Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Noisy Cricket Commando...new term (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/noisy-cricket-commando-new-term-64981/)

Tackleberry1 05-22-2012 10:54 PM

Noisy Cricket Commando...new term

It happened again...last Sunday I ran up to my gun club to ring out 2 of my 1911's after replacing their recoil springs.

Another member and his wife show up with two guests, a couple in the mid 40's. As there setting up I hear the member telling the RSO that neither of his guests had ever fired a gun before.:eek:

This is where I lock and clear my weapons and step back from the firing line to watch.

Our member goes into his range bag and begins producing a handful of noisy crickets? Ruger LCP, Kel Tech P380, Kahr PM 380, Ect, Ect, Ect...:eek:

Shortly into the session it painfully obvious that neither of the guests are enjoying the menu so I offer to let them shoot my Colt Series 80.

It's uncanny how an absolute noob can shrink there shot group 2/3rds simply by putting them behind a proper firearm. It's even more amazing how they go from, "ouch this sucks", :mad:to "hey, I'm sorta good at this".:)

Ladies and Gentlemen, please do not take the time and effort to introduce new folks to our sport only to show them a ****ty time behind ****ty guns.

Beating up on pocket autos is not my intent, they have there place, it's just NOT in the hands of noob shooters. Let these folks have fun with guns that are fun to shoot first. Once you've created a new shooter, new 2A voter, and a new CCW holder, THEN you can show them your noisy crickets. :)

Tack

kytowboater 05-22-2012 11:01 PM

Well written tack. I agree that a bad first experience means a potential lost person to the sport.

JTJ 05-22-2012 11:45 PM

Thumbs up. Those "Noisy Crickets" are not fun to shoot. I got rid of my Kel-Tec P3AT in a hurry. I bought it used so I did not get hurt but I fully understand why the guy I got it from sold it. Sig P238 is a good shooter. Shot it before I bought it. That 1911 was probably a pleasure for them to shoot after the mouse guns.

Olympus 05-23-2012 12:01 AM

There is a place for pocket autos, but Family Fun Day at the range is NOT one of them!

danf_fl 05-23-2012 12:13 AM

Good move on allowing them to shoot your handgun.

When introducing new people to our activities, there are some things we should do.
Stress safety (including ear and eye protection),
Not make the targets too hard to hit (move them a little closer),
And provide them with a firearm that gives them the best chance to hit with.

(You should've asked the owner how well he shot his crickets. Then move the targets out and demonstrate what a larger handgun can do.)

Tackleberry1 05-23-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 811166)
Good move on allowing them to shoot your handgun.

When introducing new people to our activities, there are some things we should do.
Stress safety (including ear and eye protection),
Not make the targets too hard to hit (move them a little closer),
And provide them with a firearm that gives them the best chance to hit with.

(You should've asked the owner how well he shot his crickets. Then move the targets out and demonstrate what a larger handgun can do.)

I posted a similar event that happened with another club member about a year ago, he had two young ladies, noob's, shooting similar noisy crickets and flinching the entire time. That day I was breaking in a new CZ75B 9 mm and put the young ladies behind it with the same result. Frowns turned upside down :) and they really got onto it, actually began competing between each other for the best shot group.

Since that time I always make sure I've got at least 1 full size all metal auto and 100 rounds for it in my range bag...just in case.

We never know when the opportunity to create a shooter will arise so I try to be prepared.

I've not yet pulled the offending members aside to discuss their poor choice of
introductory hand guns. They'd have to pretty thick to not take the hint.:cool:

Tack

fmj 05-23-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 (Post 811205)
I posted a similar event that happened with another club member about a year ago, he had two young ladies, noob's, shooting similar noisy crickets and flinching the entire time. That day I was breaking in a new CZ75B 9 mm and put the young ladies behind it with the same result. Frowns turned upside down :) and they really got onto it, actually began competing between each other for the best shot group.

Since that time I always make sure I've got at least 1 full size all metal auto and 100 rounds for it in my range bag...just in case.

We never know when the opportunity to create a shooter will arise so I try to be prepared.

I've not yet pulled the offending members aside to discuss their poor choice of
introductory hand guns. They'd have to pretty thick to not take the hint.:cool:

Tack

Had a similar experience...

"big stud boy" shows up with "Hot chicks". "Stud boy" starts prancing and strutting like a cock rooster. He breaks out is cricket in .40 cal and it becomes painfully obvious very quickly all three "hot chicks" are noobs and NOT liking whats happening/not enjoying themselves. :mad:

Enter FMJ and politely suggests to "hot chicks" they might enjoy shooting what he has to offer a bit more. he then offers up the Springer loaded and/or the 686 with some "light loads" he uses for youngest son. :)

They really began to enjoy themselves. :)FMJ slid right into one of his favorite roles and thats instructing new shooters and was having a great time in his role and enjoying the presence of hot chicks on the range.:D:D

After less than 1/2 hour of this happy time, "Stud boy" takes offense. Huffs and puffs and tells "hot chicks" in nasty tones "I'M leaving.... NOW!!" :mad:

Happy time ends:( Fmj goes back to shooting by himself with a little less enjoyment/gusto than before:(

HOSSFLY 05-23-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 (Post 811092)
It happened again...last Sunday I ran up to my gun club to ring out 2 of my 1911's after replacing their recoil springs.

Another member and his wife show up with two guests, a couple in the mid 40's. As there setting up I hear the member telling the RSO that neither of his guests had ever fired a gun before.:eek:

This is where I lock and clear my weapons and step back from the firing line to watch.

Our member goes into his range bag and begins producing a handful of noisy crickets? Ruger LCP, Kel Tech P380, Kahr PM 380, Ect, Ect, Ect...:eek:

Shortly into the session it painfully obvious that neither of the guests are enjoying the menu so I offer to let them shoot my Colt Series 80.

It's uncanny how an absolute noob can shrink there shot group 2/3rds simply by putting them behind a proper firearm. It's even more amazing how they go from, "ouch this sucks", :mad:to "hey, I'm sorta good at this".:)

Ladies and Gentlemen, please do not take the time and effort to introduce new folks to our sport only to show them a ****ty time behind ****ty guns.

Beating up on pocket autos is not my intent, they have there place, it's just NOT in the hands of noob shooters. Let these folks have fun with guns that are fun to shoot first. Once you've created a new shooter, new 2A voter, and a new CCW holder, THEN you can show them your noisy crickets. :)

Tack

Your a class act no matter what these other guys say :p

MrWray 05-23-2012 01:23 AM

I agree 100%, good job for stepping up and showing them a good first experience.

Overkill0084 05-23-2012 01:27 AM

Good Job.
Quote:

Our member goes into his range bag and begins producing a handful of noisy crickets? Ruger LCP, Kel Tech P380, Kahr PM 380, Ect, Ect, Ect...
Why would someone have a bag full of the things? Much less hand one to a new shooter?