Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Oil & lubing my weapon ?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/oil-lubing-my-weapon-82115/)

RustyGrill 01-22-2013 06:41 AM

Oil & lubing my weapon ??

If I don't fire my weapons often at all, should I constantly re-oil/lube ?
I keep them in a safe with a dehumidifier, but I don't want anything to happen to them ?
Also what is the best lube for handguns and shotguns ?

BeyondTheBox 01-22-2013 06:59 AM

How often is this inconsistency of shooting? I shoot maybe once a month or two, don't bother with lubing between. It doesn't hurt to lube it a little more every once in a while tho.

I'm not getting into what lube specifically, just anything designed for guns, some synthetic motor oil, lithium grease, etc... I like plain old Hoppies.

SigArmored 01-22-2013 09:40 AM

I have a gun or two that don't get as much action and attention as they used to.What I do with something I know I won't use for a while is after a good cleaning and my regular lube I'll give the entire pistol a light coat of Remmy oil.Probably not a necessity but since I started doing this my newer pistols have not picked up some of the issues my older ones had.Like surface rust and discoloration due to sitting to long.

c3shooter 01-22-2013 12:32 PM

Two different matters here. For blued or parked firearms, in storage- now and again give them a wipe down with an lightly oiled cloth. Products like Break Free Collector are supposed to be good for 5 yrs.

Lubrication- people either over or under lube. DRENCH a long gun with oil, put in safe- oil drains down to the wrist of the stock, soaks into wood, softens wood, wood breaks from recoil. Lighten up, Francis!

Some lube needs are met with light grease- parts that slide (auto pistol slide, etc) Most autos are not meant to be shot dry. What weather? Extreme cold, extreme wind blown dust will change choice of lube.

One last thing- once saw a nice model 10 revolver that had the lockwork DESTROYED. Seems the party it was issued to decide to removed the sideplate and lube the lockwork- with KY Jelly. No, really. KY is, of course, a WATER based lubricant for people, not guns. Rusted the lockwork solid, beyong repair.

hiwall 01-22-2013 01:44 PM

The internals should be fine. Once a year wipe the outside down with an oily rag.

locutus 01-22-2013 10:18 PM

A good "Rule of Thumb!"

When you have half as much lube as you think you need, you probably have twice as much as you actually need.

RustyGrill 01-23-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SigArmored
I have a gun or two that don't get as much action and attention as they used to.What I do with something I know I won't use for a while is after a good cleaning and my regular lube I'll give the entire pistol a light coat of Remmy oil.Probably not a necessity but since I started doing this my newer pistols have not picked up some of the issues my older ones had.Like surface rust and discoloration due to sitting to long.

Thanks good information

RustyGrill 01-23-2013 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
Two different matters here. For blued or parked firearms, in storage- now and again give them a wipe down with an lightly oiled cloth. Products like Break Free Collector are supposed to be good for 5 yrs.

Lubrication- people either over or under lube. DRENCH a long gun with oil, put in safe- oil drains down to the wrist of the stock, soaks into wood, softens wood, wood breaks from recoil. Lighten up, Francis!

Some lube needs are met with light grease- parts that slide (auto pistol slide, etc) Most autos are not meant to be shot dry. What weather? Extreme cold, extreme wind blown dust will change choice of lube.

One last thing- once saw a nice model 10 revolver that had the lockwork DESTROYED. Seems the party it was issued to decide to removed the sideplate and lube the lockwork- with KY Jelly. No, really. KY is, of course, a WATER based lubricant for people, not guns. Rusted the lockwork solid, beyong repair.

Good information ! If I keep a dehumidifier in my safe will that help a lot ?

crazycharlie2 01-23-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1105012)

KY! That's a hoot!:eek:

c3shooter 01-23-2013 12:56 PM

Rusty- will depend on where you live. Gulf Coast? Humidity control would help a lot. Colorado? Hmmm. Humidity today is 10%. Not so important.