Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > OK, .22 pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default OK, .22 pistols

Along with 1911s, I love .22 pistols as they're much fun and cheap to shoot. Here's my opinion (for what it's worth) on some popular models.

For semi-autos, the 2 top guns year after year seem to be the Ruger and the Buckmark. I've had multiples of both and both are great guns. While the Buckmark has the best trigger out of the box, I prefer the steel frame Ruger. If Browning would include 2 mags and a steel sight base - it would be a tougher selection. The poly-framed Ruger 22/45 is a fine gun as well but I find the grip area way to thin for me.

For a "duty trainer" type .22, there are conversion kits available for 1911s, Glocks, and Sigs. I've used these on a 1911 and they offer good trigger time and cheap operation. I'm also a real fan of the Sig P series .22s Sig offers most of their P series guns (220, 226, 229) as a .22 with a coupon in the box for appropriate centerfire conversion kit. This is a cost effective way to get a great dual-caliber gun.

In DA revolvers, the only real choice for a new gun IMHO is a S&W - and I prefer the 617. Taurus and Charter both make .22 revolvers but they aren't on the same page as the Smiths. In used guns I also give the nod to S&W and the gun I'd love to have is a Model 18, which is the .22 version of the legendary Combat Masterpiece .38 special. If you can find one, Colt also made some really great .22 revolvers - but they are seriously expensive. For a great gun at a great value, the Dan Wesson .22s are available at a reasonable cost and are tremendous guns.

If you don't have a good quality .22 pistol - your collection needs one...

Last edited by NGIB; 10-01-2009 at 09:22 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #2

There are 2 popular (or infamous) .22s that I didn't mention above as they belong on their own - the Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito.

Mention either on an internet forum and you'll soon get 10 posts that say they suck and 1 post that says they're OK. My wife has a P22 and my son has a Mosquito - and both of these have been reliable and fun plinkers. Neither was designed to be a target gun and we don't expect that kind of accuracy - so we're not disappointed. We probably have 3K rounds through both of these, mostly Federal bulk ammo, with no real problems. My son's Mosquito will actually shoot Remington Thunderbolt reliably which I find amazing to say the least.

Personally, even though we've been happy with ours - I wouldn't recommend either as they're a crap shoot at best. I've actually shot "bad" examples of both so I know the bad press is deserved in some cases. If you're considering either of these - shoot before you buy and if you get a good one they are a lot of fun...

Old 10-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm a HUGE fan of the Rugers. A lot of people have trouble putting them back together after field stripping to clean, but once the procedure is learned, it's easy. I currently have 2 of the Rugers-a mk 2 slab side and a mk 3 22/45. The slab side is considerably more accurate than the 22/45 mk 3-not that the 22/45 is a slouch, just that the scoped slab side is amazing.

For 1911 conversions, In my opinion the Marvel conversion is reliable & the most accurate due to it's design.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-02-2009, 01:33 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I agree a 22 handgun would be, and is my handgun of choice in a wilderness survival senerio. However the guns you mentioned are all new guns. You failed to mention the 3 most famous and used 22 handguns used in the civilization of the north country. The Colt Woodsman, the High Standard models B and HD, and the Smith & Wesson Outdoorsman. These 3 have been there, done that.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
I agree a 22 handgun would be, and is my handgun of choice in a wilderness survival senerio. However the guns you mentioned are all new guns. You failed to mention the 3 most famous and used 22 handguns used in the civilization of the north country. The Colt Woodsman, the High Standard models B and HD, and the Smith & Wesson Outdoorsman. These 3 have been there, done that.
You're correct that these are fine guns; however, none of these 3 are readily available and they can be very pricey. I focused my discussion on mass market pieces that are readily available both new & used...

Old 10-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I would like to add a new comer to the market. The Beretta Neos. I have a neos 6.5". It has good open sights that are not even close to sighted in from teh factory. Not a big deal to me. The things I just love about this little gun are, The barrel is held to the frame by one nut with a locking device on it so once tight it will not come lose the barrel has a full length weaver rail on the top allowing for mounting a scope, red dot (Mine) or a reflex sight. I have found you needs to be 35 or under to really like this gun. It is a little space age looking and on the higher end model comes with interchangeable colored grip panels in gray, blue and I think red but I am not sure. I purchased mine at Gander Mtn. for the whopping price of $199 +Tax. While not as accurate as the Browning or the Ruger it is close and plenty accurate for a good Sunday range day plinker. I have taken a few squirrels with him at 50 yards and under. One big plus is if you have a younger child you can buy barrel from 4.5", 5.5", 6.5" in length. I would like to see a 7.5" or even a 8.5" barrel offered. The trigger pull is ok to good. Not as good as the browning but it can hang with a factory ruger trigger. If you have a younger video game loving kid like I do the Beretta Neos may just be the ticket to get him off the duff and on the range.
825_big_1.jpg

Old 10-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #7

Sorry Tango but that gun has more ghey than a Glock - by a country mile. I have to ask you - do you wear your frilly girl panties while shooting that one?

Actually, I've heard a lot of good things about them - I just couldn't own one myself...

Old 10-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Mine for your informaion is all black (A man color) and shoots neonatlenukeapile tip ammo. It carries a 144mm red dot that is good for 1000 yards head shots on field mice.

Like I said you "OLD CRUSTY EFFERS" may not like it. At least my Neos has more ergonomics than a effing 2x4.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #9

You Lie! (I am from SC)

We all know you have the pink trimmed model and use subsonic girlie ammo...

Old 10-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I have a Super Single Six and a S&W 22a. The Smith looks a bit cheesy, the finish on the barrel looks like rustoleum. It shoots like a dream. 10 shot groups at 10 yards you can cover with a dime. $125 at a pawn shop, I can't complain about it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball