OCD Gun cleaners - Unite !!! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > OCD Gun cleaners - Unite !!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 01:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Not to rain on parades or anything, and to each their own for sure, but I've found that my guns function just fine with all sorts of gunky lint build up, months of skin flakes, pocket lint, hair and whatever else might crawl into a gun from just being under a pillow or in a pocket. I take them out to shoot without cleaning at all and bang, just like last time, on the dot and in the spot.

Then again, previously I only collected SA hammer guns. I feel a LOT less confident with striker fire.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:07 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2152 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 801

I clean pocket pistols a lot. My full size guns are running dry before I clean them. Long guns get cleaned every 6 months if they need it or not.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 06-26-2014, 02:10 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Not to rain on parades or anything, and to each their own for sure, but I've found that my guns function just fine with all sorts of gunky lint build up, months of skin flakes, pocket lint, hair and whatever else might crawl into a gun from just being under a pillow or in a pocket. I take them out to shoot without cleaning at all and bang, just like last time, on the dot and in the spot.

Then again, previously I only collected SA hammer guns. I feel a LOT less confident with striker fire.
eeeewwww nasty!
Old 06-26-2014, 02:52 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 582 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default Now worries guys

I know some people just run them and no ill effects...My thread was about people like me that just LOVE to clean them..even if they are not dirty...LOL

I enjoy the takedown, stripping, cleaning and lubing...as one poster said, its cathartic...

"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" — Mark Twain

Old 06-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #15
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

The guns you "see" me cleaning the most are the Carry Guns, And the comp. 22's,....other stuff gets cleaned in rotational order,...even if I'm only shooting my Carry Guns 1 or2X per month, they are going to be cleaned 2 to 4X a month. I never wanna hear "Click " except when I'm practicing dry,....

The "Bulldogge" likes to sit and watch, if I'm cleaning, or doing Radio. Many times he is next to me while recording the Podcast, and I have to"keep a strait face" when he does something funny or is flatulant...one day I'm going freak Vikingdad and TekGreg out by putting him in my office chair with headphones on...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talkh

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Franklin1995 Likes This 
Old 06-27-2014, 01:24 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1342 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 1443

I don`t have ADHD or OCD. But that`s what I do everyday, unless I am out shooting !...............

When all else fails.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:51 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1230 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 530

I clean my guns after I've shot them, put them back in the safe, and I inspect them once a month to see if they need oiling if it's not something I shoot regularly.

Apart from that, I don't worry about it too much.

I've found that my leather slings are actually what takes the most time to care for with Houston's heat and humidity. It takes an hour to clean and condition a M1907 the way I do it.

I'm sure nylon would solve those problems, but putting plastic on a M1903, M1, or even M14 just feels wrong.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:07 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 446 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
I clean my guns after I've shot them, put them back in the safe, and I inspect them once a month to see if they need oiling if it's not something I shoot regularly.

Apart from that, I don't worry about it too much.

I've found that my leather slings are actually what takes the most time to care for with Houston's heat and humidity. It takes an hour to clean and condition a M1907 the way I do it.

I'm sure nylon would solve those problems, but putting plastic on a M1903, M1, or even M14 just feels wrong.
What do you use to take care of your leather slings? I've got a beautiful handmade sling from a close friend, and I want to keep it that way. If I remember I'll post a pic of it tomorrow.

Does "Shall not be infringed" not mean anything to you?!

Old 06-27-2014, 02:09 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 446 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post

A good gun should be able to shoot in all of the conditions that you listed. That being said, just because it CAN shoot like that doesn't mean that it's the best way to keep them

Does "Shall not be infringed" not mean anything to you?!

Old 06-27-2014, 02:12 AM   #20

Liked 252 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 321

just use a litte leather conditoner once a year just to put some moisture in the leather and to keep it supple.

"I dont believe in repeat offenders I believe in DEAD offenders!" Ted Nugent.
No Matter Where Ya go There Ya Are

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Last edited by St8LineGunsmith; 06-27-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Franklin1995 Likes This