Not strong enough...
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Not strong enough...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Not strong enough...

I haven't had the best health for a few years. I can't work the action to chamber a round. Now, Question, Can I use a smaller/weaker recoil spring? Will a weaker spring cause the slide to slam against the end of the cycle and break something? Any suggestions are welcome..

Thanks in advance..

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #2

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I would think that by dropping the weight of the recoil spring you would also have to change the round you shoot.

Have you thought about going to a revolver?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #3

Is it the strength to grip the slide, or the strength to pull the slide back what you lack?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Perhaps an extended charging handle or similar attachment would allow you to use some of your larger arm muscles ratherr than the ones in your hand.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #5

Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 25

You did not state what make and caliber pistol you have, but to answer your question, no, it would not be wise to go with a reduced power spring with the same ammo. If you are having problems with racking the slide as it is, you would still have the same problem with a reduced power spring. If you use it for home defense, you should have a round up the pipe and ready to go anyway. You can also use the rear sight to rack the slide one handed. You can use a belt and /or a holster, or the edge of any hard surface (with your finger off the trigger), snag the rear sight and with a downward push, rack the slide. This is a great technique for one handed shooters. It takes less strength to do a downward pust than using your other hand to pull the slide back. It will take some practice (unloaded), but is well worth a try. If not, I would suggest going with a revolver.

Jim.........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 06-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Good advice above ^^^^.

I would recommend a revolver as well, or a semi-auto shotgun. Both you just load, point and shoot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I would think that by dropping the weight of the recoil spring you would also have to change the round you shoot.

Have you thought about going to a revolver?
Great thought, indeed!