Older shooters - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Older shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 674 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 391

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
I never tell anybody how they should do anything. I've come to realize that young people know everything and are much smarter than me. I fully recognize that as I get older - I keep finding out more and more about what I don't know.
Yep! I am slowly realizing that what I've learned apparently only works for me. So I'm working on keeping my advice to myself and let everyone 'learn from their own mistakes.' I always thought the idea was to 'learn from the mistakes of others,' but seems that is an out-moded way of thinking.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 PM   #32

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius10721
The closest I have come to giving people advise is one day at the range I had some youngsters (20s) bitching about how lousy the guns they rented were shooting. So I politely asked them if they minded if I shot them to see what was wrong. To make a long story short once I got done shooting thier rented guns they shut up about how it was the guns fault. I'm 40 years old and I was raised to respect my elders so I try my best to be patient and let them finish thier stories about thier glory days and whatever else they want to talk about. Sometimes I'll even ask them if they wana shoot and compare targets. 10 more yrs ill be and old dude. some might consider me old now.
Agreed. I was raised the same way. When given advice I usually try it to see if it works better for me. I sometimes even ask them about their shooting experiences. Because I like to hear stories, where I may learn something or get a good laugh (if that's what they intended).

I have been shooting for little over a year now. And when I have friends come with me that haven't shot before. I give them multiple ways to aim, shoot, load weapon, or clear the gun. That I have learned from experienced shooters or read on the Internet, gun forums, ect. Because the way I do may not work as well for others.

I was merely wondering what is behind their thought process? Or maybe it's just because they are the stubborn type of person that is set in their ways.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5705 Times on 3225 Posts
Likes Given: 5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by psymmonds View Post
Why is it that when ever I go to the gun range that there's always an older shooter that thinks that their way of handling a pistol is the best and only way. Don't get me wrong I like getting good advice. It's just annoying when each of them has told me something different. I take what I think is the best of the advice. But I was just wondering if any body had an idea of why they think their way is the right way compared to others?
Extensive training and experience, maybe????

The desire to share what you've learned the hard way in the hope that you can make it easier for the next generation???

I don't give out advice unless it's asked for or I see a younger, inexperienced shooter that obviously doesn't know jack schidt trying to teach someone else things that are wrong.

Safety is a different animal I come unglued at unsafe gun handling regardless of the shooters age.

Winston Churchill

Last edited by locutus; 12-17-2012 at 06:29 PM.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #34

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post

But that ^^ was not ---
Thats how BS really starts- another wants to egg it on cause he has nothing intelligent to add-
From a frequent eye roller... lol! Just saying. Hahahaha

Old 12-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #35

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Hey! OLDE PHARTES ROCK!! Watch it!!! Lol

Old 12-17-2012, 11:22 PM   #36

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Tis the "Season"..."Ya better watch out, ya better not cry, Santa Claus is coming to town"! Lol