Not your average home defense question... - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Not your average home defense question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Seems like imaginations are running wildly in this thread!! Mans home is a mans castle and likely the be the safest place you will ever be in!! I have a gun on me or within a few feet of me 24/7?? I do believe in hiding a gun or two within the house!! Gun safes are the biggest clue that there may be guns around, perhaps in the gun safe. Sounds elementary but storing all guns in one basket(safe) is a bad practice!! A good thief makes a practice of cracking or stealing safes even the ones we think are bullet proof!! I keep 2 or 3 guns in my safe to hopefully give the illusion "found them all".. Meanwhile I have at least two throughout the house in crazy off the wall places, that I periodically change!! Plus the one that stays on me or near me 24/7!!
Outside of a house fire, I can not imagine ever feeling safer outside my home!! And I can't see any reason to keep or store guns outside in the elements!! Mans home is a mans castle!! You are the kIng/queen!! Prep it for a defense friendly situations!! Try to plan for the worst and hope for the best!! Lock your doors and keep your weapons close to you at all times! But safely away from little ones!!

A garage is one thing...But the OP brought up the premise of placing guns outside the home. Eve touched on burring them outside. I personally don't care how one stores guns in the home. It's the outside I found a little too much. I don't even have a safe in my house. I do have locking gun storage areas that most my guns are in. One being a piece of furniture that does not look like anything guns would be in.No kids here so I have no problem leaving a couple (few) out for easy access though.

You're right a home should be your castle. But the idea of placing guns outside seems a bit much. And planting them in the yard is not my idea of easy access.
The fact that a home is the owners castle is all the more reason to not plan to be run out of it. I'd be more inclined to make a plan that made sure that wasn't going to happen in the first place.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #12

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie

A garage is one thing...But the OP brought up the premise of placing guns outside the home. Eve touched on burring them outside. I personally don't care how one stores guns in the home. It's the outside I found a little too much. I don't even have a safe in my house. I do have locking gun storage areas that most my guns are in. One being a piece of furniture that does not look like anything guns would be in.No kids here so I have no problem leaving a couple (few) out for easy access though.

You're right a home should be your castle. But the idea of placing guns outside seems a bit much. And planting them in the yard is not my idea of easy access.
The fact that a home is the owners castle is all the more reason to not plan to be run out of it. I'd be more inclined to make a plan that made sure that wasn't going to happen in the first place.
I completely agree!! Better find away to Defend our Castles!! That and the lives within is all we really have!! Hopefully none of us will ever be in a life or death situation within our home!! Nice to be prepared just in case!!

Old 08-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
I completely agree!! Better find away to Defend our Castles!! That and the lives within is all we really have!! Hopefully none of us will ever be in a life or death situation within our home!! Nice to be prepared just in case!!
Hope for the best and prep for the worst. My old man drilled that in my head for years.
...I"m with you that I hope and pray that no one has to actually use that raining for save themselves or family and the worst bad guy we ever see is on the paper targets. But it's good to have a plan and know how to make it work.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #14

Liked 3147 Times on 1875 Posts
Likes Given: 2198

Quote:
i agree, but not completely....a house is a thing made of wood and stone....a home is the people and memories that are made in a house.

houses can be lost in many ways that are beyond your control...they can be built again & again. i would never kill anyone over a house....i would definitely kill someone for the life and safety of myself & the people who make my house a home. the issue is, you can not distinguish when someone is coming in your home uninvited...i'd hate to kill someone cause they were just looking to steal a material object....yet, there is no way i can know if that was their intention, or harming someone i love is their intention. i wouldn't ask to find out if they are entering my home with loved ones present.

it would be a very different situation if i drove up to my house and noticed it had been broken into (or saw someone breaking into the house or another car)...nothing to kill or die over in this scenario imo. just drive away and call the police to check the house.

i just want my loved ones safe, they are what can't be replaced. and i will make the most passive decision possible to keep their safety intact....if being passive isn't an option....well, that is why we are firearm owners imo. absolute last resort to protect what really counts.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

I will not even leave my guns in my car unattended!! The thoughts of someone stealing my car and shooting an officer in high speed chase rings in my head!! Probably a bit far fetched but it keeps my guns in my home or on my body!! Guess that's getting a little off the subject!! But guns are to valuable and dangerous if found in the wrong hands to burry in the backyard like a dog bone!! Besides my pretty Glocks deserve so much better-
Old 08-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

i agree, but not completely....a house is a thing made of wood and stone....a home is the people and memories that are made in a house.

houses can be lost in many ways that are beyond your control...they can be built again & again. i would never kill anyone over a house....i would definitely kill someone for the life and safety of myself & the people who make my house a home. the issue is, you can not distinguish when someone is coming in your home uninvited...i'd hate to kill someone cause they were just looking to steal a material object....yet, there is no way i can know if that was their intention, or harming someone i love is their intention. i wouldn't ask to find out if they are entering my home with loved ones present.

it would be a very different situation if i drove up to my house and noticed it had been broken into (or saw someone breaking into the house or another car)...nothing to kill or die over in this scenario imo. just drive away and call the police to check the house.

i just want my loved ones safe, they are what can't be replaced. and i will make the most passive decision possible to keep their safety intact....if being passive isn't an option....well, that is why we are firearm owners imo. absolute last resort to protect what really counts.
Nice!! I couldn't agree more!! Well put!!

Old 08-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

Besides my pretty Glocks deserve so much better-
Lol not sure if I've ever seen "pretty" and "Glock" used in the same sentence.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 08-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Well you have now!! They are ugly as sin but somebody has to show them some love-
Old 08-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #19

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Carry your CC about the house.

ONE gun loaded in the house,

under my thumb, works, for me.

IF and when I go outside, it goes with me.

JMHO.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #20

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
That's one of those oxymoron statements

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Axxe55 Likes This