Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Handgun Discussion (
-   -   old s&w 38, can you help????? (

maday 06-22-2008 11:43 PM

old s&w 38, can you help?????
Hi there i found this web site and joined today in hopes that someone can help identify my fathers old gun. It is a 5 shot smith and wesson that has a t clip that breaks down like a shot gun , if you know what i mean.On the side of the barrel it says "38 s.&w. ctg and the serial on thw cylinder and the bottom of the handel is 5429**. I am just trying to find out a round about year on this .Appreciate any help.....maday:):)

ScottG 06-23-2008 01:17 AM

Probably an old break top revolver. From your description it's chambered in .38 S&W, doesn't mean it is a S&W. Do you have any pictures you can post?

Righteous 06-23-2008 02:12 AM

does it look like this?

Dave Gafvert 06-12-2009 02:25 PM

S&W Brake top revolver
These are normaly marked on the top of the rib on the barrel as to the maker. There were alot of companys that made them, the 38 S&W cartridge
is much shorter than the 38 Spl, and is 0.018 larger in dia, than the 38 Spl,
You can get reloading dies and shell cases from Midway. The 38 S&W was
used by the British in WW2. Hope this helps. Dave

WILDCATT 06-13-2009 10:59 PM

it has to be a break would be before WW2.I have a 32.hammerless safty.and it would be a 38 S&W not special.:eek::rolleyes:

skullcrusher 06-13-2009 11:10 PM

Almost responded to a 1 year old thread...actually did, but edited out. Doh!

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:29 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.