Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Noisy Cricket Commando...new term

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4678 Times on 2263 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Default Noisy Cricket Commando...new term

It happened again...last Sunday I ran up to my gun club to ring out 2 of my 1911's after replacing their recoil springs.

Another member and his wife show up with two guests, a couple in the mid 40's. As there setting up I hear the member telling the RSO that neither of his guests had ever fired a gun before.

This is where I lock and clear my weapons and step back from the firing line to watch.

Our member goes into his range bag and begins producing a handful of noisy crickets? Ruger LCP, Kel Tech P380, Kahr PM 380, Ect, Ect, Ect...

Shortly into the session it painfully obvious that neither of the guests are enjoying the menu so I offer to let them shoot my Colt Series 80.

It's uncanny how an absolute noob can shrink there shot group 2/3rds simply by putting them behind a proper firearm. It's even more amazing how they go from, "ouch this sucks", to "hey, I'm sorta good at this".

Ladies and Gentlemen, please do not take the time and effort to introduce new folks to our sport only to show them a ****ty time behind ****ty guns.

Beating up on pocket autos is not my intent, they have there place, it's just NOT in the hands of noob shooters. Let these folks have fun with guns that are fun to shoot first. Once you've created a new shooter, new 2A voter, and a new CCW holder, THEN you can show them your noisy crickets.

Tack

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #2

Liked 2373 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Well written tack. I agree that a bad first experience means a potential lost person to the sport.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1826 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Thumbs up. Those "Noisy Crickets" are not fun to shoot. I got rid of my Kel-Tec P3AT in a hurry. I bought it used so I did not get hurt but I fully understand why the guy I got it from sold it. Sig P238 is a good shooter. Shot it before I bought it. That 1911 was probably a pleasure for them to shoot after the mouse guns.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 05-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #4

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

There is a place for pocket autos, but Family Fun Day at the range is NOT one of them!

Old 05-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2759 Times on 1598 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

Good move on allowing them to shoot your handgun.

When introducing new people to our activities, there are some things we should do.
Stress safety (including ear and eye protection),
Not make the targets too hard to hit (move them a little closer),
And provide them with a firearm that gives them the best chance to hit with.

(You should've asked the owner how well he shot his crickets. Then move the targets out and demonstrate what a larger handgun can do.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #6

Liked 4678 Times on 2263 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Good move on allowing them to shoot your handgun.

When introducing new people to our activities, there are some things we should do.
Stress safety (including ear and eye protection),
Not make the targets too hard to hit (move them a little closer),
And provide them with a firearm that gives them the best chance to hit with.

(You should've asked the owner how well he shot his crickets. Then move the targets out and demonstrate what a larger handgun can do.)
I posted a similar event that happened with another club member about a year ago, he had two young ladies, noob's, shooting similar noisy crickets and flinching the entire time. That day I was breaking in a new CZ75B 9 mm and put the young ladies behind it with the same result. Frowns turned upside down and they really got onto it, actually began competing between each other for the best shot group.

Since that time I always make sure I've got at least 1 full size all metal auto and 100 rounds for it in my range bag...just in case.

We never know when the opportunity to create a shooter will arise so I try to be prepared.

I've not yet pulled the offending members aside to discuss their poor choice of
introductory hand guns. They'd have to pretty thick to not take the hint.

Tack

Old 05-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I posted a similar event that happened with another club member about a year ago, he had two young ladies, noob's, shooting similar noisy crickets and flinching the entire time. That day I was breaking in a new CZ75B 9 mm and put the young ladies behind it with the same result. Frowns turned upside down and they really got onto it, actually began competing between each other for the best shot group.

Since that time I always make sure I've got at least 1 full size all metal auto and 100 rounds for it in my range bag...just in case.

We never know when the opportunity to create a shooter will arise so I try to be prepared.

I've not yet pulled the offending members aside to discuss their poor choice of
introductory hand guns. They'd have to pretty thick to not take the hint.

Tack
Had a similar experience...

"big stud boy" shows up with "Hot chicks". "Stud boy" starts prancing and strutting like a cock rooster. He breaks out is cricket in .40 cal and it becomes painfully obvious very quickly all three "hot chicks" are noobs and NOT liking whats happening/not enjoying themselves.

Enter FMJ and politely suggests to "hot chicks" they might enjoy shooting what he has to offer a bit more. he then offers up the Springer loaded and/or the 686 with some "light loads" he uses for youngest son.

They really began to enjoy themselves. FMJ slid right into one of his favorite roles and thats instructing new shooters and was having a great time in his role and enjoying the presence of hot chicks on the range.

After less than 1/2 hour of this happy time, "Stud boy" takes offense. Huffs and puffs and tells "hot chicks" in nasty tones "I'M leaving.... NOW!!"

Happy time ends Fmj goes back to shooting by himself with a little less enjoyment/gusto than before

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Last edited by fmj; 05-23-2012 at 12:19 AM.
scidog68 Likes This 
Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #8

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
It happened again...last Sunday I ran up to my gun club to ring out 2 of my 1911's after replacing their recoil springs.

Another member and his wife show up with two guests, a couple in the mid 40's. As there setting up I hear the member telling the RSO that neither of his guests had ever fired a gun before.

This is where I lock and clear my weapons and step back from the firing line to watch.

Our member goes into his range bag and begins producing a handful of noisy crickets? Ruger LCP, Kel Tech P380, Kahr PM 380, Ect, Ect, Ect...

Shortly into the session it painfully obvious that neither of the guests are enjoying the menu so I offer to let them shoot my Colt Series 80.

It's uncanny how an absolute noob can shrink there shot group 2/3rds simply by putting them behind a proper firearm. It's even more amazing how they go from, "ouch this sucks", to "hey, I'm sorta good at this".

Ladies and Gentlemen, please do not take the time and effort to introduce new folks to our sport only to show them a ****ty time behind ****ty guns.

Beating up on pocket autos is not my intent, they have there place, it's just NOT in the hands of noob shooters. Let these folks have fun with guns that are fun to shoot first. Once you've created a new shooter, new 2A voter, and a new CCW holder, THEN you can show them your noisy crickets.

Tack
Your a class act no matter what these other guys say

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 05-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #9

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I agree 100%, good job for stepping up and showing them a good first experience.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2706 Times on 1346 Posts
Likes Given: 263

Good Job.

Quote:
Why would someone have a bag full of the things? Much less hand one to a new shooter?
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman