Oil & lubing my weapon ??

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Oil & lubing my weapon ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Oil & lubing my weapon ??

If I don't fire my weapons often at all, should I constantly re-oil/lube ?
I keep them in a safe with a dehumidifier, but I don't want anything to happen to them ?
Also what is the best lube for handguns and shotguns ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #2

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

How often is this inconsistency of shooting? I shoot maybe once a month or two, don't bother with lubing between. It doesn't hurt to lube it a little more every once in a while tho.

I'm not getting into what lube specifically, just anything designed for guns, some synthetic motor oil, lithium grease, etc... I like plain old Hoppies.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 01-22-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #3

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

I have a gun or two that don't get as much action and attention as they used to.What I do with something I know I won't use for a while is after a good cleaning and my regular lube I'll give the entire pistol a light coat of Remmy oil.Probably not a necessity but since I started doing this my newer pistols have not picked up some of the issues my older ones had.Like surface rust and discoloration due to sitting to long.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1471

Two different matters here. For blued or parked firearms, in storage- now and again give them a wipe down with an lightly oiled cloth. Products like Break Free Collector are supposed to be good for 5 yrs.

Lubrication- people either over or under lube. DRENCH a long gun with oil, put in safe- oil drains down to the wrist of the stock, soaks into wood, softens wood, wood breaks from recoil. Lighten up, Francis!

Some lube needs are met with light grease- parts that slide (auto pistol slide, etc) Most autos are not meant to be shot dry. What weather? Extreme cold, extreme wind blown dust will change choice of lube.

One last thing- once saw a nice model 10 revolver that had the lockwork DESTROYED. Seems the party it was issued to decide to removed the sideplate and lube the lockwork- with KY Jelly. No, really. KY is, of course, a WATER based lubricant for people, not guns. Rusted the lockwork solid, beyong repair.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

crazycharlie2 Likes This 
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

Liked 757 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 238

The internals should be fine. Once a year wipe the outside down with an oily rag.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6258 Times on 3515 Posts
Likes Given: 5846

A good "Rule of Thumb!"

When you have half as much lube as you think you need, you probably have twice as much as you actually need.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigArmored
I have a gun or two that don't get as much action and attention as they used to.What I do with something I know I won't use for a while is after a good cleaning and my regular lube I'll give the entire pistol a light coat of Remmy oil.Probably not a necessity but since I started doing this my newer pistols have not picked up some of the issues my older ones had.Like surface rust and discoloration due to sitting to long.
Thanks good information

Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Two different matters here. For blued or parked firearms, in storage- now and again give them a wipe down with an lightly oiled cloth. Products like Break Free Collector are supposed to be good for 5 yrs.

Lubrication- people either over or under lube. DRENCH a long gun with oil, put in safe- oil drains down to the wrist of the stock, soaks into wood, softens wood, wood breaks from recoil. Lighten up, Francis!

Some lube needs are met with light grease- parts that slide (auto pistol slide, etc) Most autos are not meant to be shot dry. What weather? Extreme cold, extreme wind blown dust will change choice of lube.

One last thing- once saw a nice model 10 revolver that had the lockwork DESTROYED. Seems the party it was issued to decide to removed the sideplate and lube the lockwork- with KY Jelly. No, really. KY is, of course, a WATER based lubricant for people, not guns. Rusted the lockwork solid, beyong repair.

Good information ! If I keep a dehumidifier in my safe will that help a lot ?

Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

KY! That's a hoot!

Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1471

Rusty- will depend on where you live. Gulf Coast? Humidity control would help a lot. Colorado? Hmmm. Humidity today is 10%. Not so important.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.