Not your average home defense question... - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Not your average home defense question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
I have a serious question about home defense..
Hear me out first..
I have a home defense system set up at home. It involves a 12 gauge AND a pistol beside my bed as well as various pistols hidden in various rooms throughout the house just in case (the pistols are hidden but easily accessible...they are also loaded with an extra mag. I don't have children so I feel comfortable doing this)
Of course I also have rifles for SHTF situations.
And I have various other methods of defense such as a dog, home alarm system, good knowledge of the layout of my house, etc.
I feel that my HD strategy is pretty darn good. Some of you may think it's over board but it's just a hobby for me.

So to my question...
What if a situation gets so bad you have to leave your house?
Do you guys have a weapon OUTSIDE of your house?
Garage? Car? Locked box in the backyard? Etc.
I don't know if this is a good idea or not...
I've heard of people burying firearms but I was thinking of something that could be easily accessible..

So I guess my question is, do you guys keep a firearm outside of your house?
If so, where?
And if so, what type of place do you live? City? Suburb? Country? Boondocks?

Thanks
If what you say is true you should be able to arm yourself as you are exiting your house.
The logistics of an exterior 'hidden gun' would mean you would not have immediate access to it as you would need to 'stored' it in a container of some type and have it hidden from view, thus it would not be easy to get to in a hurry.
So to answer your question, short of a true cache, I would not consider it.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 08-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #22

Liked 3028 Times on 1809 Posts
Likes Given: 2051

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Carry your CC about the house.

ONE gun loaded in the house,

under my thumb, works, for me.

IF and when I go outside, it goes with me.

JMHO.
yes. for the question the OP is asking, this is the BEST solution imo.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Lol not sure if I've ever seen "pretty" and "Glock" used in the same sentence.
sure!!! all the time!

just the other day at the gun store i said "man, that glock is pretty ugly!"

Old 08-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
That's one of those oxymoron statements
not always....

example: "the glock is NOT pretty..."

heh...i'll stop now....i like glocks, they are great guns.

but they did fall off the gun ugly tree and hit every dang brach on the way down....
Old 08-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #25

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

not always....

example: "the glock is NOT pretty..."

heh...i'll stop now....i like glocks, they are great guns.

but they did fall off the gun ugly tree and hit every dang brach on the way down....
They are ugly . But they go bang when and as often as needed!! They shoot straight as long as the aim is not crooked!! And I will put them up against anything for there intended use!! I will shut up about my ugly guns!! Wrong thread-
Old 08-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #26

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

have you really given serious thought to home defence? in means in the home. which means that if someone breaks into your home at 2am, and you are not required to retreat and are allowed to use deadly force in defence of yourself and loved ones, that means inside the home. pursueing a person outside the home is bad for too many reasons. number one, if you shot at them within the home and missed them or only wounded them and they retreat, and you pursue them and then shoot them, this is no longer SD but murder or manslaughter. number two, that if you took to arms, you should have also have been on the phone to 911 getting police on the way. if you are outside trying to pursue the BG and the police roll up, you have a gun, they don't know you're not the BG! number three, they might have partners in a vehicle outside and now you may end up outnumbered.

so IMO, keep yourself withing the home where you have the better chance of safety and tactical advantage. so no, keeping firearms stashed outside is a ery poor idea for too many reasons.
So if your in the detached garage, you can't have a gun stashed?

There is nothing wrong with having a gun stashed in the garage. I'm not working on a vehicle with a holster on.

The point is to have a gun accessible if needed, no chasing someone outside.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
They are ugly . But they go bang when and as often as needed!! They shoot straight as long as the aim is not crooked!! And I will put them up against anything for there intended use!! I will shut up about my ugly guns!! Wrong thread-
i'm just messing with you bro...they are very simple and cleanly designed. not my aesthetic preference, but i honestly would NOT call them ugly.

i was just taking an opportunity to bust your chops a bit...thanks!

Old 08-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #28

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:

that is not the scenario the OP was talking about. when i am out in my barn or garage working on something, i have a pistol available, but i don't stash one there. when i'm finished, it goes back into the house with me.

and chasing a BG down is still bad for many reasons, pretty much those i stated before.
Actually, that is what I'm talking about...I talked about having a firearm in a garage..but it could be a shed, bunker, etc.
My question was simply, do y'all have a gun outside the confines of your home (the building you sleep in)? If so, where? And what type of community do you live in?

I have a "Tough Shed", an old run down barn ad a detached garage. I don't know how I feel about storing weapons in there since they could get stolen and it may take days or weeks for me to notice sometimes. Where as if they were in my house I'd be aware of it much sooner.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:23 AM   #29

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:

maybe you need to reread your own first post in this thread. because that is not what i gathered from your original question.

being outside the house in the yard or a shed or garage and having one available is much different than having one stashed. that was what myself and others seem to have gotten from your original question. but if it suits your needs and you are comfortable with the idea, then by all means go for it.
I think if its behind lock and key it would be fine, wherever you choose to keep a gun!! However be aware of dampness causing premature rusting! I carry a gun 24/7 outside my home!! Very rarely do I personally feel the need to take my gun off my person! Sometimes I have to move the holster around, or sometimes I will pocket holster a smaller gun!! But I'm a carry freak!! So generally I find a way to carry, this avoids the need to stash guns outside my castle-
Old 08-07-2013, 04:24 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1168 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 500

You are free to do as you please on your own property, within the confines of applicable laws, but I think any gun that is not on your person and ready to use can not and should not ever be counted on to be where you need it when you need it.

It is possible, but highly improbable that a stashed gun would be available if, for some reason, the gun you were carrying was not immediately available to you. In the overwhelming majority of the situations where you would need immediate access to a gun, but didn't have one on your person and ready to use, you would simply be SOL.

As others have said, for a variety of very good reasons, leaving your home to pursue or engage criminals is not a prudent decision. Any firearm that is not under your immediate control should be locked in a safe so that it can not be used against you or someone else.

For that simple reason, I generally don't leave firearms loaded and unattended.

If you have an alarm system, dog, and a long gun in your house, then leaving your house in the dead of night to pursue or engage an armed criminal, no matter how well intentioned, may very well lead to your death, either at the hands of a criminal intent on hurting you or arriving police officers who don't know you from Adam.