Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > An odd question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default An odd question

I was cruising one of my GA gun trader forums this morning and saw a listing from a guy in NC selling a revolver cheap. A couple of replies are posted saying "if you were in GA, I'd be all over this". The guy then posts that he visits Atlanta every weekend. I post that an FFL is required to legally transfer this gun to a GA resident on his visits to Atlanta.

He comes back and says - I'm a GA resident as I own property in both states. This brings up an interesting question, for the purposes of purchasing a handgun - can you be a resident of multiple states?

I currently own property in GA and SC so I'm interested in the answer to this one. I could get a SC carry permit (you have to own property if you don't have a SC DL) - would this prove my residency?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2010, 12:17 PM   #2

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I was cruising one of my GA gun trader forums this morning and saw a listing from a guy in NC selling a revolver cheap. A couple of replies are posted saying "if you were in GA, I'd be all over this". The guy then posts that he visits Atlanta every weekend. I post that an FFL is required to legally transfer this gun to a GA resident on his visits to Atlanta.

He comes back and says - I'm a GA resident as I own property in both states. This brings up an interesting question, for the purposes of purchasing a handgun - can you be a resident of multiple states?

I currently own property in GA and SC so I'm interested in the answer to this one. I could get a SC carry permit (you have to own property if you don't have a SC DL) - would this prove my residency?
I think property ownership and legal residence is apples and oranges. I also think you know that.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I think property ownership and legal residence is apples and oranges. I also think you know that.
That's my first take on it as well but having a resident carry permit (SC does not allow non-resident permits) throws in a new wrinkle...

Old 03-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #4

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Taken from a website:

You cannot be a resident of two states. If you maintain two different residences in two different states, then the one that you have your drivers license and voter registration from, is the one you reside in. If you only have one residence, then that is your state of residence.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #5

Thanks for the info. Looks like the fella on the other forum could have problems if he heads to Atlanta and sells the gun...