You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

OK, .22 pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

One of the nicest 22 LR semiautos I've ever seen is the Beretta Model 87 (the standard rather than the target). Bought one for my wife and she let me shoot it the first time out. A really fine weapon. Can be carried with the hammer down for DA/SA or optionally carried cocked n locked. Accurate for such a small gun too. These days the wife guards it carefully and chases me away when I get close (LOL).

Solved the problem with a Advantage Arms 22 Conversion Kit for the Glock 20/21. Not as accurate as the Beretta but if you follow the makers instructions for choice of ammo and lubrication it is as reliable as the Ruger 22/45 I used to have as a loner for the classes I taught. The AA kit also gives me extra trigger time on my primary weapons (G21s & G20s).

Never could warm up to 22 revolvers. Always seemed too much bother loading just to shoot 6 rounds. The S&W 617 pictured above would be an answer except for the MIM hammer & trigger and that idiot lock above the cylinder release. Oh well...

Dave

Old 10-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #22

Liked 29 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
The S&W 617 pictured above would be an answer except for the MIM hammer & trigger and that idiot lock above the cylinder release. Oh well...

Dave
None of which bothers me at all. Some folks take issue and some don't...

Old 10-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #23

Calm down! I wasn't criticizing your choice of 22 firearms, just explaining why the 617 pictured would not be an answer for me.

Dave

Old 10-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #24

Liked 29 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Calm down! I wasn't criticizing your choice of 22 firearms, just explaining why the 617 pictured would not be an answer for me.

Dave
I'm calm, just making the point that these issues are important to some and not important to others.

In a defensive pistol these issues may be relevant to some, in a .22 plinker not even remotely. I have yet to hear of a single failure of an MIM hammer or trigger and I also spend time on the S&W forum. As far as the internal lock goes, there have been reports of it self engaging in big bore and/or light frame guns. My 686+ serves as my nightstand gun and I disabled the IL just to be on the safe side...

Last edited by NGIB; 10-07-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #25

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
It carries a 144mm red dot that is good for 1000 yards head shots on field mice.
OK, .22 pistols - General Handgun Discussion

Sorry, it had to be done. For the children....

'Nother Ruger owner here. New Model Single Six and a MK III (slightly modified of course).

OK, .22 pistols - General Handgun Discussion

Years ago I bought a brand spankin new Colt New Model Service Ace. Ended up selling it to help buy my first house.
Stupid.... stupid.... stupid.... stupid....

Old 10-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I'm calm, just making the point that these issues are important to some and not important to others.

In a defensive pistol these issues may be relevant to some, in a .22 plinker not even remotely. I have yet to hear of a single failure of an MIM hammer or trigger and I also spend time on the S&W forum. As far as the internal lock goes, there have been reports of it self engaging in big bore and/or light frame guns. My 686+ serves as my nightstand gun and I disabled the IL just to be on the safe side...
Hey, if you're happy more power to you. MIM is a cost cutting measure that marks a reduction in quality. The lock was designed by lawyers, not gun people. I object to both and won't spend my money on either one. That's my choice. I haven't said anyone else should do anything but what they want.

Dave

Old 10-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #27

Liked 1465 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Hey, if you're happy more power to you. MIM is a cost cutting measure that marks a reduction in quality. The lock was designed by lawyers, not gun people. I object to both and won't spend my money on either one. That's my choice. I haven't said anyone else should do anything but what they want.

Dave
Hey Dave, does your disdain for MIM carry over to things other than handguns?

If so never look under the hood of your car! OK, .22 pistols - General Handgun Discussion

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-08-2009, 12:23 AM   #28

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3502 Times on 1614 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
MIM is a cost cutting measure that marks a reduction in quality. Dave
I agree with Dave T on this point. I would not, knowing what I know after spending close to 6 years in a gunshop, carry a personal defense weapon with MIM parts in it. That is a personal, prejudiced, and opinionated view.

In a .22 pistol, I would not object as this is a cost cutting measure, if the cost savings was passed along to the customer. I would never carry, or bet my life on a .22, especially a pistol, so the MIM parts would be a moot point....

Everything in context gentlemen, everything in context...

JD

Old 10-08-2009, 04:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Hey Dave, does your disdain for MIM carry over to things other than handguns?

If so never look under the hood of your car! OK, .22 pistols - General Handgun Discussion
Ya know, I have tried to explain a couple times that this is just my opinion and I'm not telling anyone else what to think or do. Now a second poster has chimed in giving me gruff about what I said.

canebrake,

I have owned and still own S&Ws that had forged steel hammers & triggers, case hardened to give the baring surfaces resistance to wear. I admire the workmanship and quality that went into those fine revolvers and the introduction of MIM parts by S&W marked a cheepening of the brand as far as I'm concerned. I don't want to buy any of the newer Smiths. I didn't realize I needed your permission or was required to look under the hood of my truck before expressing that opinion on an open forum.

I'm new to this particular forum but not gun forums on the internet. I'm beginning to think joining FirearmsTalk may have been a mistake.

Dave

Old 10-08-2009, 04:05 AM   #30

Liked 1465 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
I'm new to this particular forum but not gun forums on the internet. I'm beginning to think joining FirearmsTalk may have been a mistake. Dave
You can make that decision in 9 posts???

Oh yea, I don't chime in.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello