Which one
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Which one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 12:44 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Default Which one

Which 9mm bullet type is best for home defense in town?

With a bullet that;

1. does the job, and stops the threat?

2. does not leave my house and strike my sleeping neighbor.

3. does not give the county's DA with the thought that: I
acted in malice, towards another human( forget the fact
that the person you shot was in your house and posed a
threat), by using the most devastating bullet devised
by the sick mind of man, in other words My bullet choice
in the use of deadly force,on force, was not over kill.

Any thoughts?

I know that Uncle Joe would just fire a shot gun in the air...

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2014, 12:53 AM   #2

Liked 1051 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 1662

I use 124gr Federal HST in my 9mm for HD/SD. But its almost 1/2 mile to the next house over, so im not too worried about that.

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 02-19-2014, 01:10 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5724 Times on 2992 Posts
Likes Given: 379

A good shoot is a good shoot. People don't get prosecuted because of the bullet they used unless your doing something heinous to begin with.

9mm isn't a great hd round if penetration is an issue. 9mm is a penetrator type round it goes a ways. The only one I would use if Concerned about op would be the one listed below

Good hd rounds that aren't terrible over penetrating rounds:
00buck 12/20 gauge
223/556 55grain hornady vmax
38spl
45acp 230grain
9mm 147grain
Fn 5.7
45colt

The recipe is less than 1000fps
Or lightweight fast rapid expansion bullets.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

HM2Grunt Likes This 
Old 03-01-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3187 Times on 2167 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Also some lighter bullets that are made not to over penetrate..like the Fiocchi MonoBlock 92Gr. Expansion round..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
HM2Grunt Likes This 
Old 03-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1252

How well can you hit with the 9mm?

You can get a .50 BMG, but if you cannot hit with it, it does you no good to stop the problem.

Shot placement is more important than type of bullet in most cases. The 9mm used by the military is designed to wound, not kill. And over penetration is desired in a war environment.

Almost any 9mm in a JHP is preferred for the street.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my biggest concern with any ammo used for SD/HD purposes is simple. does it work reliabily? it's amount of penetration, or expansion or it's accuracy are only secondary factors for me. i choose to use what works each and every time the trigger is pulled. next is working on shot placement. if you have good shot placement, IMO that makes the bullets job easier, regardless of what type or brand. also most any major brand of JHP 9mm is usually going to work well and will be fine if it feeds well in your pistol. my personal preference are the Speer Gold Dots in 124 gr. for short barreled pistols.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

The answer to your question could very well depend on what you are shooting it out of. Wound balllistic results could be very different if you are comparing the same round through a 5 inch barrel and a 2 inch barrel.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thats why I have a 12 gauge with 00 buckshot no worries...

Sent from my iPod touch using Firearms Talk

Old 03-05-2014, 06:25 AM   #9
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3187 Times on 2167 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Default Which one

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
How well can you hit with the 9mm?

You can get a .50 BMG, but if you cannot hit with it, it does you no good to stop the problem.

Shot placement is more important than type of bullet in most cases. The 9mm used by the military is designed to wound, not kill. And over penetration is desired in a war environment.

Almost any 9mm in a JHP is preferred for the street.

Well enough, but if I could have a carbine, or a 30cal. Of some sort, I would employ that. I prefer distance if I can.
Wanted a Barrett for ever, but the cheapest semi is north of 8K, and the bolt actions are 5K & up. Thinking 338 Lapua now, but that ammo is expensive too..still learning and re-Learning shotgun stuff, but there too, I have always preferred a Semi auto to any other method of actuation. I learned on my Dad's A5 and my Uncle's Remington 11....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 03-05-2014 at 06:27 AM.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #10

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts

1. As stated, shot placement is often more critical than the round itself. But obviously a JHP or frangible type round is typically most efficient.

2.This will depend on your situation. Is it 10 feet between the neighbors house and yours? Is it 100? Is there anything between them that would help stop a bullet? What's your home construction? A modular home with very thin materials, or a standard Timber framed home or is there some form of stone used. It seems to me that most situations you may run into someone has done testing of sorts and posted it on YouTube or similar sites. I know I can find ballistic gel tests for every SD/HD round I have. I have also found people shooting, the fridge, washing machine ect. Do some searching and you should be able to have an educated idea what each round may do inside your home.

3. I think this is an issue that shouldn't arise but with recent politics I do understand the concern. I currently avoid the gimmick named rounds, I wouldn't want to have to explain why I used the "man killer 3000" but considering officers are carrying hollow points and frangible rounds I don't see how you could be beat up too bad for doing the same.

Lastly I had a similar discussion with a coworker who mentioned his gun club had brought in a group of lawyers to discuss SD/HD situations an he said that it is more common than not that even when everything is 100% justified it will still cost you $8000-10000 in legal fees confirming your innocence.