OCD Gun cleaners - Unite !!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > OCD Gun cleaners - Unite !!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 12:09 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 556 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Default OCD Gun cleaners - Unite !!!

Got your attention? Well in case you have ADHD too. let me say I am sort of OCD when it comes to gun cleaning. I am not looking to start a thread of "Should you clean/Should you not clean". I have been through at least a 1/2 dozen on other sites.

I am just curious if there are others, like me (though I am one of a kind..lol) that truly enjoy detail gun cleaning. I tend to clean after every range session (2 times per week) and I have to sit on my hands to not clean until two have gone by.

I put at least 150 rounds of ammo through each at a session and I know I could put a heck of a lot more before cleaning...But I enjoy it. sort of like taking your classic car out...and you want it detailed before the next time.

Who else?

"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" — Mark Twain

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 435 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 889

I clean mine EVERY time after I shoot. I also clean it once a month even if I haven't been shooting. And I clean it when I get bored, or when I just get that urge to clean it. It's something that helps relieve stress for me.

Your gun can never be clean enough!

Does "Shall not be infringed" not mean anything to you?!

Defiant_one Likes This 
Old 06-23-2014, 12:13 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default You must be

Related...LOL..and summarized how I feel about it...it is truly half of my hobby. The other half gets the guns dirty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post
I clean mine EVERY time after I shoot. I also clean it once a month even if I haven't been shooting. And I clean it when I get bored, or when I just get that urge to clean it. It's something that helps relieve stress for me.

Your gun can never be clean enough!

"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" — Mark Twain

People Like This 
Old 06-23-2014, 12:22 AM   #4

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I love cleaning my guns and I do it after every outing. It allows me to understand how it works and it also is a good time to see what parts need replacing and how the parts are wearing.

Join The NRA And Protect Our Rights

Old 06-23-2014, 01:01 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 435 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 889

Another good reason to clean your guns often is so that they'll always go boom. There's only one thing louder than a gunshot in a emergency situation... the click of a malfunctioning weapon.

Does "Shall not be infringed" not mean anything to you?!

JayCody Likes This 
Old 06-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3288 Times on 2236 Posts
Likes Given: 708

The Safe Queens once a month. The Special stuff 2X per month. The carry guns and our Rimfire completion guns every week, and before & after every shoot session...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 06-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #7

Liked 3023 Times on 1807 Posts
Likes Given: 2044

my name is hawkguy, and i am an OCD gun cleaner....

i dunno, i wish i could say i enjoy being OCD about my guns, but i don't enjoy it. it is more of a curse....or a "have to" for me....cleaning guns at this point in my life

my wife also notices the attention to detail i spend w/my guns and wonders why my clothes rarely make it in the hamper?

i'm not rich...when i spend $ on a gun, it represents a significant amount for me, and an investment of sorts. i just can't stand leaving them dirty and neglected, when i think of how hard i worked to buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant_one View Post
Got your attention? Well in case you have ADHD too. let me say I am sort of OCD when it comes to gun cleaning. I am not looking to start a thread of "Should you clean/Should you not clean". I have been through at least a 1/2 dozen on other sites.

I am just curious if there are others, like me (though I am one of a kind..lol) that truly enjoy detail gun cleaning. I tend to clean after every range session (2 times per week) and I have to sit on my hands to not clean until two have gone by.

I put at least 150 rounds of ammo through each at a session and I know I could put a heck of a lot more before cleaning...But I enjoy it. sort of like taking your classic car out...and you want it detailed before the next time.

Who else?
Old 06-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #8

Liked 202 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 280

all my BP guns front stuffers and cartridge guns get a good cleaning after I shoot them
my guns that use modern smokeless rounds get at least a field stripping and a good wipe down after shooting them.
I always clean the bore after shooting any of my guns.

"I dont believe in repeat offenders I believe in DEAD offenders!" Ted Nugent.
No Matter Where Ya go There Ya Are

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Pasquanel Likes This 
Old 06-25-2014, 01:37 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default I am so glad

I am not alone...lol...

This weekend, all got detailed to the max as I am taking my insurance agent shooting this weekend (his first time) so want them to be cool looking clean shooting toys...LOL

Old 06-25-2014, 02:22 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

all mine get cleaned after shooting. periodically they are cleaned and inspected whether they have been shot or not.

i am not really OCD or anal about cleaning, just that i know it was part of properly caring for something that i have money invested in. more so for inspection and maintanance of something i may need to rely upon for my safety.

i can't see spending good money on good firearms and not taking care of them. i was taught by my father at an early age to take care of things and they would take care of me. i have made good money over the years, repairing all different items that were mistreated, neglected and poorly maintained.