dont care how slow i am right now, i played sports all my life and i know practice will bring more speed and more confidence. Any thoughts??

Old 01-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #10

It took me about 3 months to start carrying with one in the pipe. Learn, practice and take it slow, you'll lose your fear and become more comfortable.