Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Noisy Cricket Commando...new term

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5458 Times on 2850 Posts
Likes Given: 350

when i go to public ranges and always have my ruger mk3 with suppressor for just such an occasion. ive helped quite a few folks overcome some nervous scaredy-catness to having a "OMFG THIS IS AWESOME!!!" kind of day.

even grown crusty old goats who have been shooting for decades get that 7yr old at xmas look on their faces when they shoot that gun heh.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-23-2012, 02:23 AM   #12

Liked 4674 Times on 2260 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Good Job.

Why would someone have a bag full of the things? Much less hand one to a new shooter?
I don't follow? My range bag will hold 8 handguns, ammo for all of them, plus safety gear, targets, staple gun...why wouldn't you have a range bag full of things?

Old 05-23-2012, 02:37 AM   #13

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

I don't follow? My range bag will hold 8 handguns, ammo for all of them, plus safety gear, targets, staple gun...why wouldn't you have a range bag full of things?
I think he means a bag full pf pocket autos.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 05-23-2012, 02:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Good Job.

Why would someone have a bag full of the things? Much less hand one to a new shooter?

Old 05-23-2012, 03:00 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2692 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I do have a shooting bag full of things. Just not those things (Pocket pistols.)
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 05-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #16

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

There are a couple of things that can ruin the experience for a new shooter. Just as you described above, shooting the "crickets" can leave a bad impression. In addition to not liking the feel of a gun, most shooters cannot shoot very accurately with them without much practice. The BIG handguns can leave a bad impression on beginners also. Using a hand cannon for the very first handgun experience can be unpleasant. More than just a few times I have seen someone use a .44 Magnum to teach someone to shoot a handgun, and to me this is just plain unwise. I am big 1911 fan but I think a full-size 9mm is perfect for the beginner shooter, even a .22 LR. Learning the proper grip, stance and sight alignment is important for accuracy and comfort. I use my Ruger Mark II target model for beginners. It is as big as many popular full-sized handguns. I then move on to the 9mm, .45acp, .357 mag, etc. If and only when I think they are ready I will let them shoot my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag.

I have also seen people give their young children a .12 gauge for their very first shotgun, when a .410 or .20 gauge would have been better.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #17

Liked 2446 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

IME starting folks out on .22 range guns is a great start.

I never cease to be amazed at the number of folks

who fall right into firing my 1911A1 or Beretta92,

and enjoy it,

after starting out with the Ruger MK2 and Marlin 60.

"Noisy Crickets", I like that.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #18

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Your a class act no matter what these other guys say
Gotta say GOOD JOB on the proper way to show new shooters a good time.

Crickets...I Love it.

Once at the LGS my daughter saw a guy looking at a .22 Derringer and asks me (not quietly enough) if it goes tink. You should have seen the look on his face, he was pissed and it was priceless.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:48 AM   #19

Quote:
I do have a shooting bag full of things. Just not those things (Pocket pistols.)
Aha...I misread your initial comment ang agree, 1 cricket should be all you need.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:02 AM   #20

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

I have a Ruger 22/45 and a Heritage Rough Rider that are great for new shooters. I always try to start new shooters with a .22 pistol. The sad thing is that there are a bunch of idiots out there that think it is funny to scare a new shooter with too much gun. I say again, "Idiots".

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.