Not sure where to post?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Not sure where to post??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Get your wife a Ruger LCP, or a Kel Tec P3AT. Very compact, easy to shoot, and you get 6+1 rounds of .380 firepower. It should do the trick. That Ruger SR9 will work well for you, but take a look at the P345.
the ruger LCP is hella nice i completely forgot about it (brain fart). and for some reason i never even saw this post until just now? **** i can see targets fine through a 3 point sight but cant read huge posts on the net, seem to have my priorities straight haha

Old 10-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #12

It doesn't sound like your wife is very interested in the whole thing as it is so why try forcing it by buying her a gun ?

Even $100 is a good start to the price of good family pet that would actually provide her with some real protection like a German Sheppard puppy .

Just last night on my local news a women was attacked at her front door by a man and pushed inside the home with the intention of raping her and her Germen Shep came to the rescue , the Police we telling people to look out for a man who had bites around the Neck , Shoulders and Face .

Sounds to me like old horney toad was about to get his throat ripped out by fido and decided to run for his life .

Old 10-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
It doesn't sound like your wife is very interested in the whole thing as it is so why try forcing it by buying her a gun ?

Even $100 is a good start to the price of good family pet that would actually provide her with some real protection like a German Sheppard puppy .

Just last night on my local news a women was attacked at her front door by a man and pushed inside the home with the intention of raping her and her Germen Shep came to the rescue , the Police we telling people to look out for a man who had bites around the Neck , Shoulders and Face .

Sounds to me like old horney toad was about to get his throat ripped out by fido and decided to run for his life .
haha yea we have a blue nose american and then our little lapdog thats a maltese chiwuawua. but she always wants to go to the range with me and i dont want her to dislocate a shoulder so im looking for something smaller, so she can shoot it when we go, and an excuse to buy another toy for daddy. the weird thing is im sure she would never carry it, but also she always complains about wanting to shoot. such a women

Old 10-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard View Post
davis is not a good gun, i had one it miss fired every other shot, now i have a phoenix 25 cal very good gun for the money.about $150.00 i have never had a problem, it is made by a different company now.
Davis is no longer in business

Old 10-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Davis is no longer in business
true, very old company started in the 1800's i believe. stopped in around 1935 i think and i read somewhere about someone (connected with or buying the co. or something) producing more under a new name or management in like 85' or something along those lines, not too sure though. correct me if im wrong, please.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal408 View Post
true, very old company started in the 1800's i believe. stopped in around 1935 i think and i read somewhere about someone (connected with or buying the co. or something) producing more under a new name or management in like 85' or something along those lines, not too sure though. correct me if im wrong, please.
I believe that Jennings is making them now. Jennings isn't really known for their stellar firearms either though.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:41 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I believe that Jennings is making them now. Jennings isn't really known for their stellar firearms either though.
I believe this is correct, but like you said... they aren't worth pizz on a rock.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:23 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

so i finally decided what to get my wife:

thats a vid of it in action, check it out and tell me what you think, its a very entertaining video as well so enjoy!

Old 10-31-2008, 07:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal408 View Post
i was debating on getting one fore my wife since its small and i dont think she'd be strong enough to pull back the slide on a say a 9mm glock or beretta or anything so i was looking at compacts for her, any suggestions? only think i could think of besides any revolvers would be like a Ruger SR9, but i kinda want it for myself
First of all, your wife needs to decide what is going to be best for her.
The first question she needs to answer honestly is, can she kill someone without hesitation if so threatened. My mom said she wanted a gun in the house and when I asked her if she could point it at an intruder and pull the trigger and kill without hesitation, she told me "no".
I explained to her a gun is a tool used to protect yourself, just like a wrench is used to fix the car. You don't threaten or warn a bad alternator, you use the wrench and replace the alternator.
Hesitating or being unsure can allow an intruder to disarm and kill you.

If your wife decides that having a gun is ok for her, then she needs to do the shopping.
Take her to a shooting range that rents pistols. Let her handle and pick out the one(s) to try. Don't be judgemental or critical. Let her know both the pros and cons of each pistol so she can make the best decision.

My opinion as to what caliber to get is nothing smaller than a .38 or 9mm
If the intruder is under the influence of drugs, a .22 may not do the job with one shot.

A revolver or semi-auto:
Revolvers tend not to have hair triggers unless cocked. If you have a bad round, you just pull the trigger again. I never had a revolver jam.

Double action semi-auto pistols have the advantage of not having to be cocked to fire the first round.

Semi-autos have an advantage of having a light trigger pull possibly enabling an accurate first shot. If not held right when fired, a semi-auto can jam.

I have a S&W Model 19. I can load it with 38 special or 357 magnum shells. One of features I like about it is I don't have to worry about the spring in the magazine. I can leave it loaded for months at a time and it will always be ready to shoot.
I have tried many semi-autos. The one I liked the best was a Browning Hi-Power 9mm. Fairly compact, accurate, easy to cock, and get a consistant grip.

Have your wife take a couple of shooting lessons. Afterall, she probably took driving lessons to learn how to operate a car safely. A good instructor will be able to tell her how to handle and point a pistol (my mom told me you don't aim a pistol, you point it at what you want to shoot, she's right).

As far as defense goes, I believe a dog is best and the pistol is backup. Unfortunately owning a dog or having it with you all the time is not always practical.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:17 PM   #20

Just curious, has you wife shot a gun yet?