Older shooters - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Older shooters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 02:18 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I'm not old. I just want you the hell off my lawn!

Let your reps know how you feel about your 2nd Amendment Right.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Colby Likes This 
Old 12-17-2012, 04:15 AM   #22

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I live in a Free State no gun permits needed to carry open or concealed and over 60 % of the state is Public lands. How about you? I have millions of acres of public lands So? I enjoy using a private gun club range. Are you trying to tell me bad manners are only seen on club ranges?

Old 12-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #23

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I live in a Free State no gun permits needed to carry open or concealed and over 60 % of the state is Public lands. How about you? I have millions of acres of public lands So? I enjoy using a private gun club range. Are you trying to tell me bad manners are only seen on club ranges?
I don't think he's trying to say that anyone is showing bad manners, they mean well, perhaps it's just one of those things younguns have that disallow for the taking of advice from anyone else without being offended by it.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #24

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Old Guys

I suppose I fit into the 'old guy' category. I am about 63 years of age, retired and have a lot of grey/white in my hair.

I don't typically intrude in others' shooting - safety issues aside. However, I do regularly get caught up with people griping about the gun they have - after I've noticed they are closing their eyes prior to yanking the trigger. Sometimes I will be approached with "... you seem to know how to shoot that thing; can you tell me...?"

So I'll do a bit of impromptu coaching. Not uncommonly, I'll have the person who asked me say, "But I do it this way..." At that point I will usually ask them "Is that working for you?" Usually they get the point, but sometimes that makes them angry.

Such is life.

I can shoot pretty well because I used to have the problems new shooters have. I was a new shooter. I learned a little from my direct experience, a lot more from reading books written by 'old guys' like Elmer Keith, Jeff Cooper, Skeeter Skelton, Bob Nichols, Fairbairn and Sykes and others. And I learned a great deal from three or four 'old guys' I happened to meet. Sadly, they're all dead now. But they were once new shooters as well, and learned how to avoid the errors of new shooters.

Is the way I shoot the 'only' way to shoot? Nope. But it does work.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #25

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Beyondthebox,

Old 12-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #26

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I never offer advice unless asked, if I see some person of any age committing a safety violation/Un safe act/ range rule violation I tell the RSO, not the individual. I guess I am one of those old guys over 75 with over 60 years shooting experience that does not try to help the young shooters. Most that i have encountered at the range appear to have little or no weapons training. To be honest, I care less if they are doing whatever wrong as long as it has no impact on me or the other shooters.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by chuckusaret; 12-17-2012 at 06:13 AM.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #27

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Beyondthebox,
I still have no clue what this eye rolling is suppose to mean, or how a self respecting grown man could do it and not feel self emasculated... Do you disagree? If so I can think of many more articulate and worthwhile reactions than eye rolling. Hard to make a point or combat another's without using words to do so.

Then again, perhaps you're a teen girl, in which case I see your point, well put, moving forward...

Old 12-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #28

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I still have no clue what this eye rolling is suppose to mean, or how a self respecting grown man could do it and not feel self emasculated... Do you disagree? If so I can think of many more articulate and worthwhile reactions than eye rolling. Hard to make a point or combat another's without using words to do so.

Then again, perhaps you're a teen girl, in which case I see your point, well put, moving forward...
Lol burn! Now that was. Funny!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #29

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius10721 View Post
Lol burn! Now that was. Funny!
But that ^^ was not ---
Thats how BS really starts- another wants to egg it on cause he has nothing intelligent to add-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #30

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

By cracky when I was young I had to walk up hill in the snow to to anything. And I'd have to walk up more hills in more snow to get home because mobile homes in those days where always moving around

By the way..you're doing that wrong..And get off my lawn!!!!!!!

Now I'm pulling my pants up to my armpits and complaining about the government full time.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson