Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Not your average home defense question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 04:36 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

While I still think its a bad idea, I think some people are off track a little bit from the original post.

The OP never once mentioned anything about "pursuing a criminal" outside of his home.

My impression from reading the post was, stashing firearms somewhere outside the home, in case his home is overrun and he needs to evacuate quickly, and for whatever reason can't get to one of his primary firearms from within his home quick enough. In this situation, a firearm would still be necessary. Call it a tactical retreat. Maybe a SHTF/riot situation? I don't know. That was my interpretation.

Here is what the OP said in his original post in regards to going outside:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88
What if a situation gets so bad you have to leave your house?
Do you guys have a weapon OUTSIDE of your house?
Garage? Car? Locked box in the backyard? Etc.
I still think its a not great idea. But I think we should be fair to him, or ask for clarification on his intent/thought process.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 842 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
While I still think its a bad idea, I think some people are off track a little bit from the original post.

The OP never once mentioned anything about "pursuing a criminal" outside of his home.

My impression from reading the post was, stashing firearms somewhere outside the home, in case his home is overrun and he needs to evacuate quickly, and for whatever reason can't get to one of his primary firearms from within his home quick enough. In this situation, a firearm would still be necessary. Call it a tactical retreat. Maybe a SHTF/riot situation? I don't know. That was my interpretation.

Here is what the OP said in his original post in regards to going outside:

I still think its a not great idea. But I think we should be fair to him, or ask for clarification on his intent/thought process.
If someone or a group of people can force you out of your home, are you going to have time to stop and grab a gun buried in the yard or locked in a storage shed after running from your own home?

If the criminal(s) didn't know you were there then I can see the plausibility in that, but if they don't know you're there then why would you leave the place you know best?

The only SHTF situation I can think of where you'd need to leave immediately, but have the opportunity to grab a gun would be if your house was on fire or flooding. That's plausible. If a hurricane or fire overtook my home, I'd still want to be armed to protect my family.

Carry your pistol with you and you won't have to worry about whether or not you can get to another one. Heck, if you're that worried about it, carry two pistols with you, a knife, and a flashlight.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #33

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I wouldn't stash a gun outside. But I see scenarios where you may not be able to stay in your house. Let's say there is a riot and multiple houses in your neighborhood are burning, including yours. I have my ARs with loaded magazines in gun cases ready to be carried out at a moments notice. Wife and I never let our carry guns be more than a few feet from us. And the other handguns are right next to our ammo stash. Wife and I could carry all the guns and all the ammo out in one trip to the car.

In case anyone is wondering, I know some of you have HUGE ammo stashes but we don't. Currently we have a little over 6000 rounds between 9mm, .223 and 22lr. Plus several boxes of 12 gauge. I can haul all of that ammo to the car or truck in one trip.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:13 AM   #34

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512

If someone or a group of people can force you out of your home, are you going to have time to stop and grab a gun buried in the yard or locked in a storage shed after running from your own home?

If the criminal(s) didn't know you were there then I can see the plausibility in that, but if they don't know you're there then why would you leave the place you know best?

The only SHTF situation I can think of where you'd need to leave immediately, but have the opportunity to grab a gun would be if your house was on fire or flooding. That's plausible. If a hurricane or fire overtook my home, I'd still want to be armed to protect my family.

Carry your pistol with you and you won't have to worry about whether or not you can get to another one. Heck, if you're that worried about it, carry two pistols with you, a knife, and a flashlight.
It's to necessarily about being in my house and being forced to leave.
What if I'm not carrying and I come home, but before I enter I can visibly see my home has been broken into?
Having a gun outside of the home (in a locked shed maybe) would allow me to walk into my home (armed) and feel safe.
Or what if it was a situation where I was forced to leave my house. Of course I would be ale to grab my gun (because its right next to my bed), but what about the rest of my family? Having firearms outside of the house would allow them to be armed as well.
I know this may sound crazy to some of you, and of course ANY situation where I would NEED a gun to defend my life is pretty improbable, but like I said this is sort of a hobby for me and I enjoy feeling safe.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:34 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 842 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
It's to necessarily about being in my house and being forced to leave.
What if I'm not carrying and I come home, but before I enter I can visibly see my home has been broken into?
Having a gun outside of the home (in a locked shed maybe) would allow me to walk into my home (armed) and feel safe.
Or what if it was a situation where I was forced to leave my house. Of course I would be ale to grab my gun (because its right next to my bed), but what about the rest of my family? Having firearms outside of the house would allow them to be armed as well.
I know this may sound crazy to some of you, and of course ANY situation where I would NEED a gun to defend my life is pretty improbable, but like I said this is sort of a hobby for me and I enjoy feeling safe.
If you come home and notice that your house has been broken into, then unless your wife or girlfriend or children are at home, promptly leave the area and call the police. If you are unarmed and surprised or ambushed while you attempt to retrieve a firearm, then not only are you not helping your family, but you may provide the criminal(s) with more tools that they can use to hurt other people with. They can call up a SWAT team to clear the building, if need be. It's what we pay them to do.

If you believe having a firearm makes you "safe", then I would say that you need to re-evaluate what it is that a firearm actually is and what it can and can not do for you. "Safety" is an imaginary concept, but apparently some people believe that it is real. This is a logically incorrect belief. You are not now, have never been, and will never be "safe" or "unsafe".

Consider the following:

1. Paying attention to the world around you is the most beneficial, cheapest, and easiest to implement solution to preventing situations or people from adversely affecting the rest of your life. It isn't cool, sexy, or macho, but paying attention to the world around me has saved my life more times than any other skill or tool I have.

2. Although a gun is a useful tool and there are situations where not having that tool can make continuing life unaffected by your present situation very difficult, it is but one tool in what should be a belt full of tools.

3. If you have not already done so, spend some time learning about unarmed self-defense, using improvised weapons, ambushes, tactics, and first aid. All of those tools are just as important as firearms training and part of any real comprehensive self-defense plan. Do not rely on any one tool, technique, or skill for your continued survival.

Don't take my word for it, go out and ask some people with some training what they think about and what they would do as it pertains to these situations.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #36

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts

If I spent any real time considering home security, I think a solid bedroom door with well built frame and possibly a dead bolt or other significant lock would be on my mind. Before swinging into action popping shots I would want to know there was something between me and the bad guy slowing him down or stopping him before he can do me any harm. If someone wakes you up in the middle of the night, you will not be at your very most alert. Your eyes and senses will need some amount of time to adjust. If a would be assailant has to force their way into your bedroom, you may be better served by a solid barrier and one or two weapons in that room than to have options spread all over the house. I don't stash guns in my house out of fear that I would be giving someone the tools to end my life rather than giving myself the means to defend it. That said, everyone has their own thoughts on the subject and I can respect the fact you guys are putting so much thought into how you protect yourselves and your families...