An off day at the range.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > An off day at the range.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default An off day at the range.

I got to go out and shoot today. For the most part, when I go out to shoot, I go to my grandparent’s property. At this time, they have a pit that I use for a range until the oil company fills it in. The spot that I tend to shoot across puts my targets about 35 yards out. It was also a bit windy with a crosswind right to left. That being said, I tend to shoot about the same conditions. For some reason, I was just having an off day. I spent most of the day low in the dirt, but was all around the targets. I tried to relax, reset my platform many times, slowed down and worked on my breathing, and even changed pistols, as the point of the trip out today was to test my latest Beretta 92FS. In the end, I think that I was just having a bad day. Not real bad, as most of the shots were close to my 12x12 targets, just not what I have come to expect. Towards the end of the day, we changed up the distance, to about 8-9 yards on large cups from McDonalds.

The beretta did good, but I was still off. Guess I can’t give a range report on it today.

What I want to know is, what else should I have done to fix this bad day at the range. Oh and a bad day at the range with nobody getting hurt is way better than a good day at work.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #2

Liked 200 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 109

35 yds is pretty far for a handgun.

Most people practice at 10 yds if they are novice, or 25 yards if they are expert.

Here are my shots, at 25 yards, benched on the left and offhand on the right, for comparison.

These are factory loads, so vertical variance is likely due to load variance for the benched shots. I normally disregard the vertical difference of any one shot that looks out of line from the others. With hand loads you can eliminate this problem.

Horizontal variance is due to the natural cone of fire, together with body movement, heartbeat, trigger squeeze.

The target on top is my 45ACP.

The one on the bottom is my 44 rem mag.

The barrel length of the 44 is twice that of the 45.

So the 44 is more accurate.

My 44 is a hunting gun, with adjustable iron sights, which I also use for defense in the woodlands and mountains, against black bears or mountain lions.

The 45 is a home defense gun. The sights on it are fixed iron sights. I have tested them with a laser boresighter and they are right-on.

These pie plates are 8 inches in diameter. I use them for archery, since they are easy to see and about the same size is the vital zone of deer. So they are convenient for me to use for shooting also.

cz-97b-.45-acp-25-yds.jpg   s-w-.44-mag-25-yds.jpg  

Last edited by Shoobee; 05-20-2012 at 02:58 AM.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #3

Not shooting at that distance for any other reason than it's the best spot on the property at this time. Other people from the patch can tell you that an open pit makes for a good back stop, but you do not go in. As this pit is about 100 feet, once I set up, I am about 35 yards out. I guess it's a good place to work on my accuracy. If I can get better at 35 yards, then 7-10 yards should fall right in. Any how, the point was, none of the tricks that I have been shown, worked to calm my shooting down, so I was hoping someone had some other ideas. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2969 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Uh, you don't have an ex-spouse?

Not knowing how many rounds you shoot, I suggest that you load only 5 at a time.
You are forced to reload earlier, giving you a chance to evaluate your targets.

Try to "call your shots". Put a target on the bench next to you and for every shot, mark on the target where you "feel" the shot went. Use a number to keep track. After 5 rounds, compare the two.(The idea being that again you take a small break).

Another thing to try is to get a metal target. If you hit, it dings. If you miss, you see dirt fly.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Very good ideas dan i like that alot. When i first started shooting sass the way I was told to calm myself was each round i loaded visualize which target it was for. For me it had a calming effect and basically i had already shot the stage before i got up to the line. I'm definetly goi g to try the clling the shot on another plate, one can never be to relaxed about trying to be accurate. I do have some steel on a plate rack i made, if my mind isnt in being i just start making them go ding. Usually i find after a few rounds i look and all my shots r within 2 inches max of center target. Thats when i stop and go back to working on my accuracy.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Not saying its true for everyone but........

Watch your diet.Sometimes folks process certain foods in a way that ain't conducive with precision shooting.Which is one reason to use scoring systems.It puts an actual number on the table,so to speak.I think the more you shoot,the less effect sugar and other stuff shows up.....but thats just an opinion?

I used to shoot "spots" with archery equip.You could see a noticable drop/gain in the scores depending on food intake.Good luck.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheshop View Post
Not saying its true for everyone but........

Watch your diet.Sometimes folks process certain foods in a way that ain't conducive with precision shooting.Which is one reason to use scoring systems.It puts an actual number on the table,so to speak.I think the more you shoot,the less effect sugar and other stuff shows up.....but thats just an opinion?

I used to shoot "spots" with archery equip.You could see a noticable drop/gain in the scores depending on food intake.Good luck.
Hadn't thought about diet. Its easy to see things like alcohol, but hadn't thought about food. I have been making some changes to my diet the last few months, and may have to look at this.