Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Norinco any Good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Norinco any Good?

Hey!

I am about to purchase my first handgun!
Not sure yet if I'm going to like this type of shooting and was therefore thinking of buying a cheaper gun first. If I do end up liking it I'll invest in the gun I really like, the CZ 75.

I'm not liking the Norinco NZ 75 as much but it's half the price.
My question to you is why the Norinco version is so much cheaper, what the quality is like and how the accuracy is compared to the CZ 75.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

See you around,
Daniel

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2009, 03:45 AM   #2

Any good? I would say not really. I believe Norinco is the largest fire arms manufacturer in china. They are making clones of many popular guns. They are able to make them cheaper by using short cuts in manufacturing, cheaper or lesser grades of material and very cheap labor. I have seen some Norinco stuff that has some really good fit and finish and some stuff that is just plain garbage. It sells because it is priced cheaper! As for accuracy I would say it is hit and miss. You might get one that shoots good or you might get one that just shoots. I have had some Norinco made guns in the past. For me they make for good under the truck seat guns. Something I did not worry about getting beat up a bit and only be needed for close range (like putting down a wounded animal on the farm) and accuracy was not as much an issue. Personally I don't think you would be disappointed with the CZ. I can not say the same for the Norinco.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:36 AM   #3

I see.

That's the thing that I keep hearing too. Some good points that are brought down by some malfunction. E.g. the metal of the frame which seems to be of excellent quality, but then the rail splitting after about 3,500 rounds.

When you're talking about hit and miss regarding accuracy, do you then refer to the same model? Like two NP-22 of which one shoots good and the other poor?

It's to bad you know, I'm just trying to see if I'm liking the pistol shooting era, without spending a whole lot of money on something that I might not like.

Does anyone have any other comments on Norinco handguns or ideas?

See you around,
Daniel

Old 04-06-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Norinco makes an excellent 1911 clone. They also make an excellent Tokarev TT33. I have owned my Norinco Tokarev for 30 years now and I have fired tens of thousands of rounds through it. Not a single problem... my Tokarev looks and shoots as good today, as it did the day I bought it.

Last edited by Mark F; 04-06-2009 at 11:15 AM.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:54 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Daniel,
If possible find a pistol range that rents pistols and shoot a few. That is the most cost effective way of finding out if this sport is right for you.

I've never shot a Norinco but have shot the CZ's and they are nice pistols. One thing to keep in mind is if you buy an inexpensive pistol they don't hold there value and sell for about 50% of new when they are used. On the other hand a good quality pistol will sell for 75% of new value when used. If you keep a quality pistol for a long time in good condition it is often worth more than the orginal purchase price.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #6

Thanks for the tips!
I'll keep on looking and browsing!

See you around,
Daniel

Old 04-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

On the other hand AmsterDan, if someone happens to break into my vehicle and steal my gun... I would much RATHER lose a Norinco than a KIMBER!

That's why I keep a Norinco Tokarev in the car...

Old 04-08-2009, 01:18 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I only have experience with Norinco 1911s, the ones I handled were a bit crude, but they worked. They make a decent platform to build on.

My grandfather used a Norinco .22 carbine for decades at his farm, it was one of the guns that everybody (ranch hands, friends, etc.) was allowed to just grab and use. It didn't get the best maintenance, but it kept working.

From what I've seen, they aren't flawless when it comes to fit and finish, but they are strong and reasonably accurate.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The bottom line is you USUALLY get what you pay for. If you get better quality firearms, naturally the resale price & value held will be quite a bit higher than cheaper guns. I recommend trying out all the different guns you can at a range that rents guns then get the 1 you REALLY want to begin with. That will save you anguish & more money of obtaining the upgrade later.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #10

I saw a friend's Norinco 1911 at my club, based on a standard slide and frame but with different barrel, sights etc and it was really nice.
I wend to buy one and all of them had more play in the slide fit than I was comfortable with, so I ended up putting a secondhand but excellent condition Springfield stainless 1911A1 on layby and now I have it.
It cost more than the new NOrinco, but already had the good sights that would have cost $150 on the Norinco, as well as near perfect slide fit and the fact that it is stainless therefore easier to keep looking good and not likely to rust.

Keep up the fight, or give up the right!