OCD Gun cleaners - Unite !!! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > OCD Gun cleaners - Unite !!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 02:48 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1097 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post
What do you use to take care of your leather slings? I've got a beautiful handmade sling from a close friend, and I want to keep it that way. If I remember I'll post a pic of it tomorrow.
I use a formulation of Pecard's leather dressing. It's made for Turner Saddlery, so you can only buy it from Turner Saddlery. That said, Pecard's has a range of leather care products.

The product I have kinda looks like Vaseline but it's much thicker and, unlike Vaseline, it doesn't smell like much of anything. I suspect it's some combination of bee's wax, something similar to Vaseline, and some sort of additive to clean the leather.

It takes time because I rub it into the leather in light coats. I use a cotton cloth, either an old T-shirt or a patch. The tub says it's for smooth grain leathers. You might want to check with Pecard's if you are applying it to something that's been carved or made from an exotic animal hide.

If I haven't dressed a sling in awhile, I can feel the difference in how pliable the leather is. That' how I determine when it's time for another dressing.

Anyhow, at $50-$70 a pop for the slings, I'm not about to ruin them by not taking care of them.