Old fashioned?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Old fashioned?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Default Old fashioned?

Dropped by my local range the other day as I needed a bit of trigger time. I decided it was "revolver day", so I had my 686+, 4 inch Trooper, and my 617 with me. I had been shooting maybe 10 minutes or so when 3 young fellas came in and took the lane one removed from me. They were shooting rental Glocks - both 19s and 23s.

I could here some of their conversation and they were giving me odd glances quite often. Finally I heard one of them say "wonder why he likes to shoot the old fashioned guns" and he didn't even use the term revolver. These kids were ripping off rounds as fast as they could and their targets looked like shotgun patterns (at 5-7 yards). I think maybe I understand the mindset of some of our youthful shooters a bit better now...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

There's just something about a good wheel gun that makes them great. Maybe it's a sense of history or something.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Well, some people will always look for the latest weapons thinking that newer will always mean better. I always heard that my weapons were out of date and had too low a capacity. I'm pretty sure a day will come with these youngins' that they will love to know half of what they thought they knew then. Happens to a lot of us.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I was actually just thinking that of all the different guns I've owned - I've never owned or even shot a big bore single action revolver. May have to trade off one of my semi's to get a Vaquero and give them a go...

Old 04-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #5

I'm speechless on account of how much these kids suck.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” J. Cooper

Old 04-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Although I don't shoot it very oftern, my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk .41 Magnum with a 7.5 inch barrel always draws looks at the range. I've done nothing more than put a lighter trigger spring on it, and it has the best trigger pull of any pistol I've ever had, and will out-shoot me any day. It also puts out quite a blast when loaded with my silhouette loads of H110, and that ususally creates quite a reaction from the younger crowd...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 04-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2858 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 254

When I go to public ranges I generally shoot wheel guns only because I can retrieve my brass. I like to mess with people at indoor ranges and shoot the .41 Mag full house loads. There is just something about a 170gr bullet going 1600 fps out of a 6" barrel that messes up everyone else, but me.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

My favorite revolver for the range was a Blackhawk in .30 carbine. Lots of flash and noise.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2955 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

I would have asked them "what is better? Hit with 6 or miss with 14?"

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Sadly, Dave, I'm getting to the age of actually knowing how you feel.

Did you ask them to ahoot your old fashioned guns? I'd certainly like to!!