Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Obsolete calibers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Obsolete calibers

Does anyone think that any of our favorite calibers will become obsolete due to newly invented calibers or any other future firearms changes?

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #2

Mmm... 45 GAP? Not that it's a favorite.
.357 Sig, it's hanging on, but it has a small nitch.
Or maybe 9x25 dillion? I like shooting it, but I think it's on it's way out. Like the 40 super. But those never really never made it past the wildcat phase.

Springfield 1911 black loaded target. 460 Rowland.
S&W M&P9 pro 5in.
RSO.
To be voluntarily disarmed is to rely on the honor of the dishonorable.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 01-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #3

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman
Mmm... 45 GAP? Not that it's a favorite.
.357 Sig, it's hanging on, but it has a small nitch.
Or maybe 9x25 dillion? I like shooting it, but I think it's on it's way out. Like the 40 super. But those never really never made it past the wildcat phase.
The .45gap i could care less about as ive never seen its purpose, but the .357sig is "one" of my favorites.i would hate to see it fade away

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't see the 480 ruger very often.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #5

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I think the 357 sig is here to stay.

The big mainstays I believe will stay also. The military calibers of the past 100 years, european and American. Is have to say the .40 probably isn't going anywhere, not are any of the rounds fathered by the .30-06 likely to either.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #6

Liked 132 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Obsolete? Absolutely.

Just like the single-action Colt .45 of the Old West is now an obsolete gun even for cowboys, these pieces of iron and wood go the way of all the Earth as well.

For a quick-drawing sheriff, the S&W .357 magnum was once the weapon of choice. Today you might get the first shot off with one of them, but gangs have made that gun essentially obsolete in law enforcement, and now everyone needs and wants a high capacity semi-auto sidearm instead.

Same with the FBI. They used to swear by the .357 which now however is a relic of past history.

That's the story on the handgun side, with 2 really good examples. Only a collector would own either one of those two now. And collecting guns is like collecting art -- it might make you some money and it is fun but it is a big waste of time and space too.

On the rifle side, the two best examples of obsolete guns are the AR-15 and the .30-30.

The .30-30 was an Indian Wars assault rifle, in its day. Now, romantics use it for deer hunting. They pretend they are cowbows or cavalry soldiers, and the deer are now the Indians. Only difference is deer tastes good.

The AR-15 was an early abortion to try to give infantry a lighter CQB weapon and enable them to carry more ammo. It was always inferior to the Kalashnikov and always will be. But a lucrative government contract got them installed with the U.S. Army and the U.S. Marine Corps, over the objections of soldiers and marines. The modern M-4 is vastly superior to the AR-15, with all its bells and whistles and battle scopes and starlight scopes, now. The M-4 is a formidable CQB weapon. And the AR-15 is still an abortion.

But boys and young men still buy the AR-15 to this day. The 5.56 mm round is still an idea varminting round, where the varmits are enemy soldiers and terrorist rags. But the AR-15 itself is obsolete.

There you go, 4 examples of reality, as far as weapons go.

Bullet calibre is very similar as well. Thus the .45 for the revolver, the .30-30 round, the .357, and a host of others have fallen by the way-side. The .38 special, the .44 special, these loads are all fairly useless and obsolete today, having been superseded by technology and modern times.

Last edited by Shoobee; 01-23-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #7

Liked 132 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My 2 favorite calibres in handguns are the .44 mag load and the .45 ACP. These calibre's have been around for over 100 years. But their application has changed. Since the 1950s the .44 mag has been the outdoors gun of choice for all applications. The .454 Casull is trying to overtake it, but not yet.

The .45 ACP will still knock down anyone man-sized or smaller no matter what they have been smoking or doping. And the Browning double-action for it has yet to be topped by anyone.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Shoobe. I'll excuse the knocks on the AR-15 cause thats another thread. It is a good point about the .223 and 5.56 being kept alive by government contract though. The .410 was all but doomed until the Taurus judge came along and created a new platform for it. The .357 sig was in the same camp 10 years ago, until the manufactures gave us more to shoot it out of. Right now I see the .38 super headed down hill just because of the limited number of platforms t support it.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
Obsolete? Absolutely.

Just like the single-action Colt .45 of the Old West is now an obsolete gun even for cowboys, these pieces of iron and wood go the way of all the Earth as well.

For a quick-drawing sheriff, the S&W .357 magnum was once the weapon of choice. Today you might get the first shot off with one of them, but gangs have made that gun essentially obsolete in law enforcement, and now everyone needs and wants a high capacity semi-auto sidearm instead.

Same with the FBI. They used to swear by the .357 which now however is a relic of past history.

That's the story on the handgun side, with 2 really good examples. Only a collector would own either one of those two now. And collecting guns is like collecting art -- it might make you some money and it is fun but it is a big waste of time and space too.

On the rifle side, the two best examples of obsolete guns are the AR-15 and the .30-30.

The .30-30 was an Indian Wars assault rifle, in its day. Now, romantics use it for deer hunting. They pretend they are cowbows or cavalry soldiers, and the deer are now the Indians. Only difference is deer tastes good.

The AR-15 was an early abortion to try to give infantry a lighter CQB weapon and enable them to carry more ammo. It was always inferior to the Kalashnikov and always will be. But a lucrative government contract got them installed with the U.S. Army and the U.S. Marine Corps, over the objections of soldiers and marines. The modern M-4 is vastly superior to the AR-15, with all its bells and whistles and battle scopes and starlight scopes, now. The M-4 is a formidable CQB weapon. And the AR-15 is still an abortion.

But boys and young men still buy the AR-15 to this day. The 5.56 mm round is still an idea varminting round, where the varmits are enemy soldiers and terrorist rags. But the AR-15 itself is obsolete.

There you go, 4 examples of reality, as far as weapons go.

Bullet calibre is very similar as well. Thus the .45 for the revolver, the .30-30 round, the .357, and a host of others have fallen by the way-side. The .38 special, the .44 special, these loads are all fairly useless and obsolete today, having been superseded by technology and modern times.
I have to disagree on much of this. The .45 LC is still a decent round that many swear by, and is still mass produced.
Same goes for the .38 special and the .357 magnum. Many people (including myself when I turn 21) still use these calibers for self defense.
The 30-30 is a classic round like the 30-06, and people will still keep using it for many decades. It's a great deer round, and one of the best rounds for a lever action rifle.
I can see these rounds still being used many decades from now, and guns still being chambered for them for decades too. They may not be the latest thing, but they are all still great, proven rounds.
.44 special on the other hand probably will become obsolete to everyone but reloaders. It was never that popular of a round anyways.
I don't get where you are coming from on the AR-15. It is a great rifle that is more accurate then an AK, but the AK does have it beat in a few other things.
Some rounds that I think could become would be lesser used rounds for the shotgun like 14ga, 24 ga, and 28ga.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just because a caliber is not used by law enforcement anymore it is not obsolete. The 357 mag and 38 spcl are still pretty common.

The 30/30 is still a popular hunting round nice starter caliber.

45 lc is experiencing a rebirth due to weapons like the Taurus Judge. Cowboy action shooting is pretty popular as well.

The Colt SAA is one of the finest weapons ever made.