Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Not claiming to be an expert gun guru or shot.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Not claiming to be an expert gun guru or shot.

Just off my range and wanted to put my thoughts down while they were still fresh in my feeble mind. When going out to shoot today I was wondering in a crisis situation (IE: somebody coming at you w/knife in hand) how many of us are so well trained or would have time to get into that perfect weaver stance and line up the front and rear sights dead center on the bad guy. I doubt that I would. So at about six yards using my Sigma 9mm and an IPSC taget as my bad guy I started at the low ready and would point the pistol looking over the top of the slide and fire 2 to 3 rounds. Out of 33 shots 27 were in the -0 circle (about the size of a small dinner plate). I also practiced shooting at about 2-3 yards locking my elbow into my hip and firing a couple rounds and moving back from the target while assuming a two handed grip and firing a few more. The idea is not putting the pistol in grabbing distance of the bad guy and trying to put some distance between you and him. I do not clain any of this as ideas of mine. Some of it I picked up on Handguns on the SMC channel. Curious to see if anyone else practices different techniques.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think that what you mentioned is a great way to train yourself for self defense because where do most gunfights happen? under 7 yards in low light so therefore it is highly unlikely that you will ever see your sights (or even think about seeing your sights) in a self defense situation. I rarely train anything but under 10 yard fast target aquisition rapid fire from out of a carry holster under my shirt. For most of that stuff i only use the front sight, and for the really fast stuff up close its all just point shooting. Yes i do shoot for groups at longer distances occasionally but mostly its controled pairs double taps and Mozambique drills. You stated that you started moving back away from the target while shooting. This is a good start but try maybe moving laterally while still placing rounds on target.

Last edited by Hot Sauce NARC; 06-21-2010 at 06:53 PM.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't claim to be an expert either but most of my defensive practicing is done oddball style. By that I mean no 2 sessions are ever exactly the same. 1 time I might practice clearing malfunctions while another time I'll practice speed against multiple targets, hostage targets, and so on. I feel that helps me a lot more than plain ol plinking all the time. I'm wondering how many practice as I do or are you doing something better? I'm about as far from being a professional shooter as you can get so I don't know all the up to date training methods. I also don't have much of a range either-just the side of the hill of a storm cellar in the back yard.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #4

As long as it stops bullets the side of a storm cellar should do it. We turned an old brush field into a 150 yd range. Doing something different every session makes a huge amount of sense. Moving back laterally to me is the way to go. Have to break myself of going straight back. For the bad guy nothing changes except the distance from his weapon to you.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

It has been said that the difference between a pro and non-pro is that the non-pro practices what he is good at (Weaver stance, aligned perfectly on target), and the pro practices what he needs to practice on. Odd positions, stances, barricades, etc... should help to make you a better overall shooter.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #6

i was always told that if a guy has a knife and is coming at you are going to be cut. So knowing that i think your on the right track with your training. your going to be bleeding hes going to be dead.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

GMack, if I might offer a suggestion. Mount your target holder on runners. Tie a rope to the runners and have someone stand behind you holding the rope. Take your position and, without warning, have the person pull on the rope as quickly as possible, closing the distance between you and the target. Unless the target is moving over absolutely smooth ground, it will bounce and weave; simulating a moving target coming at you. I recommend you do this at first with an unloaded weapon. It is important to have your weapon exactly as you would normally carry it; not in your hand and partially ready.
My friend has his pistol range set up like this, but with a homemade winch to pull the rope much faster than a person can. You might be surprised just how short a period of time you have to get off a single shot.

Last edited by crossfire; 06-21-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
It has been said that the difference between a pro and non-pro is that the non-pro practices what he is good at (Weaver stance, aligned perfectly on target), and the pro practices what he needs to practice on. Odd positions, stances, barricades, etc... should help to make you a better overall shooter.
i semi agree. every shoot time i get i always spend a little time at the end or begining and set aside ammo just for keeping my hand in on the basics. when im trying new things i use one of my 22lr conversions getting it down before using pricey centerfire ammo.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #9

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Tueller Drill, google it. It's just what you are talking about.

You want to know what distance you are likely to encounter an attacker? You will more than likely be smelling the BG's trench breath as you use your weak side arm to fend off a knife or gun attack while you blow out the dirt-bag's heart just after you clear your holster. Not only will you not see the sights, you won't even see your gun!

Be aware, the BG doesn't show up only when you call, PULL. And they don't usually count off before they attack so don't stop fighting after the first BG goes down.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-22-2010, 02:05 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you are holstered up and your draw is a reaction to the BG's attack, and if he is only 2-3 yards from you, you are going to get cut. Pure and simple.
From seven yards a man can close on you in less than two seconds. Over the years I have found that most of my students have needed 1.75 - 2 seconds to draw from concealment and place two shots in a man size target, and that's with everybody standing still.
At a 2-3 yard range, movement away from the attacker is vital. Drawing and shooting while moving fast is vital. The mind set to absorb the attackers blows and stay in the fight is vital. I guess it's all vital if you want to live another day.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.