Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Not your average home defense question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Not your average home defense question...

I have a serious question about home defense..
Hear me out first..
I have a home defense system set up at home. It involves a 12 gauge AND a pistol beside my bed as well as various pistols hidden in various rooms throughout the house just in case (the pistols are hidden but easily accessible...they are also loaded with an extra mag. I don't have children so I feel comfortable doing this)
Of course I also have rifles for SHTF situations.
And I have various other methods of defense such as a dog, home alarm system, good knowledge of the layout of my house, etc.
I feel that my HD strategy is pretty darn good. Some of you may think it's over board but it's just a hobby for me.

So to my question...
What if a situation gets so bad you have to leave your house?
Do you guys have a weapon OUTSIDE of your house?
Garage? Car? Locked box in the backyard? Etc.
I don't know if this is a good idea or not...
I've heard of people burying firearms but I was thinking of something that could be easily accessible..

So I guess my question is, do you guys keep a firearm outside of your house?
If so, where?
And if so, what type of place do you live? City? Suburb? Country? Boondocks?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

My guns stay in the house. To risky to leave them outside for me. I left a shotgun in my trunk for a couple months one winter when I was in college, and in just a couple months it had some rust forming on it. Between thieves and weather, I will just count on taking one with me if needs be. Maybe if I had an underground bunker....

Old 08-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I agree, seems like a very bad idea. First thing that came to my mind was thieves. If one finds your gun that was stashed outside somewhere, you've now effectively armed a bad guy.

Neighborhood kids could also find it. Not sure what your neighborhood is like, but its just something to think about. If buried, dogs can dig it up.

If you're worried about having to "retreat" from your house I suggest a safe room. Someplace inside your home where you can hole up for awhile without the bad guys being able to get in. Could get expensive for a legit safe room, but it would probably alleviate your fears of what to do if forced to retreat.

Always have clean socks.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #4

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Weapons outside is a bad idea for reasons stated, but also because if by chance they are discovered and used or stolen and used that could be a bad situation..
Also, firearms thought the house in various locations unsecured(not locked in a safe) may present an issue if your house is burglarized while you are not home, likely easily found and stolen and your home owners or renters insurance may have a lot of questions and may not be willing to replace them.

If you're broken into in the middle of the night, I'm going to go out on a limb and say one gun will be more then sufficient and two should give you plenty of piece of mind.

I've known a few ppl who had guns stashed throughout the house and even outside... They were ALL drug dealers.. Just say'n

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

People Like This 
Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 137 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
have you really given serious thought to home defence? in means in the home. which means that if someone breaks into your home at 2am, and you are not required to retreat and are allowed to use deadly force in defence of yourself and loved ones, that means inside the home. pursueing a person outside the home is bad for too many reasons. number one, if you shot at them within the home and missed them or only wounded them and they retreat, and you pursue them and then shoot them, this is no longer SD but murder or manslaughter. number two, that if you took to arms, you should have also have been on the phone to 911 getting police on the way. if you are outside trying to pursue the BG and the police roll up, you have a gun, they don't know you're not the BG! number three, they might have partners in a vehicle outside and now you may end up outnumbered.

so IMO, keep yourself withing the home where you have the better chance of safety and tactical advantage. so no, keeping firearms stashed outside is a ery poor idea for too many reasons.
good points as well as the one on outside storage & kids finding it, made by deadsp0t.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #6

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Premise is a place where we can get ourselves into a situation where as my Dad would say you sh!t in your mess kit. I think you are WAY over thinking this OP.
I mean. just how far are you willing to make your safe zone? Maybe a revolver at the convenience store? You're thinking about seeding the outside with firearms. It's like the home defense version of doomsday preppers.

Stick to the area that you should have in your control. That's your home. I keep a small rifle near a door but that's for four legged critters my dog doesn't get to. THe law allows my castle doctrine area to extend to my property lines but it's a can of worms I'd rather not get into. Anyway, if there was an evildoer getting into one of my buildings I can take a gun with me. I'm still covered and I don't have to worry about it becommming a pile of rust out there in the yard or getting gone somehow.

Keep your guns in the house. They'll stay in better shape and be more secure. I'd think about how I was not going to be run out of my own house before I seeded the property anyway if it was me.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 08-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #7

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
I have a serious question about home defense..
Hear me out first..
I have a home defense system set up at home. It involves a 12 gauge AND a pistol beside my bed as well as various pistols hidden in various rooms throughout the house just in case (the pistols are hidden but easily accessible...they are also loaded with an extra mag. I don't have children so I feel comfortable doing this)
Of course I also have rifles for SHTF situations.
And I have various other methods of defense such as a dog, home alarm system, good knowledge of the layout of my house, etc.
I feel that my HD strategy is pretty darn good. Some of you may think it's over board but it's just a hobby for me.

So to my question...
What if a situation gets so bad you have to leave your house?
Do you guys have a weapon OUTSIDE of your house?
Garage? Car? Locked box in the backyard? Etc.
I don't know if this is a good idea or not...
I've heard of people burying firearms but I was thinking of something that could be easily accessible..

So I guess my question is, do you guys keep a firearm outside of your house?
If so, where?
And if so, what type of place do you live? City? Suburb? Country? Boondocks?

Thanks
Yes-----------------
Old shotgun in my tool/junk shed-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #8

Liked 211 Times on 139 Posts

My in home setup is almost exactly like yours. No kids living in the home and the only visitors I have are family and close friends.

I keep a small revolver hidden in the garage. I spend quite a bit of time out there wrenching on and washing my cars etc.

It is not there so I can chase someone from my home and shoot them as they are running away lol. I put it out their to begin with mainly because the neighbors here have been known to let their dogs run loose. If they aren't aggressive I don't care just pet them and let them be on their way. But I have small dogs and I'm not going to let them be killed by the Rottweiler from down the street (happened to another neighbors small dog 2yrs ago).

Also you have the right to defend yourself against humans wether in your living room, back yard, or at the gas station.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #9

Liked 2308 Times on 1353 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

i think the old basic FIGHT or FLIGHT applies here.

with gun in hand, the best chance for survival is likely FIGHT....if retreating outside with no gun is the best option....lace up those shoes and FLY baby!

its all about surviving a potentially deadly situation....in a HD defense situation BOTH fight and flight doesn't make much sense imo. safely retreating and then grabbing a gun in your yard, then returning to your home to shoot a BG dead....how will it look in court? it may look like you wearing county orange for a long time! and if the BG is armed you just put your self is a very high risk situation.

don't let the macho garbage get the better of you....a home invasion isn't the equal of standing up to a school yard bully....it is a possible situation of life and death....do what gives you & your family the best chance to survive unhurt, whether that includes fight or flight.

seems to me if you STILL have concerns...get your concealed and carry all the time....that way you always have your gun on you.

Last edited by hawkguy; 08-06-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: typos
People Like This 
Old 08-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #10

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Seems like imaginations are running wildly in this thread!! Mans home is a mans castle and likely the be the safest place you will ever be in!! I have a gun on me or within a few feet of me 24/7?? I do believe in hiding a gun or two within the house!! Gun safes are the biggest clue that there may be guns around, perhaps in the gun safe. Sounds elementary but storing all guns in one basket(safe) is a bad practice!! A good thief makes a practice of cracking or stealing safes even the ones we think are bullet proof!! I keep 2 or 3 guns in my safe to hopefully give the illusion "found them all".. Meanwhile I have at least two throughout the house in crazy off the wall places, that I periodically change!! Plus the one that stays on me or near me 24/7!!
Outside of a house fire, I can not imagine ever feeling safer outside my home!! And I can't see any reason to keep or store guns outside in the elements!! Mans home is a mans castle!! You are the kIng/queen!! Prep it for a defense friendly situations!! Try to plan for the worst and hope for the best!! Lock your doors and keep your weapons close to you at all times! But safely away from little ones!!