Okay, you were right.....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Okay, you were right.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Okay, you were right.....

....I am frickin hooked!!!!

Finally got my first handgun last Thursday. Went out both Saturday and Sunday, probably knocked out at least 200 rounds. My buddy is going to take me back out to the range on Thursday or Friday night and help me sight the thing in, as I'm consistently hitting the lower left of the target.

Kinda funny thing happened on Saturday though...I'll share. My girlfriend wanted to go out to the range with me, so I have a witness to this. Sent the first target down to the back of the indoor range (50 feet). Loaded five in the clip and shot all five. Brought the target back to see how I did.

Put a round EXACTLY dead center of the target, took out the number 10 actually, that's how dead center it was (shooting a .22 Ruger slabside Mark III, by the way). Now normally that would be bragging rights, no?

However, there wasn't a single other bullet that hit the target. Heck, I don't even know which of the 5 I shot was even the one that hit, so pure and simple dumb, stupid luck that the one that hit did so dead center!

By the way, Shot another hundred or so rounds, and only missed the target a few times altogether, which I hope isn't too terrible for the first time ever with a gun. Just thought i'd share, as I found it amusing as hell. Even brought the target in to work today to show the guys....everybody is getting a good laugh out of that one!

Thanks for the encouragement along the way guys as I've been talking about this for a month or so. I've found my new hobby (or obsession, depending on how you look at it)!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by taihawk View Post
My buddy is going to take me back out to the range on Thursday or Friday night and help me sight the thing in, as I'm consistently hitting the lower left of the target.
I'm going to guess that you are pumping your grip. It is when you go to squeeze the trigger and all fingers tighten on the gun causing it to dip to the left (assuming you are right handed).

I tighten my grip to solve the problem so there isn't "play" in my hand. Others may have a different suggestion as how to deal with it.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 08-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #3

Congrats on your new drug. Just word of wisdom...I stared shooting in late March early April so I know about the low-lefts. It's not the gun, it's you. If you are shooting the center out of a target at 7 yards with one gun and then you start shooting low left with something very similar, it MAY me the gun. Usually it's the Indian, not the arrows. Let someone very skillful shoot your gun. If THEY say it's off, get it adjusted. This is not meant to offend, only to help. Good shooting.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 08-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7319 Times on 4403 Posts
Likes Given: 8982

Quote:
Originally Posted by taihawk View Post
Put a round EXACTLY dead center of the target, took out the number 10 actually, that's how dead center it was (shooting a .22 Ruger slabside Mark III, by the way). Now normally that would be bragging rights, no?

However, there wasn't a single other bullet that hit the target. Heck, I don't even know which of the 5 I shot was even the one that hit, so pure and simple dumb, stupid luck that the one that hit did so dead center!
Listen to the two posters above me.

I am pretty new to shooting, too. It's very fun to see how well you can do. Maybe start with your target a little closer than 50 ft. You want to have fun, not get discouraged.

I also agree it may be your grip and not the sighting in of the gun. I, also, tend to shoot to the left a little and others have shot my gun and it seems to be sighted in pretty accurately.

And how do you know if you didn't shoot all 5 shots exactly dead center and it only LOOKS like one went through?

Keep having fun and keep posting your range reports. How did your little lady do shooting the gun? You let her shoot it, didn't you?

Old 08-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This should help

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 08-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #6

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

When you are new to shooting or have a new gun, don't send the target so far back to start with. Start out at the 5 or 7 yard line and get the feel of the gun and see where the shots are striking the target first.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #7

Thank you all for the input....all of it is greatly appreciated. LOVE that target with 'trouble shooting' zones on it above, and it makes sense. Thinking about it, you may be right on the money....I think that maybe I was pulling back too quickly with my trigger finger. Will try that out tomorrow night and see what happens. Will also try only halfway down the course, versus the whole 50 feet and see how accurate things go with that.

And yes, let the little lady shoot as well. She's just as pumped about it as I am. I am going to join the pistol league here this winter, and she was asking if I'd mind if she joined with me. I told her of course she could, I would love it.

Was always intrigued by this, but never would have guessed how absolutely obsessed I would become so quickly! What a ball!!!!

Old 08-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
And how do you know if you didn't shoot all 5 shots exactly dead center and it only LOOKS like one went through?
This is what i was thinking; you told the story wrong man.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7319 Times on 4403 Posts
Likes Given: 8982

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
This is what i was thinking; you told the story wrong man.
Yeah, it's kind of like the fisherman who caught a HUGE fish.......but it got away.

I'm glad you are having so much fun. I know the sense of excitement you are experiencing. It's an awesome adrenaline rush. Have fun!!

And pictures...........we need pictures.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Congrats on getting hooked, good advice already given the target Mesinge2 posted is a huge help. I still keep them in my range bag and any time my grouping starts to wander too much I put one up and get back to basics. Also great for getting familar to a new firearm.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.